Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This time the stylist was scard of me lol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This time the stylist was scard of me lol
    Posted: February 27 2007 at 11:09am
As some of you know already I have breast cancer  I am looking at a total of two years of a series of treatments starting with chemo.

When I learned that I had breast cancer as many women I really cried.  It is bad enough that my own husband passed away seven years ago but to think that my children could easily lose their second parent was enough to declare war. I have always been a very strong character.

My second though when I learned that I was going to have chemo was my hair.
Anyone that knows me in life knows my signature is my long blackish-brown hair and a dark red lipstick.

Now for the lighter side of things

The first stage was that I cut my hair above my shoulders so that the experience wouldn't be so dramatic.  Yesterday I went into a stylist shop and told the male stylist I had a mission for him.  Within the next six days or so my hair will probably fall out completely.  Poor stylists they must have a data base of people who they fear lol because he just stared at me in shock and horror. I don't know the countless times I have totally ripped a stylist apart for not following directions in the amount of hair they could cut off me.
I told him that he had to because if he didn't my hair will start falling very soon and everyone in the city will easily hear me scream. Then I said "the length will fall in clumps on my pillow, floor, people etc" and the reality is chemo is an experience that really plays on one's emotions that one doesn't need any more devastation.  Chemo is pure hell.
I can't even go to a shopping centre or in large crowds for at least 4 months. 
Okay so he takes his shaver and tried the number 4 and I said shorter.  AFter deciding number 3 is good enough he looks at me and said" you one of the rarist ones that can actually look good with that short hair."

And you know what!

To my friend at Hair Boutique I look good with that short hair because I have a round head.

When I came home I surprise my youngest son and for the very first time in his life he was able to rub the top of my head and he was laughing.  I quickly wore my black wig before my oldest came home and when he walked in he said oh you did something to your hair.  OH really! and ripped off the wig.  He too was laughing and wanted to know if I wanted to join the army lol.  My children have always known me with long hair.  They used to pull it, comb it, used it to climp up on my lap etc.

My hair is very thick and I had a hard time sleeping last night.
I found my hair was thick and slippery and kept on hanging on the pillow.
lol

In four months my hair will start to grow again and supposely it grows fine and curly or straight and at times a totally diffirent colour.  Plus I would finally get rid of the grey hairs.
I already picked some short hair styles for the future and one day I will return as a long hair goddess lol

Hopefully this will help someone else when they read this.  Over here in Canada doctors beleive that mannogram should start at 50 unless one has a history. In my case I have no family history.
My new doctor believe that mannogram should start at 40+ eventhough one has no history.  My cancer could easily be two years old and the lump was hidden.   I would be dead next year if I didn't see this new doctor.

Take care

I will never say that hair grows back.  Sure the logical thing is it does but to many women it is very devastating.

Edited by dianefromcanada - February 27 2007 at 11:13am
dianefromcanada
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 1:01pm
     Hey Diane!!! You have been missed.Wink I am so sorry to hear about your awful ordeal, and I'll be praying for your complete recovery. Hair loss is difficult even for some men, myself included, so I can only imagine your trauma. Your only positive choice now is to have some fun with the undesired change, and your boys are leading you in that direction. It really is not the end of the world.  
     No guy would feel worse than me if my DW *chose* to get a brush or buzz cut, but if her life was threatened, I couldn't care less about her stupid hair. Frankly, and please don't think I'm blowing smoke, I think it's very cool when a woman faces a crisis with courage, and her bald pate actually becomes very beautiful and elegant as her spirit shines through. Yes, long hair can be gorgeous, as I'm certain yours was, but it's a radiant soul that grants a woman true beauty. God bless, Bob Big%20smile

Edited by Bob S - February 27 2007 at 1:02pm
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 9:40pm
Diane, you're an awesome women and you will be in my thoughts and prayers.  You go girl!  Mark
HAWG
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 6:59am
Diane I am so sorry you have to go through chemo.  I wish you the best of luck and hope only the best for you.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 3:51pm
 Bald%20Is%20Beautiful Diane,  You are a brave woman and I admire your strength.  May your chemo treatments be gentle on your tummy but strong enough to get that cancer out!   

buzzedboblover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzzedboblover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 12:37pm
My thoughts are with you. I hope your treatment is going well  and giving results.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2007 at 5:54pm
Thank you everyone for your extremely kind thoughts.
Right now I have practically no hair and been wearing wigs.
I totallly understand why my children never wanted to cut their hair really short in the winter.  Its cold without hair lol  One night I even wear a touque to go to bed.  Very atrractive lol
Now I understand little house on the prairie and why women went to bed with bonnets.  I bought a few hair caps.  I can easily take -40 degrees but goodness sakes not having a cold head at night. Never realize how hair really keeps someone warm.
I have a good attitude and have ajusted to my patches look almost bald look.  At least I am not sliding off the pillow now. lol 
I'm going on my fourth chemo treatment very soon and my hair will start to grow again after my six treatment.  I wonder how long it will take to have decent hair lenght again.  It will fun to see what the hair turns out curly or a totally different hair colour.
Everyday I decide if I want to be a blonde, brunette or a red head.  My boyfriend laughes because he wouldn't be able to tell anyone what I looked like that day!

Edited by dianefromcanada - April 16 2007 at 5:56pm
dianefromcanada
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 1:40pm
     Hi Diane! I appreciate the update. Keep 'em coming, when you are able. Frankly, my DW's locks possibly would have remained pixieish had she not experienced COLD ears! (lol) Love and Prayers, Bob Heart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2007 at 1:25pm

My medical oncologist has black hair down to her waist.  She curles it into spirals.  She wears these neat frilly clothes under her white coat and high heals.  It makes me smile because I hear her go down the hallway, tap, tap tap tap etc.  All my life I wanted black hair because this beautiful girl in highschool. People always thought I had black hair but it is two shades before black.   Her whole appearance reminds me that there is no reason why I can't do the whole thing again and grow my hair very long.  She went all ga ga over my purse.

I just thought it was amazing that I who loves long hair very much ends up with a doctor that has long hair.  I will have tell her how her appearance encourages me for the future.  She gives hugs too.  What more does someone want lol.

Its hard to describe her.  She is a fluffy, beautiful, positive human being.

I just find joy in little things I guess lol lol

dianefromcanada
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2007 at 7:12am
She sounds wonderful!  I'm glad you got a great doctor!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 3:45pm
     I'll bet my last dollar that, coming from you now, your doctor will appreciate your positive comments beyond measure. You are one kind woman, and your posting is a reminder that good people have no need to see people similarly deprived to make them feel better! Embarrassed Bob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 6:06pm
I do have plans the next time I see this doctor to tell her how her hair and her clothes and just the fact she is so frilly really puts me at peace because to me it tells me that she really cares about the women she treats. 
dianefromcanada

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 6:43pm
I thought it was my imagination but having other people look at my hair we have concluded that my hair is starting to grow again.

Jumping up and down with happiness

Edited by dianefromcanada - May 25 2007 at 6:43pm
dianefromcanada
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2007 at 4:09pm
     Clap May this be the first of many, many good tidings from you, Diane!!! Love, Bob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 10:32am
Well I met my medical oncologist and told her about her appearance. She was so taken back. I told her that her appearance encourages me about life, that one day my hair will grow back as long as hers and it reminds me all the things I love to do when I look at her.  She gave me a huge hug and told me about what she knew about the growth of hair.  I did my last chemo so my hair should really grow now.  It about 1/8 of an inch. 
When I has my last treatment my mother noticed the attitude of the patience in the room.  Everyone was smiling eventhough none of us had hair for the moment.  Everyone was looking at the next person wishing them the best for the finish line. Everyone that reaches the finish line has a positive impact on the others behind.
 She couldn't believe how people can overcome their problems and still be happy.
I read something the other day and I'm heading there in thoughts.
When we feel better, we have more access to our own wisdom, and common sense.  We tend to be less reactive, defensive, and critical; we make better decisions and we communicate more effectively.

Yesterday a strange situation happened.  I decided to bring my son to school and didn't bother wearing my wig. I was followed home by a man that had a very strong german accent and hardly could speak english. His excuse was that he wanted to purchase a vehicle exactly like mine and wanted to know the color of my vehicle.  Gee.... orange is orange
He didn't follow me home for the color of my vehicle.  People don't normally follow people home to ask about their vehicles.
  He followed because he probably thought it was great seeing a woman without hair.  He has no hair.  He was flirting and the only reason I was able to get rid of him, it stated to really rain.

dianefromcanada
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 4:16pm
      So glad your chemo is over, Diane! If I might be so bold, Diane, it may have been quite difficult for your oncologist to hang onto her gorgeous long hair, as she sees patients every day who would kill to have ANY hair! Your fawning over her hair's beauty may have been a needed shot in the arm for her, to know that she is actually bringing joy to someone afflicted with hair loss, not to mention the illness.
     You remind me of a very dear friend of mine who, despite a series of stunning misfortunes, refuses to dwell on them and instead chooses to bring the exuberance of her own personality into the lives of others. She is the type whose presence brightens everyone else's day, even if she's only with you for a few moments. Love, Bob Big%20smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2007 at 12:39pm
What I reallly enjoyed about this doctor was that she admitted right at the beginning that if it was her that was losing her hair she would also be very devastated,  That statement made me feel she was human and also understood her patients.  She shown her female side to her nature on the matter and I guess that was what made me feel at ease with her.
dianefromcanada

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 10:44pm
Today was a great day.  I finally decided that it was time to put away my wig and go shopping with my 1/8 inch hair!  Okay probably most people knew that I was a person recovering from Cancer and who cares. 
It was actually very practical to have this very short hair thing last weekend when I decided to try my new paint sprayer and it exploded all over me!!! lol  I was very entertaining. When the instructions tells you to tighten the connections with two wrenches they mean it! lol

dianefromcanada
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2007 at 3:16pm
     As you know, Diane, I am a long hair lover! (lol) But I think that you are very cool and courageous for daring to wear your naturally cropped pate in public. Hair is only one facet of a woman's beauty; confidence and a loving nature are far more important, and you have both in spades! I salute you. God bless you as you take each triumphant step! Bob Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 4:01pm
It makes about a good two weeks that I haven't worn a wig and I find that my hair is getting a lot darker and thicker everyday.  I guess our hair really does grow very fast eventhought we don't notice it half the time. 
dianefromcanada
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic