Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - i am having problems finding a good hair vitamen(s)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

i am having problems finding a good hair vitamen(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WUVIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WUVIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: i am having problems finding a good hair vitamen(s)
    Posted: September 06 2001 at 6:19pm
Reply to message: 21.2525.1
In all honesty, all you need is a good daily vitamin.
One a Day for Women (or man if applicable)
is perfect, as well as inexpensive.
Hair needs zinc and biotin. One a Day has both.
You only need so many vitamins, so what your body doesn`t use, it will, uh, discharge, shall we say, the rest.

Karen Marie... / ACCOLADY

"You never see Eve, Venus, or the Graces painted with cropped hair."
Van View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2001 at 9:02pm
i am looking at my bottle of A right now, and its 8,000 I.U. per capsule. nature made vitamin. so if 10,000 is over the limit...thats confusing due to the fact that the amount per pill is 8000 so if i take more than 1 per day, you`re saying its dangerous? my doctor told me to take one with each meal and i usually eat twice a day. but i think the only reason he told me that is b/c i have a hectic work schedule, and my normal meals consist of either fast food, or snacks...very nutrient lacking stuff. so since i dont eat right and nowhere near a balanced diet, is it safe to take that many???
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2001 at 8:23am
Reply to message: 21.2533.1
Don`t pop too many vitamin A supplements, because large amounts, particularly megadoses, can be dangerous. According to the Institute of Medicine, Men need 900 micrograms of vitamin A a day and women 700. Don`t ever eat more than 3,000 micrograms a day, because such high levels can cause severe liver disease and, in pregnant women, birth defects. Vitamin A is crucial for good vision, immune function and other bodily functions. In poor countries, vitamin A deficiency is a huge problem that blinds thousands. For us, Vitamin A deficiency is very rare, because North Americans have so many foods chock full of the nutrient: meat, fish, eggs, vitamin-fortified breakfast cereals, and dark-colored fruits and vegetables like oranges, carrots and spinach. Vegetarians, however, may need to eat more dark-coloured fruits and vegetables, because new research shows those foods actually yield half as much vitamin A as previously thought. But vitamin supplements -- even a regular multivitamin that contains three times the RDA -- can push people over safe levels. Of most concern are megadoses, often measured in "international units." Know that 10,000 international units is the same as 3,000 micrograms, a dangerous amount.
Merlin
Van View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2001 at 10:29pm
Reply to message: 21.2530.1
thanks to both of you....i will have to stop by walmart and pick some of that up....i am taking vitimens for faster hair growth/ healthier hair...but why is too much A bad for you??? just wondering b/c ever since i started taking A, my nails have strengthened and are growing faster, and my hair seems to be growing faster too, and i have heard that with A, B and C, there have been no findings that they are bad for you in small or large dosages...so if they are bad for me, i would be interested in finding out why...thanks :)
lgp82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgp82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2001 at 11:45am
quote:

van originally wrote:
right now, i take vitamen A, a vitamen B complex, and b-12....but as i was looking at the info at the drug store the other day, i failed to find info about which vitamen is best for hair growth. i read on one of the pamphlets, that riboflavin found in vitamen B is really good for hair growth, but then on the other pamphlets, its doesnt say a thing about vitamen B helping hair growth. then i heard vitamen A is good for hair and nail growth. so i would appreciate it if someone could please tell me which vitamen is a real good vitamen for hair growth. this info as soon as possible would be wonderful...thanks :)

I used Nature`s Bounty (Walmart) for hair skin and nails for awhile. I had great results. My hair acutally started growing too fast. LOL. I stopped taking them. I can`t say you will have the same results, but they were cheap, so why not try them?
I do know that too much A is bad for you.
~*~*Lisa*~*~
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2001 at 8:25am
Since I don`t know if you are using vitamins to correct a specific problem or just strengthen your hair, I will discuss vitamins and herbs in general and how they work to improve your hair. The B Vitamins play an important role in healthy hair growth and deficiencies have been linked to hair loss. It is recommended to take B vitamins in complex form, because the B`s work off each other in complimentary fashion, although taking extra Biotin is a good idea. Biotin can easily be obtained naturally from the foods you eat --- add bulghur wheat, brown rice, brewer`s yeast, lentils, green peas, soybeans, sunflower seeds and walnuts to your diet...it will improve the condition of your hair. Vitamin C is a wonderful antioxidant and helps improve circulation to the scalp. Vitamin E, another good antioxidant, increases oxygen absorption and improves circulation to the scalp. Zinc enhances immune function and stimulates hair growth. Copper works with Zinc in aiding the growth and strengthening of hair. Kelp supplies an abundance of natural minerals essential for hair growth. L-Cysteine and L-Methionine improve quality, texture and growth of hair and help prevent hair from falling out. Now let`s talk about HERBS ... Bilberry contains fatty acids, and flavonoids -- among some other compounds -- helpful in correcting hairloss due to stress or damage. Horsetail contains calcium, copper, fatty acids, PABA, Pantothenic acid, silica, sodium, starch, zinc .. all very good for strenghtening hair. Maiden Hair Tree is more often referred to as Ginkgo Biloba, which is well known for its ability to improve circulation. Hope this is useful to you.

Merlin
Van View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2001 at 10:09pm
right now, i take vitamen A, a vitamen B complex, and b-12....but as i was looking at the info at the drug store the other day, i failed to find info about which vitamen is best for hair growth. i read on one of the pamphlets, that riboflavin found in vitamen B is really good for hair growth, but then on the other pamphlets, its doesnt say a thing about vitamen B helping hair growth. then i heard vitamen A is good for hair and nail growth. so i would appreciate it if someone could please tell me which vitamen is a real good vitamen for hair growth. this info as soon as possible would be wonderful...thanks :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic