Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternatives to Proactiv?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cherryblsmgrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherryblsmgrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternatives to Proactiv?
    Posted: February 09 2007 at 10:57am
Hey everyone...

There's been lots of talk about Proactiv vs. other skin care methods in this forum in the past. I'm in need of some opinions. My friend and I started using Proactiv a few months ago. The product is working great for me....I'm one of the luck ones, I guess. Anyway, my friend tells me that after a few months she is still breaking out and Proactiv is only drying out her skin. I told her to stop using the stuff and see a Dermatologist. Unfortunately, she's a freelance writer without health benefits. She's looking for an over-the-counter regimen. I told her about tea tree oil but she's also looking for a face wash and toner. Suggestions?
gsxxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsxxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2007 at 4:40pm
I've noticed the basic proactiv system doesn't include anything for moisturizing after you've cleansed. Personally when i tried it at first and follow the 1 2 3 steps they gave me i found my skin drying out as well..

i stopped using it for a few days, and returned to using it, but in addition to the cleanser, the toner, and then after applying the lotion to the effected areas as directed...i let that dry & then applyd lotion over my entire face.. ( i personnally use aveda as i know it's all natural products) that's worked much better for me since i've started that...
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 5:37am
Some dermatologists costs less then a month supply of Proactiv does. I dont have insurance either and mine only charges 50 dollars for the visit,and he is VERY good! 
As far as over the counter...everything is drying. Murrad is worse then proactiv in my opinion.
You could try ordering this face wash online called NEOSTRATA facial cleanser. It's sold on a web-site by skinstore.com for like 14 bucks.
Anyways,it is completely non-drying. It contains 4% Pha which is like Alpha hydroxy (but it's not it's gluconolactone). So it chemically exfoiliates (since dead skin cells are a part of having acne)

My derm. reccomended this to me,and I will NEVER go back to any other face wash again. It makes skin very smooth,and prepares it for other acne meds. to be applied.
 Some people can be sensitive to it though (those who are sensitive to salicylic acid or aplha hydroxy probably shouldnt use it)

Edited by julesyjul88 - February 11 2007 at 5:40am
Astarte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astarte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 8:38pm
I would recommend trying Rachel Perry skin products.  They've never irritated my skin, and work wonderfully (to be fair, I do see a dermatologist though).  The Perfectly Clear Herbal Antiseptic is particularly very good for acne-prone skin.

http://www.rachelperry.net/

SexySadie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SexySadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2007 at 4:46pm
Try tea tree oil soap. You can get it from Sally's Beauty Supply or Puritan's Pride. It's incredibly cheap and it works wonders!

Edited by SexySadie - April 04 2007 at 4:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic