Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need advice about unwanted bleach!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
*Elizabeth* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Elizabeth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice about unwanted bleach!
    Posted: April 02 2007 at 12:27pm
Hello,

I went to the hairdresser three days ago to get highlights. When I visited her the time before, she did a really good job with the colour, and the haircut was great too, so I trusted her. I have shoulder-length medium-brown hair, and I wanted only one or two shades lighter, very discreet, NOT blond, highlights. I repeated this to the her often because she didn't seem to want to look at shades with me, she just kept saying 'great, don't worry, you'll love it'. I even showed her a photo of what I wanted, medium dark hair with just a hint of highlights. She started putting a generic white paste in my hair (#40). I didn't know what it was until this morning after doing some research. Turns out she was bleaching. When the foils came off, it was white. I almost passed out. I said nothing as I didn't want to make a scene. Then she put some kind of shampoo, and it became a little bit blonder, but it's still looks terrible, and my healthy hair is now all dry and frizzy. So I have five questions:
#1 Would it be possible to dye my hair back to my natural brown colour soon?
#2 How can I get my healthy hair back?
#3 How long will my hair be damaged?
#4 Can I demand hair treatments from them?
#5 Legally, is there anything I can do?

I am so sad. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by *Elizabeth* - April 02 2007 at 12:34pm
*Elizabeth*
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 5:33pm
Yes, Yes and Yes. Poor you, you definetly didn't get what you asked for. Your haidresser should have used a high lift colour ie, wella 12/01 specail blonde with an ash tone, as your natural hair is depth of a 4 medium brown it would have only gave you up to 2-3 shades of lift, very subtle blonde, which you asked for.

To answer your questions the best I can;

1) Yes you can colour your hair back to your medium brown, but you will need to pre-pigment the blonde hilights first with red to add back the colour that the bleach has striped, then apply the medium brown.

2)By applying a good conditioning treatment everyday, ie, aussie three min miracle is good.

3) A long time, sorry.

4)Most definetly, not only demand they sort your hair for you which they can by applying a colour, ie wella 8/01 which will tone down the white blonde, and demand they offer conditioning treatments. Dont ask, demand they messed up your hair, they must fix it legally, its your right.

5)As I am a hairdresser, if I made a mistake with one of my clients, I would offer to fix it, if they were not happy. If you feel the salon are not willing to try and fix their mistake, then threaten them with legal action.

You should'nt have kept quiet, when you saw your hair, you should have said to them there and then you were not happy, you wouldn't cause a scene.

I hope this helps you in some way, go to the salon as soon as possible and complain, let me know how you get on.

KarenSmile
karen sanderson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Elizabeth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 8:27am
Thank you so much Karen!

That is great advice. I did mention to the hairdresser that I didn't like the colour, but that I would live with it for a week to see how it goes (I needed to get home fast, I was already very late as she kept me waiting quite a bit) I think she'll try to take the fast lane out of it and give me another shampoo type thing, but I will insist she colour it red first and then dye it properly. I will also insist on moisturizing treatments. Thank you so much!
*Elizabeth*
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 10:24am
Your more than welcomed, Elizabeth. Thumbs%20Up
karen sanderson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Elizabeth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 11:02am
Karen, should both the red and brown colours be applied on the same day?
*Elizabeth*
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 1:25pm
Yes, the red will stain the hair, as when bleaching the hair the bleach strips the red from your natural hair colour, the bleach penatrates deep into the hairs cortex, the bleach then oxadisies removing the hairs natural hair pigment, making it white. So yes the red first, only to the bleached area's, then the medium brown applied straight afterwards.

KarenSmile
karen sanderson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Elizabeth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 1:48pm
Thanks again Karen!

Edited by *Elizabeth* - April 03 2007 at 1:49pm
*Elizabeth*
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 1:51pm
Smile let me know how you get on, and again the best of luck
karen sanderson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Elizabeth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 12:30pm
I went back to the hairdresser and my hair is better now. To make a long story short, she asked me if I wanted the end result to have some highlights or did I want my natural colour back. I decided to go with highlights. She then put a shampoo type colour in my hair, and it worked out fine. She somewhat disagreed with the 'adding red before colouring' saying that this technique is not necessary. I saw that coming didn't I? The owner and the hairdresser were both standing side by side, I felt quite ambushed... And she insisted that my hair isn't damaged because the bleached parts are still shiny. I know for a fact that my hair was much dryer and had a different texture (stiffer) after she bleached it, but what can you do. It looks fine now, and I'm happy the ordeal is over. Thanks again Karen for the great advice!
*Elizabeth*
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 2:49pm
I can not beleive that there are hairdressers out there saying your hair is not damaged because its shinnyShocked, you know more than she does, you felt the texture of your hair diffrent after bleaching and you are right it will be dry after bleaching. And you do need to apply a semi red to pre-pigment bleached hair, before taking it back to its natural colour, I am sure someone will see this post and will tell you the same. I trained for 3 years as a hairstylist and colour correction was a huge part of that training, so I do know what I am talking about.

They have said that about the bleach, to get out of offering you free conditioning treatments.

Can I ask did they charge you again?

Sorry you had a bad experiance, and thats all I hear now, its a shame, because there are good stylist/colourists out there. I feel that working in a salon, its all about money, money, money, thats why I work on my own, I can take my time and get the result my client pays for, and they keep comming back, so I must be doing something right.

Sorry for going on, but I feel so strongly about the mess, so called hairdresser are making to there clients hair, and the distress it causes. A womans pride is her hair after all.

KarenxSmile
karen sanderson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Elizabeth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 3:28pm
I know, and you are not the only one who explained about the red before the brown. You are absolutely right about everything, but there seemed very little I could do. She even called another hairdresser over and said 'does this hair seem damaged to you' the poor guy just stood there, and took a moment before saying 'no', but what else could he say.

They didn't charge me. That would have added insult to injury. The owner said (with a big smile) 'it will be free of charge today', as if she was doing me a favor...

Ugh! I wish I was in your area, I could come see you next time    (I live in Canada, in the Montreal area) As it is, I will try to chose my hairdresser more carefully next time. I've had good stylist/colourists before, I know I can find one again!
*Elizabeth*
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2007 at 11:17am
LOLWell Canada isnt that far awayLOL

I am glad you did get something done and free, as it should be.

Here's hoping you have better luck next  time, with a diffrent salon.

Karen x Smile
karen sanderson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Elizabeth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2007 at 1:53pm
Thanks Karen!   
*Elizabeth*
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 12:30am
Just wanted to say Karen is absolutely right about adding red in first.Wink
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 7:36am
Originally posted by *Elizabeth* *Elizabeth* wrote:

Hello,

I went to the hairdresser three days ago to get highlights. When I visited her the time before, she did a really good job with the colour, and the haircut was great too, so I trusted her. I have shoulder-length medium-brown hair, and I wanted only one or two shades lighter, Typically highlights are at least 2 shades lighter than the overall base color. very discreet, NOT blond, highlights. I repeated this to the her often because she didn't seem to want to look at shades with me, she just kept saying 'great, don't worry, you'll love it'. I even showed her a photo of what I wanted, medium dark hair with just a hint of highlights. She started putting a generic white paste in my hair (#40). I didn't know what it was until this morning after doing some research. Turns out she was bleaching  If hair is previously colored the only way to lighten previously colored hair is by using bleach!. When the foils came off, it was white. I almost passed out. I said nothing as I didn't want to make a scene. Then she put some kind of shampoo, and it became a little bit blonder, but it's still looks terrible, and my healthy hair is now all dry and frizzy. So I have five questions:
#1 Would it be possible to dye my hair back to my natural brown colour soon? Yes  you can dye it back to brown however.....the misconception here is this.....lighter color is more damaging to your hair than dark color. It's FALSE! Anytime you do a chemical service on hair you are putting a Alkaline chemical (PH over 8.0) into your hair which has a normal PH of 4.5 - 5.5. The higher the PH the more drying it is on the hair. A darker color haircolor is no better than a lighter color. It's the volume developer that is used that would be less caustic or damaging to the hair. However if the stylist doesn't watch your hair as you process or keep track of the processing time any haircoloring process can create damage to the hair.
#2 How can I get my healthy hair back? Aftercare when you have a chemical service is so important in caring for your hair. Buy some professional products they are far superior to the supermarket stuff.
#3 How long will my hair be damaged? Damage can NOT b e repaired. It can only be managed until it is cut off the hair. Now a professional stylist would be able to properly evaluate damage of the hair and make a suggestion or two how to properly care for it.
#4 Can I demand hair treatments from them? You can certainly express dissatisfaction with them and explain to them that you are a repeat customer who's always been happy however this time your hair feels damaged after the service and you are upset and concerned about the condition of your hair. Ask them if they would do some deep conditioning treatments to help restore your hair's elasticity and improve the overall condition of the hair since this service wasn't done to your satisfaction in their salon.
#5 Legally, is there anything I can do? Most likely no unless you have chemical burns or scarring on your scalp.

I am so sad. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you!

As for damage in your hair it most likely feels worse than it actually is. It probably feels very rough the more you move down the hair strand. This is because the cuticle which is the protective layer of the hair strand is dry, brittle and in need of a deep conditioning treatment to prevent further drying and protect the cortex of the hair strand which is where the color lies. Search for a salon that offers L'ANZA 5 Step Deep Conditioning Treatment....it will cost you $20-$25 but it's the best thing you can do for your hair. It's called L'ANZA Ultimate Treatment and it's a salon only product.

Also you could try Chi's Silk Infusion which is a leave in conditioner. Use it every day...work it through the midshafts to ends when you blow dry. It's also a thermal protector.

As for shampoo get yourself a moisturizing shampoo like Biolage along with their conditioning balm. Stay away from Paul Mitchell shampoos they are crap! Also don't use anything like Tea Tree shampoo as it's very drying on the hair.

If you flat iron your hair put the flat iron away for several weeks and give your hair a rest from that.

If you do the L'ANZA Treatment every week for a month you will notice a very big difference in your hair. It's really a wonderful thing for your hair.

Stay away from shampoos like Pantene, Pert and other inexpensive products like that....they contain wax by products that give the hair a shine but it creates buildup on the hair and prevent conditioners from working properly on the hair.

That about sums up my advice....I could continue but I gotta save my fingers for work at the salon today!Wink

Best wishes and best of luck!

Edited by Claude - April 12 2007 at 7:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic