Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Have acne???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have acne???
    Posted: February 11 2007 at 5:55am
I read this great book called HEALING ADULT ACNE by Richard G. fried (who was just featured on Oprah not too long ago)

Anyone suffering acne (from any age) should really read this book. There is so much information and guidance in it if you have acne.

I had it terrible about a year ago.After I read this book,I felt much better and had more of an understanding of acne and the MANY different things that cause it.

I also know that caffeine and a vitamin called iodine can make break outs worse. Iodine is in alot of multi-vitamins and in seafood.

Anyone care to share their personal expriences of what makes acne worse? (or better)
my3dogs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my3dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 1:22am
Thanks for the book title! I'll have to check it out whenever I get to the store.

I remember during my early teens I tried using Proactiv after all of the over-the-counter creams/cleansers/etc. failed to heal my acne. It turned out to be a big mistake because my face became inflamed and broke out even more than usual. It even managed to make my oily skin extremely dry and flaky. My mother recently tried Murad and had to stop because her face swelled up so bad and she got a terrible infection from all of the breakouts she started getting after using it. It took her almost two weeks for the swelling and redness to fade. It is a safe bet that I won't be trying Murad ever in this lifetime.

What has worked.... Not a whole lot, to be honest. I found a product called Acne Free in Walmart, which worked better than anything I've tried. I would still have the occasional breakout, but at least it didn't cause redness or cause me to break out even more than usual. The product line I used was the Severe Acne Free kit, by the way. My only complaint would be that it did slightly dry out my upper cheeks and my nose, which was easily fixed by applying a light moisturizer along that area after I used the products.

As for food making my acne worse... I haven't noticed much food irritating my acne as long as I was my hands after I eat anything greasy. The only food I have a problem with is when my mother makes breaded mushrooms since she soaks them in butter.
400,000 dead | 2.5 million displaced | 10,000 dying every month | savedarfur.org

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 6:10am
One thing the book does say,is how destructive it is for companies (such as murad and proactiv) to make these CLAIMS that nearly everyone gets clear skin from using their products. That it gets people's hopes up and then when it doesnt work for them,they lose their faith that ANY product will work,and they give up hope,and think something is wrong with them.

It also says how many different causes of ACNE there are (hormonal,skin doesnt exfoliate properly,infection,too much oil,ROSEACA,stress,etc) EACH problem requires a different course of action! so Murad's CLAIM that it treats all these different things is SUCH A LIE. The only active ingrediant it even has is SALICYLIC ACID,which MANY over the counter products have.That simply isnt enough to treat all ACNE.
The book also helps you deal with the emotional impact of Acne. Stating that ACNE is a MAJOR cause of severe depression!

It gives you hope because he says there are SO many new and different treatments for acne,that just about any kind can be controlled. It gives you a complete list of acne treatments,how much they cost,how long before they work,what is best for what skin type...
I wrote many of these things down to take with me to the dermatologist office. It helped him make an accurate diagnoses,and I"m happy to say my acne is MUCH MUCH better then before!
But since I had tried proactiv and murad and nothing worked for me,I did feel hopeless. I didnt even want to go the dermatologist because i didnt think it would help.
I'm sure there are others like me out there,so that's why I wanted people to know they arent alone. But not to give up!
the book was a life saver.I hope you like reading it and find it as useful as I did.

SexySadie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SexySadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2007 at 4:42pm
I just posted about this in the psoriasis thread because it helps that as well....

Anyroad....try tea tree oil soap. You can get it from Sally's Beauty Supply stores or Puritan's Pride ( www.puritan.com ) (you can also get a catalog from PP).

I had some pretty bad acne. My face, my neck, my back, and my shoulders. But after about 2 1/2 weeks of using this soap...it's certainly not as bad. And it's certainly cheaper than Proactiv and Acne Free. From Sally's Beauty Supply you can get the generic kind (that's what I have...it's generic of Paul Mitchell) for $2.98. From Puritan's Pride you can get 3 bars for $6.90.

I hope this helped!
brunett_bunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunett_bunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 9:47am

First things first, try to eat healthy. I find that drinking tons of water and green teas are awesome and beneficial to YOU and YOUR SKIN. WIthin 1 day, your skin will feel brighter and softer… Now just try doing this for about a week. by the end of the week youll be like WOW. And this might be a lil gross, but if your drinking enough water, your pee should be clear. thats how u no.

I know its hard, but lay off the caffiene. It makes your Skin Reeaally oily. (blackheads) And it gives u pimples. If you reall wanna get crazy wit it,
Take vitamin supplements E, A, C, and D… Look them up. And eat plenty of vegetables…. just try if for like a week.

Do: water, vitamins, tea, Veggies, and good healthy foods.

Don't:  soda/chocolate/fried foods = BAD

TRUST ME.. You' ll not only look awesome on the outside, youll feeel the same way on the inside. Now I have great looking almost perfect skin(except for those tiny blackheads sometimes or that unexpected zit) BUT before I started eating good my skin was all oily and had some pimples. most of all LOTS of blackheads. Now its soft and cuddlyWink  Good luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 11:48pm
Thanks for sharing Wink I also agree caffeine is horrible for people with acne~makes it worse.
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 2:19pm
use micheals teen and adult skin factors support for acne take it three times a day, use a oil carrier moisturizer such as almond oil or hazel nut oil, use a gentle soap nothing with chemicals try an organic soap, and spot treat with tea tree oil.  Eat good amounts of zinc and anything with burdock root in it or red clover flower Ive been free of acne since i was a teenager I am in my mid 20s now. I have followed this routine for years!

good luck!
Babycheeks
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2007 at 9:15pm
Babycheeks, does it also help with the scars?
MileHiGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MileHiGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 12:41am
I'm in my 30's and always had the occasional breakout. A couple years ago it got bad, and a friend suggested Proactiv, so I did the 2 month free trial. Within a week, my skin had improved...then about a month later a coworker asked what I was using on my face, as my skin looked so smooth and 'glowing'.  I continued with Proactiv for about 6 months. I tried easing back into drugstore stuff for cost reasons, but slowly pimples started to return.  My skin doesn't like products with salicylic acid, which I'm glad I've learned finally.  It works great for some, just as Proactiv works great for some as well. It's all a trial and error finding the right product/ingredients for your skin.
Several months ago, my breakouts escalated to acne.  I bought some more Proactiv to start on that again.  Well, it wasn't giving me the results I had experienced before.  I was getting depressed, as I didn't know what to do. 
When I was at my dr's (family physician) for a back injury, I explained my skin problem as well.  She had suggested a Jessner's peel.  I researched it,but saw it had salicylic acid in it, so I wasn't sold on it.  As I was searching the internet, I learned about a TCA peel.  This was a deeper peel, with downtime.  I was intrigued, and bought some off ebay. The dr's office wanted $200 for one session, and I got a small bottle off ebay for $20, that should provide me with about 6 sessions!
I used it and started peeling two day later for about 3 days.  I cannot express how it has totally changed my skin! The acne was GONE.  I have since done a 2nd peel (they can only be done every 4-6 wks) and my skin continues to behave. I still might get a pms pimple, but nothing like I experienced before.  I don't spend all that time anymore trying to conceal the breakouts with makeup...I really don't worry about it anymore! I'm going to sound like a commercial...I've really gotten my self confidence back!
I still continue to use the Proactiv, as I like the exfoliation I get with the cleanser, and the toner has glycolic in it that works for me, unlike a toner with salicylid acid.
The TCA peel is an additional suggestion for someone to try. If you have alot of acne, I would not suggest microdermabrasion, as that will only irritate the breakouts.  A peel (of whatever type/strength you might need) will help better.  I used a low strength TCA of 15% to start out with.
I hope everyone can find the best remedy for their skin!Thumbs%20Up 
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 7:26am
Jules you are so right about acne being caused by so many different things.  For me, chocolate, sugar and caffeine never had any bad effects on mine (I've tried giving up all and saw no difference - and I am always careful to wash my hands after eating the chocolate and not touch my face with the oils).

Giving up wheat is the first thing that did wonders for mine though, I can't believe how soft and smooth my skin is!  Its so nice I'm in the process of trying to wean myself off of proactiv, which has been the only thing that worked for me for years. 

I've tried dermatologists, I don't know if mine just weren't that good but after taking antibiotics for a year and being on retin A, and none of that doing any good, I gave up on them a long time ago and don't intend to go back.  If only they had just told me not to eat breads!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 12:27pm
Caffeine and chocolate have not had any adverse effects for me either. I am a chocoholic, and love coffee.What makes me brake out is sugar. I did an yeast cleanse, and it has helped me tremendoulsy. I have also noticed that when I don't exfoliate regularly, I tend to brake out more. Though, I have to be careful which product I use. I was using the st.ives apricot scrub renew and firm. It made me brake out. Dove has a gentle exfoliating cleanse that seema to be working very well form me. I also use meaningful beauty by Cindy Crawford. I really like it, my skin just glows, but the cleanser dosen't exfoliat enough for me. I would like to try one those peels mentioned before, I just don't which one to use, there are so many out there.  
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 7:48pm
no it does not work for scars if you want to fix scars i have a mixed oil treatment that i make from home for that but the oil used in it is VERY High but its the most effective in clearing scars. Now of course not icepick scars that needs treatment in a office.
Babycheeks
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 9:05am
You know Alisa, that gets me thinking, I bet sugar only causes breakouts in those that have a problem with yeast.  It would make sense since eating sugar feeds them and gets them to reproduce and release more toxins.  Just a theory though, I don't know if science knows for sure.

I have the same trouble with some products.  Tea tree oil is often recommended for acne, but it makes me break out. 

I have never tried the peels they sell, but I did have 2 glycolic acid ones done at a dermatologist when I was a teen, and had the same result by doing the same technique with a 2% salycilic acid astringent at home.  (I just used a cotton ball and rubbed it on my face for a couple of minutes until my face started to burn, then rinsed with cold water for a few minutes to cool it down...the same thing they did at the dermatologist.  You don't want to overdo it so you have serious burns, but your face will get red and be red for a day, then the salycilic acid causes the outer layer of skin to come off...you don't peel or see it coming off, you just know it does when you wash your face because your skin gets softer.  You want to be careful doing stuff like that at home though, you can burn your skin if you do it too long, and don't do it any more frequently than once a month).  The one I used to do that was the Clean and Clear acne astringent which was 2% salycilic back then (I haven't checked recently because I found a less drying routine now that I break out less...but back when I broke out bad, this kind of rough treatment was the only thing that worked).  By the way, even though it was the same line, the Clean and Clear toner is another product that made me break out.

Babycheeks, what at home remedy do you make to get rid of scars?

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2007 at 9:04am

HI, Susan, Smile. I agree that it is because of the yeast. I know people that eat a ton of sugar, and have gorgeous skin. How unfare is that!?

My skin is doing pretty good at the moment. I have been eating alot more raw produce over that past few days, and I can already tell a huge difference. I have a couple pimples at the moment, but I am doing the monthly thing, so I expect one or two. I'll tell what, though, it is not nearly at all like it used to be. 

I haven't tried any of the peels, because I am kind of nervous about any burns. I really like the dove gentle exfoliation cleanser. I can tell a huge diference in my skin when I use it. A week ago, I started to brake out slightly ( hormonesConfused), SO I thought I might need a stronger cleanser for a couple days. I had one in the back of my closet, so I got it out. It made it worse, after only about 2 days. So I went back to the dove. again, only after 2 days, boom, big difference.

I think that my skin just does not like any sort of harsh cleanser. 

I used to use an astringent by neutrogena. I can't remember the name of it, it was the one to shrink pores.Any way, it has beta and alpha hyrodoxy acids in it.  It works pretty good. I don't know why I stopped using it. Huh??
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 7:23am
If your skin doesn't like harsh treatment, the peels may not be for you then, it is definitely tough stuff.  (And that is SO unfair that some people can eat tons of sugar!...although I have to say, I used to be jealous of a friend of mine because she could eat tons of dessert and not have the problems I was getting, she had perfect skin and everything, then a couple of years went by and she got the exact same problems SO much worse than mine were...still no acne but all the internal problems.  I guess its really not a good idea for anybody to eat tons of sugar, even if it doesn't give them problems, since it may just whomp them hard down the road.  Oh well though, all personal choices.)

You know what's funny?  I used to get at least one big one during my monthly hormonal time, and since I gave up wheat, I didn't even get one small one that week!  My shock continues!  I'm glad you are finding things that work for you too!  Raw produce is excellent.
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 11:02am
Yah, I was thinking the same thing about the harshness. I have done natural fruit peels, and its ok, so I think it just depends on the ingredients.

Speeking about shock, I am still pleased about how little brake outs I get during this time of month. In the past,I would brake out so badly that it would take me so long to heal up,that by the time I would be healed, it would start all over. Now 1-3 seems almost like nothing.All because of yeast, very interesting.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 8:36am
Yeah, you can cure so much just by getting rid of it, I can't believe more docs don't consider it more important these days now that so much more is known about it than even 10 years ago.

Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 11:26am
Tell me bout it. I have mentiond it to a couple of people I know, and no one has heard of  yeast over growth.I have heard of it being called the epidemic of our time. 
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 7:55am
Yeah, its crazy that you can cure so much just by getting rid of it.  I guess a pH diet doesn't get docs business or money, but you'd think they'd have an urge to help people anyway.

Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 10:10am

An MD and a PA go to my church.We go to the same small groups on sunday night . Being in a small town, I know them personally. Neiher one of them has mentioned anything to me about yeast. For acne, they talk about antibiotics, and hormones. It is strange to me that I seem to know more about something then they do.

I just got a product from neutrogena I can't remember the name of it but it is a gentle microdermabrasion cleanser. It is "supposed" to give you the same results as a proffessional microdermabrsion after 4 weeks.It comes an individual pads, with a pocket for your fingers, and is two sided.
I have used it three times now, and so far I really like it. My skin is alot smoother and softer, and is starting to really glow.
 I figure that if it takes longer, to get the same result as a harsher one, I should be able to use it without any adverse reactions.So far so good.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic