Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please HELP! My hair turned BLACK!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
haileyhailey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haileyhailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please HELP! My hair turned BLACK!
    Posted: February 07 2007 at 4:28pm
Please PLEASE respond/help if you can.
I dyed my hair to get it back to my natural medium brown color (it was reddish before) and it turned BLACK!

I used a temporary dye (Loreal Color Spa) but they normally don't wash out like the boxes will say they do.

What would you do or has anyone been in this situation before????

I look likea horrid mess and am going home to wash my hair repeatedly!

Thanks,
Hailey Cry
Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 11:33pm
As much as you dont want to hear this, and as overused as this phrase is, please go see a professional color expert. removing black from hair is and complicated process, and while i could probably to it myself, thats only because i have an extensive knowledge of how color removers and bleach will affect my own hair, and i also have a decent ammount of knowledge of how these chemicals will affect hair in general. This type of knowledge will come only from trial and error. It would be difficult for me to advise you on how to proceed with removing the color, as i know nothing of your hair type. Going to a professional who can get their hands on your hair, and question you about prevoius dye jobs and other chemical processes is the safest bet for you right now.
learn to love what you were born with
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haileyhailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 12:08am
thanks.
I am wondering though if it is "really" black since this was a temporary hair dye I used?
Alsao, any idea of costs to go to salon for this process?
thanks again!
hailey
charkkatz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charkkatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 1:46am
Hi love!!

FIRST:  Take a nice, deep breath.  Your hair is going to be fine.  I went through this terrifying experience recently as well!!!  Even though you may have used a temporary dye, your hair from what you have described seems to have become porous.  This happens because of overprocessing, and it means that your hair will absorb temporary color more readily and easily and may hold on to it longer.  Don't worry though there is a solution!  Unfortunately, it will cost some money if you really want to get back on track.  You NEED NEED NEED to get the layers of coloring that you have put on your hair stripped until you can see what is underneath.  This has to be done by a professional.  This process is drying and you will need some serious deep conditioning after.  BUT this will rid your hair of the black and will lighten it up.  The red may come back because all you did by dying it was cover it up.  You can get it tinted/toned over to cancel out the red by a professional (but not toned too dark don't worry...you can still cancel it out by having the professional use the correct brunette tones).  The red may be able to lift out but you don't want to dry it out and lift out all of the pigment of your hair.  It's worth the money for corrective color and I wouldn't reccommend store dye in the future....trust a professional with your lovely locks because they know how the chemicals work and can acheive the look you want for you. 
GOOD LUCK!!

P.S. As far as costs go...I paid $200 in the San Francisco, CA area at an upscale salon but you can probably get it done cheaper.  I just really like the salon that I go to :)

Edited by charkkatz - February 08 2007 at 1:48am
Charlotte
(The blonde brunette)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haileyhailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 10:54am
Thanks Charlotte.
I have had that done before (years ago when I THOUGHT I was stupider).
I will give this a week or so first, just to see if it lightens up but then that will probably by my route. 
charkkatz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charkkatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 1:39pm
Hahaha I have done this a few times too and then i'd get the urge to fix it myself by dying it darker...I somehow manage to convince myself that I can take my hair coloring into my own hands!  Oy.  I'm just leaving it to the professionals from now on.  But I've learned a lot at least!!
Charlotte
(The blonde brunette)
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 8:55pm
Two suggestions. One try stripping the color by washing it alot.Use something harsh like dishwashing detergent or dandraff shampoo.

If after about a week it is still too dark~you could try COLORFIX by clairol. It is a oil based product that removes temp. hair colors. It is not damaging to hair really because it is oil based. Then you can color with a new color of your choice.
chinastop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinastop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 9:43pm
^She might have better luck with Clairol Metalex actually it's designed for semi-perms, I think colorfix only removes perm. colors (IIRC)

Or go the whole bleach cap routine

Edited by chinastop - February 08 2007 at 9:44pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haileyhailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 9:52pm

*Sniff*

You are all SOOOO wonderful! Thanks for all the help!

Hailey
charkkatz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charkkatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 10:43pm

All I have to say is...unless you've been to beauty school or are under the supervision of someone who is certified in cosmetology...I wouldn't put your hair in your own hands...it's chemistry that is beyond the box and could make your hair worse.

Edited by charkkatz - February 08 2007 at 10:44pm
Charlotte
(The blonde brunette)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 11:38pm
That's what I meant Metalex! thanks chinastop...sorry about the mix up.

The Metalex is good I have just used it 6 months ago. I colored with this God awful strawberry shortcake red (may look fine on some people,but NOT on me!!)
I had a wedding the next day and I couldnt go looking like that. I used the metalex that night (it turns your hair kinda orange looking) and the next morning my husband ran out and got me a medium brown and I was good to go for the wedding! Just in the knick of time.

It turned out kinda black looking,but I thought it was still better then strawberry shortcake.

Anyways,a week later it faded to a light brownish red. So that's why I think you should try the washing method first.

Edited by julesyjul88 - February 08 2007 at 11:43pm
chinastop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinastop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 11:42pm
^JJ, you helped b/c just triggered my memory because of course Clairol doesn't make colorfix..gotta admit that colorfix is much more catchy ;)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 11:45pm
Where on earth did I get colorfix from?  I think someone in another thread posted it and I just mixed them up. DUH!
Yorkieluvr06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yorkieluvr06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2007 at 6:10pm
The colorfix is made by Jherri Rhedding,and this does actually work!! It says its supposed to lift pemanent colors,but I had used the clairol Natural instincts semi-perm for about 7 months,I used a medium brown to cover over bleached hair and came out almost black!! I just got fed up of the color,it was so flat and dull looking and wanted to go to a light brown with lotsa blonde.So, I used the colorfix about 3 times and almost all the color had come out,I was left with a light browny orange color,which was ok since I was gonna re-color that day.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic