Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HOW TO BRIGHTEN DULL BLONDE HAIR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
reddobes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddobes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOW TO BRIGHTEN DULL BLONDE HAIR
    Posted: February 16 2007 at 5:01pm
I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to brighten up my now dull very light beige blonde hair?? I have been doing my own color at home and now have a mish-mosh of colors in my hair. The root area is a brassy/coppery color which I cannot get rid of for the life of me. I colored it recently with a Medium Ash Blonde Clairol Natural Instincts Semi Permanent hair color to try to get rid of the brassiness. It did not work too well and left some parts of my blonde hair looking a little gray/white and the rest of my hair is just faded and dull looking. I was wondering if there is any color at Sally's that would brighten up my blonde without making it too Golden/Red. I would like a nice bright beige or champagne blonde. Would I use a 10 Vol developer since I just want to add a little color?

Also How can I go about this and get rid of the brassy root area?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Marta
chinastop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinastop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 6:47pm
A good way is to make a color depositing shampoo with your desired color, just mix some color, shampoo, and (optional) developer together and you can change your hair quite dramatically over an hour.  For example one time I used shimmer Lights purple shampoo a little too much and turned my hair grey, so I mixed Wella's 9NG (Sand blonde) with some shampoo and left it under a shower cap for an hour.  I was really happy with the results.

It sounds like your roots need to be bleached again if they are darker and brassier than the rest of your hair, coloring with ash doesn't help if it is not at the yellow or pale yellow stage (because purple doesn't counteract orange).  If you bleach again, one tip is to put conditioner where the bleach and not bleached hair meet, and be aware that bleach will travel up the hair shaft.
reddobes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddobes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 7:06pm
Thanks that is Great advice. Can I just do the color with 10 vol developer instead of the shampoo and leave it on say 20 minutes or so??? Also can you recommend a bright beige/champagne shade. You mentioned Sand is that kind of bright. I don't mean Gold. But just a bright shimmery beige or champagne or maybe even honey. I also used the shimmer lights and I think that is dulling it as well. How about the brassy roots. What do you recommend for those??? Do I have to do a different color or base to get rid of the brass???

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Marta
hunniebunnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunniebunnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2007 at 8:42am
Ttry redken shimmer lights in CLEAR. It will lift one level and really brightens without depositing any color. Very gentle. I buy mine off ebay and mix it with 20 vol. developer, leave it on 10 mins and it makes my hair shimmer.
I like clariol born blonde toners.  Nice Sheer colors that do not darken. Alot of toners have too much color pigment and drab the hair making it appear darker and muddy.
reddobes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddobes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 11:36am
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. I FINALLY GOT THE COLOR TO A BRIGHTER SHADE BY MIXING PART COLOR PART SHAMPOO BUT NOW IT IS A LITTLE TOO LIGHT. MY ROOT AREA IS AUBURN COLOR (NOT MY NATURAL COLOR) WITH A DEFINATE LINE OF DEMARCATION. MY GOAL IS TO TONE DOWN THE BLONDE AS WELL AS BLEND IN ROOTS AS TO MAKE THEM LESS NOTICIBLE. WOULD USING A TONER DO THIS??? OR COULD YOU RECOMMEND ANOTHER PROCEDURE. ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

MARTA
nursie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nursie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 5:22pm
i've had sort of the same problem in the past...when i grew out my platinum hair, i had a harsh root line...i had good results by painting tiny sections with demi permanent color that matched my roots (i used Loreal color gems from sally's)
reddobes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddobes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 8:17pm
That sounds like a good idea. Did you paint it on pieces of the top layer of hair like you would highlights?? What level developer did you use. Is color gems a gel colorant?? Any advice is greatly appreciated as I am going to Sallys tomorrow.

Thanks a bunch
Marta
Slipknothartgir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slipknothartgir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 4:56pm
I've got the answer 4 u.U need to try ArcTec oolor shampoo.It's a color depositing shampoo.It adds color & is made for color or bleached hair.It keeps your color from fading.Plus, u don't have to color as often.It's the best ever! It has brighten my blonde.My husband's Nana asked me today.If i dyed my hair again.All I did was use Lemon Flower color shampoo.It also cuts out yellow tones.They have all kinds of colors.I love it!! U can read about it online to.Enjoy it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic