Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yep I'm Shallow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
16Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yep I'm Shallow
    Posted: March 16 2007 at 2:10am

DH and I are passionate Harley riders....to the point where we have heated gear to enable us to ride about 9 mo out of the year.  BUT....I am a 55 yo woman with a short spikey haircut...and it looks like *JF$%&*H when I take my helmet off so the routine is to take the helmet off and quickly throw a baseball cap on...not the most glamorous or cool solution!  DH started growing his hair out a couple of years ago and it is now 3 inches past his shoulders.  I've kept it trimmed straight across and it looks great...every morning I braid it for him..he says he is going for that scruffy biker look!LOL And I have to admit he is quite the sexy hunk with that look.  I've decided that I am going to stop coloring my hair and let it grow.  Figure it will take about 3 or 4 months to get all the dye out and then my natural salt and pepper will be all there is.  I have dark brown hair with silver.  Have this fantasy of wearing a beautiful long braid down my back while riding.  Also, during the other part of my life I am rather the new age hippy chick..(I know this is multiple personalitiesEmbarrassed  And it would be super to wear this feminine flowing hair up or down to suit my mood.  Ordered HairTopia and am raring to go!  Love this forum...all of you are so positive and supporting.  Plan on see a lot of me as I go through the growing out doldrums.Cry

Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 5:21am
Welcome! This forum has been a tremendous help to me, especially during the "bad hair" times when I wanted to break down and get it cut. Not only is there a ton of support here but a lot of great tips!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 9:06am
Good luck growing it out 16paws....I think I met you here before, I remember thinking that was a lot of paws!  I am currently at 16 paws in my house too.Wink

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 11:28am

Welcome!  That's cool that you've decided to grow your hair out!  I've seen alot of biker women with long braids. (they even have "hair socks" to put over them to keep them from being wind-damaged!) 

I also have that multiple personality thing going.  One side of me: feminine, elegant, tailored clothing, playing the piano, reading classic literature....  Other side of me: hiking, camping, guns, cars, paintball.... LOL  So don't feel bad.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 3:23pm

Biker Biker%20Babe 
Hi and Welcome!

Your hair dream sounds wonderful.  It's great you can play with your hubby's hair while yours grows to where you want it.

16Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 5:06pm
Big%20smile Thanks so much for the warm welcome!  Love the biker cartoons.  I knew you guys were great.
16Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 5:08pm
Yep...I was here about three years ago and then couldn't follow through...but this time I am going to make it happen....sort of like quitting smoking isn't it? LOL  Congrats on YOUR 16 paws....who says you can't buy love...just get a dog.
16Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 4:48am
Originally posted by hairbraider hairbraider wrote:

Welcome!  That's cool that you've decided to grow your hair out!  I've seen alot of biker women with long braids. (they even have "hair socks" to put over them to keep them from being wind-damaged!) 

I also have that multiple personality thing going.  One side of me: feminine, elegant, tailored clothing, playing the piano, reading classic literature....  Other side of me: hiking, camping, guns, cars, paintball.... LOL  So don't feel bad.

Isn't that one of the wonderful things about being a woman!?  We can express all sides of ourselves....love it!  Wink
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 4:54pm

Hi 16 paws, I remember you. I'm sorry that you decided to suspend your dream of having long hair, but it only takes one successful effort. And hair, since it grows, keeps giving one chances. 

I must say that the desire to see oneself with a beautiful adornment is *not* shallow. It is not the *most* important thing in life, but what is wrong with wanting to look one's best? That is part of who we are, and a component of a healthy psyche.
     All I can say is that in a year or two, you will not understand why you waited so long! You only need get through some "bad hair days" as it is growing, and you are telling yourself that you are being silly, since the old look was "not so bad". I think that the best thing that women over 40 can do is grow their hair. The canard that short hair is "age appropriate" and "sohisticated" is utterly untrue. In my eyes, tresses bring a stark beauty improvement to 90% of women. When someone I haven't seen in a while appears with flowing locks for the first time, my jaw drops.  
     Good luck, and BTW, DW and I have 28 paws, and one beak! Best, Bob LOL
16Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 11:43am
Bob,
Thanks for the encouragement.  28 paws and a beak!  Good Lord!  We are busy with just our four Big%20smile  Yes, Growing your hair out is a lot like quitting smoking...sometimes it takes a couple of trys to get it right. 
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 11:52am
28 paws here, too, Bob! No beaks though!
gypsydoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsydoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 9:24pm
OK, 8 paws and a fish....but we have 16 tires and a sled, all motorized!!!
(two cars, three motorcycles, a mini-bike and a snowmobile)

Anyway, I posted to offer support and ideas for 16paws as she grows out her short hair while riding.  I recently grew out my bangs to match the rest of my hair and I acquired some cool braiding ideas to help with helmet head.  When you are long enough for a little braid, let me know.  I was braiding back my 2 1/2 inch bangs and it worked really good.
My "bangs" are now BSL and the rest is tailbone length, but I still use some of those styles now.

Just remember one thing, your hair will take a back seat if the bike is SWEET!  Wink
Jen, (1a/f/ii)
16Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 6:21am
Originally posted by gypsydoll gypsydoll wrote:

OK, 8 paws and a fish....but we have 16 tires and a sled, all motorized!!!
(two cars, three motorcycles, a mini-bike and a snowmobile)

Anyway, I posted to offer support and ideas for 16paws as she grows out her short hair while riding.  I recently grew out my bangs to match the rest of my hair and I acquired some cool braiding ideas to help with helmet head.  When you are long enough for a little braid, let me know.  I was braiding back my 2 1/2 inch bangs and it worked really good.
My "bangs" are now BSL and the rest is tailbone length, but I still use some of those styles now.

Just remember one thing, your hair will take a back seat if the bike is SWEET!  Wink

ROFL..thanks for the encouragement!  I will definitely get with you when it is long enough to braid.  Know what you mean about the hair taking a back seat if the bike is sweet.  LOL  It is funny to see a bunch of guys standing around oogling pipes, accessories, etc.  My DH calls this "butt jewelry." 
gypsydoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsydoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 6:37pm
 [/QUOTE] It is funny to see a bunch of guys standing around oogling pipes, accessories, etc.  My DH calls this "butt jewelry." 
[/QUOTE]

ClapAwesome analogy...hope you don't mind if I use it.
Jen, (1a/f/ii)
16Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2007 at 12:25pm
Feel free to use it!LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic