Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Short layers look crappy. Help me with a style?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Short layers look crappy. Help me with a style?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short layers look crappy. Help me with a style?
    Posted: March 02 2007 at 11:52pm
Alright. I did it. I chopped my hair off.
It's now sitting on top of my shoulders.
I have short layers in it, and I hate them.
I guess it's a cute style in general, but not
quite for me. I feel like I look like a boy.
Right now, due to the darn layers being so
short... all I can really do with it is put it
half-up, half-down or pull it into a pony tail
just to get it to look decent. And unfortunately,
curly styles don't work for me.

I'll upload a picture if necessary. But folks... if
you could help me figure out what I could do
with this hair... I don't want to always have to
pull it up just to be comfortable with it.

I feel like all I can do  is wait for those layers to
grow out...or chop some more off (which I DO NOT
want to do).

julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 12:20am
a picture would help~hard to know what advice to really give until we see it.
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 12:26am
Hey Jules,
No problem. Here's a picture. It's tough to see
much of the layers, unfortunately... but it gives
an idea, I suppose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 2:11am
HI,actually,I dont think it looks bad at all! I have a few suggestions though if you dont like the layers. You could try curling them. You could maybe use some barrettes to pull the sides back a little (until it grows out some) Or maybe try a headband.
But,your face is very pretty,so you dont look like a boy at all!Wink 
lemonlime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lemonlime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 12:03pm
I don't think the cut looks THAT bad on you, but I understand how you don't like the layers. I hate when my stylist gets layer happy too.. I know you dont want to go any shorter, but I think if you cut about an inch off the bottom (like chin length), it would eliminate some layers at the bottom! I actually think it would look cute like that even with the short layers! Good luck!

http://gimps.de/wettbewerb/albums/userpics/10001/short-hair-cuts.jpg
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 1:20pm
I too think it looks okay and I agree with lemonlime; another inch and half shorter and you're there.  You look great!!
HAWG
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 5:29pm
Lemonlime, that pic is smoking hot.. and it would look great on you or Yoda!
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 10:34pm
I agree with the others - doesn't look bad but up to chin length would look better.  I also suggest some bangs.  You have some knockout eyes that would really be framed with some bangs that cover your forehead.
My wife always thinks she looks like a boy with shorter hair...nothing is further from the truth (for both my wife and you)
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 3:06am
Hey Folks,
 Thank you all for your comments and help!
I REALLY appreciate it!! Thumbs%20Up
I think I'll consider going a little shorter with it, even though
I hate to do it (because my hair seems to grow much slower
than most). But if it'll help it look good now, perhaps I should
just embrace shorter hair for now!

LovesShortHair - Can't see in the picture, because, well, I'm
pretty much a mess lol... but I actually do have bangs. They're
just pushed to the sides. Wink
Snipette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 3:55pm
I have to agree with Lemonlime as well.  I think in going shorter it would elminate some of the layers and then as it grows out it would be more one length.  I'd say chin length minimum, but would suggest mouth level. As i think it would make it look more chic and funky and remove even more of the layers.  I know you are trying to avoid going shorter but i think your right when you said you just need to embrace short hair for the moment.

Good luck and post a picture or two once you have decide. Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 11:43pm
I was going to suggest going shorter too,didnt know if you'd want to do that though. Just BE CAREFUL when asking them to make it more even.My sister had too many layers in her hair and asked for them to even it up more.They chopped a good bit off cuz they said she had so many layers that it was the only way.
Be specific about how much you want off.
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 10:16pm
Thanks for the tips Snipette and Jules! :)
It's gonna take a lot for me to actually just chop a bit
more off. But I'm trying my best to talk myself into it, trust me.
I'll be VERY specific when letting them know how much to
cut off and all of that.

I'll post some pictures when I go through with it! Wink

Thanks again!!
Jess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 10:19pm
Good luck Jess~Big%20smile
Snipette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2007 at 5:26pm
All the Best
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 12:12pm
Yes. I'm back. And unfortunately not with good news.
I went back to the place where I got my hair cut (my hair had grown
about an inch or two longer since the cut). I figured, if I could get them
to thin out the layers and cut the length a little shorter, then it would
even out and look decent enough to where I'd be comfortable with it.

Well, guess what? I went. I told her how I felt about the layers and what I didn't like about the haircut in general...and explained what I wanted done. They were in a rush as usual, it seems. She asked me "So you want to keep the layers?".....I wasn't thinking. I didn't think she could do anything with it. So I just said "yeah". Thinking she'd keep 'em at the length they were, which by that time, with the hair a little shorter would've looked more like long layers rather than the short.
Oh boy.... she cut the length to where I wanted. No problem. BUT SHE CUT THE LAYERS AGAIN! Sooooooo.... two months of growth down the drain. I'm back where I started and I've pretty much had it with haircuts.

Now, I've got to go out tonight for my cousin's birthday...and I haven't a clue what to do with this hair. We're suppose to be going to a nice resturaunt first and then probably to a bar or club afterwards (but we have to dress up a little - not suits, ties and dresses or anything, but you know...nice). I bought a black lace head band yesterday....figuring maybe I could use that. But I'm so unsure.

Any tips?

PS. My apologies for the whole rant and rave. I'm just frustrated.
I hope everyone's having a nice day.
KB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 1:57pm
Oh no!  That sucks, I'm so sorry.  We've all been there, though, and I hope that is somewhat of a consolation?

One thing that might help you in the future is to bring pictures of haircuts that you like so that the stylist has a visual reference.  After years of miscommunications with my stylists and haircuts I couldn't deal with, I've found that to be the solution.  It beats trying to explain what I want to my stylist and hoping she understands. 

In the meantime, I wish you the best with the growout.  Play around with hair accessories - headbands are great and are totally in style.  After awhile, the hair will become a non-issue and before you know it, you'll be at the length you were before.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 2:08pm
      Sorry about what happened, Yoda. But I think I understand why the stylist took you back to square one. If you are unhappy with layers, or plan to grow your hair longer again, phrases such as "thinning out" will be hazardous to your objectives. I've found that even *with* exact instructions, some "pros" are simply hackers who carry out their own agendas. But with nebulous direction, your chances of winding up with a cut to your liking are slim.
      I guarantee you that had my wife continued visiting her former stylist, the longest her hair ever would have been is shoulder blade length, if that. Only *I* trim her hip-length locks now. In other words, find someone you can trust implicitly to trim your hair, and keep the instructions simple. And finally, if you do desire more length, space your trims FAR apart, if possible. Best of Luck, Bob Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 2:25pm
That bites.Next time (if you go to the same person) ask her to trim off the ends ONLY,and that you'd like to grow out the layers and have a more even cut.
I agree with Bob,I really have yet to fond a stylist who gives me a cut I like.

Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 5:24pm
Thanks KB, Bob, and Jules for your responses. :)
I appreciate the support!

I ended up actually being able to do something with the hair
for last night. The head band worked perfectly. And for some
reason, my hair decided to co-operate big time. I straightened it...
and for the most part...the layers laid somewhat flat.
And of course the head-band helped out.

Thanks again you guys. So begins the grow-out process yet again!

ALSO - I saw a girl at the club I was at last night... she had shoulder-length hair... but it was kind of bobbed. A tiny bit shorter in the back
than in the front, but enough so you could tell. What would I ask for
if I want that cut when I grow my hair back out to that length?
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 10:33pm
It sounds like an inverted bob.  You need to decide how much shorter you want it in the back so that you can tell the styist how you want it to look.  Pictures are always best; take one with you.
HAWG
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic