Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where can I get a makeover/great cosmetics?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lily0914 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lily0914 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where can I get a makeover/great cosmetics?
    Posted: March 13 2007 at 12:08pm
Hi all, and thanks in advance for any suggestion!

My wedding is in a month and I REALLY want to have my makeup professionally done. I always do it myself and I really don't think the products I use are all that great.

Can anyone reccomend a particular brand or store, that sells great makeup  AND has a makeup application service? I've heard a lot of good things about MAC but my one experience with their counter at Nordstrom's was terrible. The girl was incredibly rude and not helpful at all. Not someone I'd want to ask to helo me with my makeup.

Maybe there's some other good makeup counter I don't know about??

sweetjessie76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetjessie76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 3:25pm
It's unfortunate that you too have had what I call the "Make-Up Counter Catastrophe" I've been there not once but more times then I can remember all in different areas of the US and department stores. I don't know what it is but is really selling make-up that lucrative of a profession to think that you are better then those trying to buy the make-up from you? I always remember what my first boss told me, "Don't sh*t on the table where you eat." Everybody is the same. So, to offer my advice check your local area for a Meryl Norman Salon. They do have good quality make-up and someone who will be more then willing to show you some pointers. Otherwise try MaryKay. That is if you want to avoid the whole department store fiasco's if not I would recommend either Lancome or Clinique both of which are very good product lines. I use them both. It all depends upon what is being offered for the gift with purchase. A lot of times at Lancome if you make a minimun purchace of 30.00 you get what they call a gift with purchase. I never buy mascara or eyeliner or makeup remover or lipstick unless it is a color I absolutely have to have. Once again Make-up counter horror is out there you just have to rememeber you are the one lining their pockets and they are there to serve you.
Jessie
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2007 at 12:19pm
I would also mention that each person will be different as to how well they choose your colors and apply your make-up.  I've used Mary Kay products since I first started wearing make-up (until recently switching over to minerals, but I still use MK mascara and eyeliner).  I've had make-over-type facials from at least 4 different MK consultants.  Each one of them had a different opinion of what looked good on me.  Only one of them was bad, I was happy with the others. (but they were all different)
I'm not suggesting that you should go with MK, even though I do believe their products are good quality, but that it all depends on the person helping you, no matter what the brand.  Always do as many trial-runs as needed.  If you're not happy with the look, tell them so!  Like Jessie said, they're there to serve you.  Don't buy anything unless you're completely happy with it.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 8:54pm
Check out your local Laura Mercier Makeup counter. I don't know if all their makeup artists are the same, but my sister had her makeup done at their counter, and not only are their products great, but she looked absolutly beautiful.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic