Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Having my boyfriend's hair done: Suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
SharonOl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharonOl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 11:49am
Hi Traci,
Sorry to be so long in answering your last message. We have been away on vacation. My sister and I (the one getting married) took the kids on a driving trip in the Northwest. The weather was perfect and we had a lot of fun.

A lot has happened since my last post. As I mentioned, my sister thought that having my son Morgan along with his sister Megan as bridesmaids was a great idea. So did Megan. The two of them worked on Morgan during the entire trip. I just stayed out of it. It had to be his decision and I wasn't going to put any pressure on him either way. It didn't take them very long to convince him that it would be a lot of fun and that he should be a bridesmaid like the rest of us.

You said that it would be hard for Morgan to wear a dress at the wedding if he hadn't crossdressed before. Actually, he has. I mentioned that he had played girls parts in school plays at the all boys school he attends. He has done this three times. You might have wondered how he could wear his hair as long as he does and conform to the grooming standards that are pretty common at most boys schools. As an inducement for boys to play the girls parts in the school's theater , they can wear their hair as long as they want (provided it is well groomed) if they will agree to play girls parts in all the productions. It also almost guarantees an A grade. Morgan is one of those boys. Before each of the plays Megan and I (especially Megan) have worked with him on his movements, mannerisms, speech etc. during which time he was always dressed in some of her hand-me down clothes. The day before each production, I took him to my stylist for a feminine hairdo which he kept for the duration of the performances. All of the boys made very cute and believable girls, but in my unbiased opinion, Morgan was the best and the prettiest. So, as you can see, this will not be unexplored territory for him.

I was surprised to hear that your Blair had cut his hair. Is he still in the anti-feminine mode? What did he choose for school clothes?

Sorry this has gone on for so long, but I wanted to let you know why Morgan being a bridesmaid wasn't such a total trauma. We haven't told my mother about it yet, so don't know how she will react. She is making the bridesmaid dresses. She was fine with him playing girls parts in the plays and seemed quite proud of her grandson.

This has run on far too long. I'll be interested to hear more about Blair and I'll keep you posted on the progress of the "bridesmaid".

All the best,

Sharon

Traci_cheer07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traci_cheer07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 6:47pm

Hi Sharon, thanks so much for the update, and how exciting! I'm sure if you and your family keep things light and fun Morgan will have a wonderful bridesmaid experience. My suggestion is to allow him as much time 'en femme' as possible between now and the wedding -- Blair dressed more or less in girls' things for all the events leading up to the wedding so he and everyone in the wedding party was comfortable. And make sure you do hairdo trials at the salon before the big day!Smile

I wouldn't say Blair's in anti-feminine mode – his bob actually looks more cute and girlish than his hair did longer, especially when he wears it back in a headband (I do miss doing his long braids, though…). He started school at his new middle school last week, and the big news is that Blair has joined the Pep Squad. It's coed, and it's a requirement for girls and boys who want to try out next year for cheerleader or drillteam (poms). The first football game is tomorrow and he has to wear his uniform to school for the first time. It's a white sweater with the school logo and a skort thingie (shorts with a front panel to look like a skirt), with white socks and his cheer shoes from this summer. Because he has long hair he has to wear it up in a ponytail with a bow. He's very excited and nervous at the same time. I worry about him getting teased, especially with a ribbon in his hair, but he's determined and the sponsors have promised to help support Blair and the other boys (I think there's 2 or 3) on the squad.

Wish us luck!

SharonOl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SharonOl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 11:05pm
Hi Traci,

I wanted to send you a quick reply. I find it very interesting that the Pep Squad at Blair's middle school requires both boys and girls to wear skorts. Hasn't that caused a lot of controversy among the parents, especially those with boys on the squad? You mentioned that because Blair had long hair he had to wear it in a high pony tail with a bow. Do any of the other boys have long hair? How did the boys without long hair wear theirs? How did it go with Blair at school and at the football game?

I have posted a message to you in your private mail box.  I'll give you a "bridesmaid" update later.

Sharon
ald_fld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ald_fld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2007 at 11:56am
Jenny B,

I'm new here and wondered (as I'm sure others do) about the style you have chosen for your boyfriend, assuming he will go along with it.

Good Luck - has he cut his hair at all or is it getting longer?
Jenny-B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 9:55am
Hey all. 

I haven't replied to this thread in a while because I've been super-busy.  Plus the thread seemed to have become a little distracted.  Even at this point, I don't really have time to give much detail on what has happened, but I'll give a quick run-down for any of you who are interested in the status of my saga to date. 

First, we did it!  About a month ago now (I know, I've really been slack with updates!), we got Nathan in the chair, and we gave him a great style. 

The last time I was here, I mentioned that I was going to sit down with Kara and talk about styles for Nathan's hair.  Well, I told her about a lot of the ideas that we had bounced around here, including some of the ones you guys have mentioned.  She liked the general idea of the long layers, and she had some suggestions of her own.  Ultimately we ended up hanging out and looking at pictures on her laptop--she has a bunch of hairstyle pictures saved.  We also searched the web for other styles which is where we eventually found a lot of what we wanted.  We ended up picking several layered styles that varied in their level of.......I'm not really sure what to call it--extremity maybe?.  But our favorite was one of Lindsay Lohan's long-layered styles (I got Kara to send me the link:  http://www.bartcop.com/ll-05.jpg ), but we had several other more conservative styles that would have worked.  When we talked to Nathan about, we expected that we would end up with one of the more conservative styles of the bunch, if anything.  But, Nathan surprised us completely.  I guess he was amused or interested by the idea of us giving him hair like Lindsay Lohan--he really thinks that she's hot--and he actually agreed to it! Once the appointment came, he was a little less enthusiastic, but I kept reminding him that Kara was giving up her evening to do this (she let us come in as the last appointment and stay a little late).  Kara was also able to relax him a little bit by telling him that the style wouldn't look feminine when it was pulled back in a ponytail (which was actually quite a lie!). 

So he did it.  He let Kara give him a style that's pretty close to the picture in the link, at least in terms of shape.  Nathan's hair is a lighter color and isn't highlighted or anything, and in the picture LL has used styling products to give her layers a chunkier look, but the length and overall shape of Nathan's hair is now very similar to the picture.  He was a really good sport about it too.  He didn't complain or act nervous the whole time.  He didn't even complain when Kara decided to have a little fun with him and took things farther than I ever would have expected.  When she was finished with his cut, she told Nathan that the style would look great curled, and then said she wouldn't charge us at all if he'd let her give him curls (although she told me later that she never really intended to charge us anyway!).  I don't know if Nathan was feeling cheap or if he had just decided to go along with whatever the two crazy girls wanted, but by the time he walked out of the salon that evening, he not only had his new hairstyle, he also had a head full of bouncy curls and a very stylishly made-up face Big%20smile.  He even wore the curls and makeup until bedtime that evening, although he was pretty nervous the whole time that someone would see him.

So far, he hasn't complained about his hairstyle even though we clearly stretched the truth telling him that it wouldn't be obvious in a ponytail.  Even in a ponytail higher than most guys wear one, he still has the short layers loose around his face.  But he doesn't seem to mind and actually seems to enjoy the style.  I think he secretly likes having pretty hair Wink.  Of course, it probably helps that he gets a lot of compliments on it.  And as far as I know, even his guy friends haven't given him a hard time about it.  It's been over a month at this point, and his hair has grown out quite a bit since the cut.  It doesn't look quite as pretty anymore, but he's already agreed to keep the style for the near future. 

Wow.  As usual, I sat down to write a short little message, and end up with this.  Thanks to all of you here at HB who offered ideas and encouragement.  This is one of the only places where I can really share my obsession with Nathan's hair and not get raised eyebrows (although you may very well have raised eyebrows, I just can't see them!).  I'll let you know if anything else happens with this. 
Jenny B.
Jojoswr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jojoswr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 3:54pm
Hi Jenny-B,
Thanks for the up-date. Great style choice. Sounds like a very fun time for all three of you. Did Kara set his hair or use the curling iron to create his curls. I didn't know you were going to add the make-up. Sounds even more fun. Glad he likes the style and isn't getting teased. Hope you are continuing to curl his hair for him and do the make-up too.
He's very lucky to have such a wonderful girlfriend.
chrissy88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 4:31am
Jenney,

Sounds like a great experience, and super nice to hear how your BF seems to be okay with the cuter style.

I have been seeing a commercial for a shampoo, Herbal Essence, that had biker-chick hand off her shampoo to a biker-guy with long hair.  When he comes walking back with his long hair in bouncy waves even his biker buddies open their eyes wide at the effect!...though it leave whether it's more in appreciation or shock up to the reader to decide. 

But the idea of a guy with really beautful and feminine hair and enjoying it reminded me of this thread, and seemed to be okay to the observers, which is super cool to see!  Glad it is working out for you Jenney!...and can't wait to hear about new styles and experiences you two have.

Chrissy
To enter, endure and in time to accept one's destined transformation and fly into the heavens of life....is to be closer to the God that created you.
Jenny-B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Jojoswr Jojoswr wrote:

Hi Jenny-B,
Thanks for the up-date. Great style choice. Sounds like a very fun time for all three of you.

Hey Jo.  Glad you like the choice.  This whole deal with Nathan's hair  turned out so much better than I expected.

Did Kara set his hair or use the curling iron to create his curls. I didn't know you were going to add the make-up. Sounds even more fun.

She just used the curling iron.  Wise choice I think.  He was going along with everything and being a good sport, but I think sitting there for a while in curlers may have been a bit much. 

The makeup really wasn't part of the plan.  Kara just basically said "well, we've gone this far, how about a little more...." and just kind of did it.  He complained a little, but I think he was enjoying the attention he was getting from a couple of pretty cute girls Wink.  He did put his foot down at one point when Kara tried to tweeze his eyebrows.  He wasn't going for that at all.

Glad he likes the style and isn't getting teased. Hope you are continuing to curl his hair for him and do the make-up too.
He's very lucky to have such a wonderful girlfriend.

Thanks for the compliment Jo.  He does seem to like it.  And yeah, since his style, we've been having a lot of fun with his hair.  And even a little makeup too on occasion Wink.

Chrissy, good to hear from you again.  I haven't seen the commercial, but it sounds interesting.  I'll watch out for it.

Hey, thanks to both of you for your interest and advice.  It's been fun letting you guys in on mine and Nathan's sort-of-secret life.  Thanks for being supportive and offering all of those suggestions.
Jenny B.
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2007 at 9:33pm
Jenny-B,

That's a great hairstyle. Sure wish we could see a pic (without his face, of course). I would describe that style as having long bangs, rather than long layers.

At least that's what my stylist says. When I was at my last appointment, I brought pics of several different long styles with me just to get my stylist's opinion. The ones like the style your bf got she said had bangs.
She actually highly suggested that we start with the  3782 style and see how that goes. I really don't want to go that short. But maybe the same style, yet longer.

I'd love the style your bf got, but I really need to be able to pull all of my hair back.

How often does your stylist suggest trims to keep his current style?
Jenny-B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Sunsailing Sunsailing wrote:

Jenny-B,

That's a great hairstyle. Sure wish we could see a pic (without his face, of course). I would describe that style as having long bangs, rather than long layers.

At least that's what my stylist says. When I was at my last appointment, I brought pics of several different long styles with me just to get my stylist's opinion. The ones like the style your bf got she said had bangs.
She actually highly suggested that we start with the  3782 style and see how that goes. I really don't want to go that short. But maybe the same style, yet longer.

I'd love the style your bf got, but I really need to be able to pull all of my hair back.

How often does your stylist suggest trims to keep his current style?

Hey SS.  Glad you approve of the style. 

As for the bangs vs. layers thing, I'd say that bangs are just really short layers.  I hear them called either.  However, when I was dealing with Nathan about the style, I was pretty careful to say 'layers' b/c I think that calling them bangs would probably have produced a fairly negative response from him.

Oooh, I love #3782.  And I think you're right--it's very pretty but also conservative in terms of the wear-it-in-a-ponytail criterion.  It would be awesome if you went with that. 

As far as freuqency of trims, Kara was saying that it really depends on the person since hair grows at different lengths on different people, but that, on average, most people with that kind of style needed trims about every 1-1.5 months to keep the shape looking really sharp.  It's a pretty high-maintenance style in terms of trimming, but not so bad in terms of day-to-day maintenance.  Nathan will probably get his cut a little less frequently than recommended.  It's already been about 1.5 months and he hasn't gone back yet.  His hair's shape isn't quite what it was right after his cut, but it still looks great to me.  But I should probably start suggesting that he go back pretty soon.  After last time though, I think he may be a little scared of what Kara will do with him Wink.
Jenny B.
ald_fld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ald_fld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 11:54am

Hey Jenny-B,

When you get Nathan's style trimmed again, can you post pics of it from the side and back? I know he would not want his face on the net (nor would I), but you have sure got us all curious of the look. Then we can also see how long it is. Thanks.

aldfld
Snipette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 6:21pm
Hi Jenny,

Has there been any new developments on the hair front?

Cheers
Snipette
Jenny-B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 6:55am
Nothing really new per se, but Nathan is keeping the style.  He's had it trimmed twice now.  Actually, the second time he had it trimmed, Kara changed things up just a little bit and made the style slightly more dramatic I guess would be a good word for it.  She did less blending between layers which really makes them stand out.  He's also continuing to grow the length Smile and it's now down around mid-back. 

Of course, him having such a great hairstyle makes me want to play with his hair even more often than before, so I'm sure that Nathan would tell you that he's getting way more than his fair share of curls and braids and styling products LOL.  I also introduced him to hair accessories when he got a little frustrated with trying to control the shoter layers/bangs around his face and he seems to actually like them, which is just fine with me.  He even wears them out sometimes, though never in front of his guy friends for obvious reasons.  But he's gone places like the grocery store and the movies with his hair fastened in barrettes or pulled up in a big clip.  So cute!

Recently I've become a bit fascinated with the idea of going for a slightly lighter color than his current dark blonde.  So the next step might be getting him some coloring or highlights.  Hey, he's done Lindsay Lohan already, so maybe it's time for a little Carrie Underwood!!  Wink  Of course he hasn't actually agreed to anything.......yet!!
Jenny B.
Jojoswr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jojoswr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 7:21am
Wow sounds fun for both of you, Jenny B. Some hilites and lowlites would be fantastic.
Snipette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 4:06pm
It's cool you are still having a great time with this, and i think Carrie's colour is great, not too OTT.  It's also cool he's getting more adveturous too.  But then most men secretly love having their hair played with so he must be loving all the extra attention.

Enjoy and let us know when you are going to surprise him with the next step Wink

Have Fun
Snipette
Dawn-P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn-P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 11:52am

Hi G/F, sounds like you are moving along quite well. Carrie Underwood huh? Nothing wrong with that. Maybe you could give me some tips on how to get my guy there....hmmm?Big%20smile

Dawn
ald_fld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ald_fld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 1:32pm
Jenny-B

The coloring/highlighting sounds like it would be fun. Would Kara do that, or would Nathan have to go to aother salon? I was also curious; since he had such long hair when you met. did he also have his ears pierced? Sometimes guys do both long hair and earrings.

aldfld
Jenny-B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by ald_fld ald_fld wrote:

Jenny-B

The coloring/highlighting sounds like it would be fun. Would Kara do that, or would Nathan have to go to aother salon? I was also curious; since he had such long hair when you met. did he also have his ears pierced? Sometimes guys do both long hair and earrings.

aldfld

Good question ald_fld (what is that anyway?).  I've actually been assuming that Kara can do it, but haven't really thought about whether she actually can.  I'm thinking that I have a few memories of being in there when some coloring was going on, but maybe not.....  I'll have to ask. Kara and I are friends.  If she can't do it, I"m sure she'll be able to refer me to a good stylist.

Ears pierced?  No, sadly not.  I think I'd like it though.  Maybe I should push him a little bit on this one too?  But I've been kind of limiting my pushing to his hair.  I guess I've been thinking that what I'm making him do with his hair is torture enough LOL
Jenny B.
Jenny-B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Snipette Snipette wrote:

It's cool you are still having a great time with this, and i think Carrie's colour is great, not too OTT.  It's also cool he's getting more adveturous too.  But then most men secretly love having their hair played with so he must be loving all the extra attention.

Thanks for the supportive comments.  Sometimes I think that I'm awful encouraging my boyfriend to do this stuff.  But thinking about him with CU's color and his great hair.....ooh, gives me tingles!!!
Jenny B.
mystic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Jenny-B Jenny-B wrote:

Ears pierced?  No, sadly not.  I think I'd like it though.  Maybe I should push him a little bit on this one too?  But I've been kind of limiting my pushing to his hair.  I guess I've been thinking that what I'm making him do with his hair is torture enough LOL

Pushing the envelope a bit? Wink

It sounds like he has really taken well to the new style.  I don't think I would classify it as torture anymore.  You know he probably likes all this attention you are giving him with his hair and all.

Good luck with the color.  I think he will like it if you get him there.

By the way, my wife likes the color and highlights in my hair. 

Mystic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic