Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Napturals bring it all!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Luvlybelizean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvlybelizean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Napturals bring it all!!!
    Posted: January 24 2007 at 4:20pm

im seeing plenty of scattered threads with problems that ive never heard before or experienced we need to come together and share our experiences/ solutions : dry hair, split ends, flat ironing tips and solutions-  come on napturals bring it all!! 

we need a s.o.s chapter to go to when we need it to avoid searching all over for ideas we missed Shocked.

Edited by Luvlybelizean - January 24 2007 at 4:25pm
"A rose is still and always will be a rose"~Aretha Franklin.* Remember beauty is in the eyes of the beholder*
Last relaxer:4/06
Trans. styles: weaves&braids
goal:4-6" natural
Currently: 4"uneven
PickledGeuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PickledGeuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2007 at 2:25pm
I agree!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvlybelizean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 8:27am
PG since ur a junior member already can you or how do you keep a thread as a sticky note in the first few post?  Do u know?
"A rose is still and always will be a rose"~Aretha Franklin.* Remember beauty is in the eyes of the beholder*
blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 2:15pm
I am only transitioning but I was wondering if anyone else is seeing knots at the ends of their hair...like knots on a single strand. TIA
Hair album
pw:Romeo
kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2007 at 7:59pm
YES!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PickledGeuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 2:17pm
Hey... Concerning the first question, I am not sure how to keep threads as a sticky, but something says it has to be made a sticky by an Administrator.  As far as knots in your hair are concerned, HECK YES!  And most times, they don't go away, unless you or someone else want to sit down and pick out every knot with a needle, just to have them come back.  It's just something about curly hair, I'd say.  Oh well, I just deal, it's not too much of a big deal. Wink
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 12:55pm

I get knots, they are hard to avoid. They come with the territory and if you trim them out than you trim above them.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 2:28pm
Thanks for the advise cmesweet & pickledgeuse, I didn't start seeing them till I returned to flat ironing...I was trying everything to avoid them but oh well I will just cut them off if I see anymore.
Hair album

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvlybelizean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 8:56am
hi ladies sorry for my late response,im all over campus :(
i get knots too but not as often to the point where im losing hair or concerned. i use a detangling comb on my partially damp hair and its ok.

I would really love to see a refernece or a sticky up for naturals, is there a administrator among us, so  i can pm for help?
MsMocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 7:01am
I find that detangling, keeping the moisturised and trimming regularly helps keep my ends good. I went through a phase of not trimming regularly and then all of a sudden it just creeps up on you and you have to trim an inch!

My dilemma is how to you guys style your hair after washing?

I currently just put it in about 6-8 plaits (I find that twists often mean more detangling once my hair dries), or 5 large canerows going back.  Does anyone air dry in rollersets?

Edited by MsMocha - February 06 2007 at 7:18am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PickledGeuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 2:25pm
I'm sure many people, including myself have air dried in roller sets.  I find it even more difficult to do when you're natural because the hair has to lie flat.  I know what you mean by trimming regularly.  Every time I turn around I see a split end.  I think I'm going to go back to using Mango Butter ..I have tried it on my natural hair just yet.  As far as styling natural hair after washing, girl, I don't freaking know!.. Throughout my transition, I find myself having messed up hair.  But since i'm so dedicated to have natural hair.. I don't care.  Some weeks I may straighten it, and it looks really nice if I haven't put heat on it for a minute.  I guess the rollersets take time and patience.  
MsMocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 3:31pm
Yea, it's hard...I airdry in plaits/twist and then I have to face a big fro', but I don't want to get used to heat...I might try air drying in rollersets for a while to de-volumise my ultra thick hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PickledGeuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2007 at 7:54am
I know what you mean.  I just wash & go, even though it looks a mess because a lot my hair hasn't reverted.  I think it's going to take a while for it to all revert to my natural texture, since I blow dried and flat ironed for a few weeks..Anyways, I was thinking today ..if a natural who is extremely curly hair doesn't detangle once in awhile, can her hair dread up?
MsMocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2007 at 8:10am

Maybe not quite dread up but it may get matted or just be hell detangle when you eventually do.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 2:26pm
My hair definetly grows outward lol so I can't wear it out curly right now...I plan to airdry in the summer when I can conwash/detangle often so that it doesn't get matted. But when I did conwash I put it in a bun or added a phony pony tail. Right now I am blowdrying the roots straight and flat ironing the length. HTH
Hair album
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 12:15pm
In the summer, I do wash n go puffs.  My hair is getting bigger and I hope I can still do this during the upcoming summer because it get tangled so fast. I might just detangle sooner than once a week in the summer.

In the winter, right after I wash I make big plaits and keep the towel on my hair for a while. I wait until it is partially dry and make small braids or twists. Sometimes I make designs or either make frenchrolls and other protective styles out of my braids and twists so that they will not rub on my clothes
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

MsMocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 3:52pm
Does anyone here do henna treatments and if so what do you condition with afterwards, I'm wondering if the ORS Replenishing Pak will be too much.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvlybelizean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 12:22pm
about split ends i just trimmed my hair last night i used the twist technique: i twist sections and trimmed only the ends.  this was my first trim since i went natural in 05 ( i have a few inches of relaxer)
It felt good to get rid of the relaxed ends(some of it at least)  I was inspire by a book called Textured Tresses By Diane Dacosta  a great read for any type of hair but mostly naturals she stated that Sistahs love to hold on to their hair wether damaged or not; i agree, after going natural i was so determined to see healthy hair.
 In this book she gave a few indian, african and asian recipes to stimulate hair growth as well a doing a steam treatment ( i learned another way to treat my hair!!) she sugests using shea butter to prevent split ends from riding up the  hair shaft
any who thats the power of reading

how do you keep your natural ends healthy, and do you  trim regularly?
do you believe that naptural glories need reg. trims?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PickledGeuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 3:04pm
.. Well as much as I don't want to, I trim every 8 weeks or so. For some reason I end up getting some nasty split ends, and that just ticks me off. I'll go as long as I can, but if my ends start looking a mess, IT'S TIME TO CHOP! I don't think no one needs trims if their ends are in tact and on point. Sometimes maybe a little dusting just to keep it nice and neat, but otherwise I say, just let it grow. PS: I can't keep my ends healthy for nothing, unless I just leave them alone, trim, and give them moisture.   All of the relaxed ends won't quit splitting. -- I've never used Shea Butter on my hair before. I need to get a new moisturizer!
MsMocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 3:17pm

ORS Olive Oil Lotion is a good moisturiser and shea butter on the ends or hair for that matter is great.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic