Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with Aveda Color!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with Aveda Color!
    Posted: March 21 2007 at 8:59am
As far as warmth goes those first two pictures you posted have alot of what I'd call warmth in them. The third is a little more ashy but for the most part they are all warm colors.

The more you lighten the hair the warmer it becomes....this is why the lighter you go the more controlling color you need to use to offset the warmth when lightening.

greengyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2007 at 6:50am
Nope on the blonde over red.  I actually haven't used blonde in a long time.  This was simply a different line than I usually use...and I even used the purple neutralizer that supposedly controls red!

Hopefully, this salon is not JUST Aveda.  I'll ask if they use anything else...some do.  I'll be sure to drive home my desire to control the warmth (read: NO RED!!!)

Thanks!
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 10:45pm
Aveda color is very translucent. If you have gray hair the gray coverage with Aveda color is not the greatest. It's a good color line but there are better ones out there....IMO Aveda is very similar to Goldwell color but IMHO Goldwell is better.

You said in your post... " the last color for some reason pulled almost copper on top of the medium brown. "

I'm assuming you put blonde over your already red haircolor trying to lighten it and the virgin regrowth tinted to a blonde but the previously colored hair stayed the same.

This is because artificial color doesn't lighten artificial color. The only thing that removes artificial color from previously colored hair is bleach or a color remover like RUSK Elim8.

Aveda color will work good for ya....I'm not too fond of their bleach though...usually need to tone after using it because it doesn't control the warmth as good as other bleaches like Matrix's V-Light.

G'luck
greengyal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 6:13pm
Hi everyone,

Long time color addict, first time poster ;).

A little backstory: I was blonde (light, beigey) until I was about 21 and began to darken.  Having attempted brown hair and hating it, I ended up auburn for a couple of years, and then realized I was a blonde at heart and went back.  I've gone back and forth on darker blonde, then brown, then blonde again...and back to a brunette.  While I do like my hair darker (my last attempt at re-blonding was a wake up call to the fact that them days are gone!!), the last color for some reason pulled almost copper on top of the medium brown.  Honestly, it's not a bad color, kind of neat, looks ok on my peachy medium skin tone....but I have decided it's time to pay the piper and head to a salon to get the color I REALLY want and have someone else get rid of my red.  Please keep in mind that what I often think is the way to describe a color isn't...often I think something looks like brown and I'm told no, it's a golden blonde.  eek!

In a nutshell, I'm looking for a base of a honey or caramelish brown with beigey or sandy blonde woven in.  I'm terrified of warm colors because I can walk past a redhead and my hair will turn red!! 

Ideas of what I want

this is sort of my haircut were I more adept at styling, but I like this brown as a base:

The salon I am about to give all of my money to uses Aveda....and I don't have a color printer to show a pic.  If anyone is A) familiar with Aveda shades and can counsel me in how to ask for what I want or B) Has other ideas in this realm that I can use...in other words, a celebrity with that sort of shade I can use as a point of reference.

This was a ton of babble.  Thanks SO much for your help.

~Maybel

Edited by greengyal - March 20 2007 at 6:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic