Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Only Wash with Water?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
kannd86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kannd86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Only Wash with Water?
    Posted: October 04 2008 at 4:58pm
I came across this post today and read through the whole thread.  What an interesting experiment!  You haven't posted since last year, so I thought I'd ask what's up.  Thanks for sharing.  
Slipknothartgir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slipknothartgir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 1:07pm
This sounds good to me.I'm going to try this to.I need to get my hair healthy again. I color mine so much.I want my shoulder length hair to grow really long.This sounds like a good way to do it.Plus, I wanna dye my hair in 3 months blonde again.It's a red color as of now.I sure hope I can go 3 months without coloring it.I'm very obessed with it.Anyways, I'm gonna try to use only water to wash.
Slipknothartgir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slipknothartgir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 1:02pm
This sounds good to me.I'm going to try this to.I need to get my hair healthy again. I color mine so much.I want my shoulder length hair to grow really long.This sounds like a good way to do it.Plus, I wanna dye my hair in 3 months blonde again.It's a red color as of now.I sure hope I can go 3 months without coloring it.I'm very obessed with it.Anyways, I'm gonna try to use only water to wash.
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 5:44pm
So I'm moving down to Santa Barbara tommorrow and I'm a little worried because they have hard water down there.  I might have to start washing my hair pretty frequently until I get a shower filter. But I'm not sure yet. I'll just have to see how my hair responds and keep you all updated.

Otherwise I'm really excited to start school down there. Woohoo!!

My hair situation right now - I haven't rinsed it at all for 5 days and it's greasy as hell! It feels super soft though LOL

Edited by Sarsvati - August 03 2007 at 5:46pm
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 3:08pm
ya it will probably take a while for your hair to start feeling strong and moisturized since it's damaged. And you'll probably have to add your own oil to the ends to keep them moisturized. I still oil the ends just because they're damaged from the sun so they need a little extra help. Your hair's priobably porous and loses moisture easliy. It seems like you might have a dry scalp as well if it's been 2 weeks and your hair's barely oily. I was a greaseball at that point! THat's a good thing though because even though it wi9ll take longer for your hair to reap the benefits at first, you'll probably have no trouble with greasiness in the long run.
You could try oiling the ends after showering while your hair is still wet since oil doesn't actually moisturize, but just locks in the moisture that's already there. That's what I do. It seems to work. I've never heard of vitamin e oil for the hair, so I can't help you with that one. 
Man if it's been 2 weeks and your still not looking greasy on the scalp I'd say only rinse your hair quikly to get out the sweat and grime from work. And only rinse with cold water because even just warm water takes off some of the oils. And make sure your doing something to move those oils down the length.
Hang in there. You can take it, your tough Tongue. Just make sure you keep the ends moisturized while your own oils work their way down. And give it some time- your hair will start feeling better soon. If your hair's soaking up all the oils your producing that must mean it really needs them!
suicides_eve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2007 at 8:04am
lol i like to readSmile
 i am at a loss but not giving in, it seems as though my hair is so dry it is soaking up the oils as i produce them. i haven't  touched my hair for a week and it is not oily! it's just about as dry as when i started for the exception on about 1/2"  at my roots

i wonder if vitiam e  would work in any way? i read some were the e oil is good for you? i bet if i rubbed my scalp down in that it might help, maybe it is to dry?
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2007 at 7:29pm
hey kriss,
I found this entry in the water only journal I was keeping:

Day 19     4/13
     WO. When I wring out my hair, it feels waxy all of the way to the tips now.

My hair was about 30" at that point, almost to my waist. So It might have taken about a week to get at least a light coat of sebum down to my shoulders.  A light coat meaning enough ot make the hair feel softer, but not enough to look greasy all the way down to the shoulders. Although I still produced alot of sebum at that point. So if you don't produce as much sebum, or since your hair is pretty damaged, it might take a little longer than that to have nice and strong hair all the way to your shoulders. Hope that gives you some idea.
Your probably right about the conditioner stripping off some of the sebum. BUt if it helps your hair stay moisturized and not tangle in the begining, go for it.  If your hair likes oil though, you could probably do just as well with just oiling the ends. You could try that and if your hair is just too tangly and dry without conditioner, then you could go back to conditioning the ends untill you get a little more sebum on your hair.
If I want to wear my hair down everyday and look presentable, I have to rinse everyday.  Of course I don't do that because I'm lazy and don't care if I'm greadsy at times. But that's the same schedule I was on when I shampood. So if you 'pooed less often than that you could probably rinse less often than that and be fine. It might help to rinse less at first to let your scalp adjust and let the sebum reach the ends. but then again that might make it so horrible that you end up quitting. I was pretty greasy regardless of whether I rinsed in the beginning, althoug hrinsing did help somewhat. SO I just rinsed every 3 days or so. I guess just do what works for you! Alot of help, I know...
SOrry I always make you read so freaking much! Just trying to be thorough. I'm excited to see how this helps your hair! The new color looks nice by the way. Looks like you died it a burgundy color?

Thanks Diva. It is working out pretty well. I'm pretty happy about that too!
I'm 2 weeks into it now and my hair is feeling very soft again. I think the 2 heavy oilings I did helped speed that process up! Also, I can still run my hands through my scalp without them feeling super oily. THe scalp does feels and looks a little oily at this point. Not too bad but I'm due for another rinsing. I'm glad so many people are getting something out of this thread! I'll definitely keep you all posted....
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2007 at 2:40pm
Wow.. Just checked in here to see how your progress is going, and it sounds like overall this has been a great success for you.. Whoo hoo!!! Looking forward to the next updates..
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 5:46pm
hey i got a ?? How long did it take for the  oil to reach shoulder length? Also how often did you rinse in water? I want to put a leave in conditioner on the bad ends (about a 1" left) but i am afraid it will stop the oil from fully going down the shaft?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 4:25pm
Clap  yea!
 i had some set backs the other day and had to start over, my hair was in desperate need of a protein treatmentCry and a super deep condtioning. but now i am back on trackSmile

the brush so far has been doing pretty good i wear my hair back all the time so it helps out too i too find that a good old finger srub does great buy it's self
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 3:55pm
looks like there's no cones, so that's good. Alot of other ingredients in there though that I'm not sure about, looks kinda scary. But I guess if its working for you keep using it.

hows the boar bristle brush working out for you kriss?
I used to use a fine toothed wooden comb to distribute the oils. It did the job real well, but it also made my scalp really greasy and it got so much dirty lint in it that eventually I couldn't clean it well enough and just had to stop using it. Now I just use a wide toothed comb mostly for detangling and to get rid of the lint, although I'm not getting that quite yet since I'm only on day 11. It distributes the oils a little, but mostly I do that with my fingers in the shower.

Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

Just wanted to say Sarsvati that I've enjoyed reading your thread and your updates on WO.  I tried it but I didn't get very far.  Maybe because my skin is super oily (so my scalp is also) and this may be why I couldn't get over the initial hard beginning.  I keep reading though and may go for it again one day.  Thanks for posting it!

Thanks Susan! It's nice to hear that some people are getting somethiung out of this thread. And whatever your doing to your hair, it looks nice and thick and healthy to me.

I also wanted to pop in and say that yesterday was day 10 and I wore my hair down and it looked great. My friend who hasn't seen me in a couple months also said that my hair looked beautiful Big%20smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 10:17am

i can't wait to do this!!

ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Stearalkonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Mineral Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Wheat Flour (Triticum Vulgare) Lipids, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Alpha-glucan Oligosaccharide, Keratin Amino Acids, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Magnesium Citrate, Manganese Citrate, Avocado (Persea Gratissima) Oil, Soybean (Glycine Soja) Sterol, Ceramide 3, Butyl Methoxy-dibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Myristic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Polysorbate 60, Polysorbate 20, Potassium Sorbate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Petrolatum, Stearyl Alcohol, Disodium Edta, Dmdm Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum), Red 4 (Ci 14700), Yellow 5 (Ci 19140), Blue 1 (Ci 42090), Red 33 (Ci 17200).

NEXXUSPHERE® INGREDIENTS Polyglyceryl-3 Distearate, Polysorbate 60, Myristic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Flour Lipids, Ceramide 3, Avocado Oil, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterol, Alpha Glucan Oligosaccharide, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate (Octyl Methoxycinnamate), Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Tocopheryl Acetate.

there web site is:

http://www.nexxus.com/hair_care_brands/signature_line/conditioner_humectress_moisturizing_3.html
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 2:43pm
Just wanted to say Sarsvati that I've enjoyed reading your thread and your updates on WO.  I tried it but I didn't get very far.  Maybe because my skin is super oily (so my scalp is also) and this may be why I couldn't get over the initial hard beginning.  I keep reading though and may go for it again one day.  Thanks for posting it!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 1:37pm

Cool, I'm gald your into it. lets do this!

Yes, I put coconut oil and sometimes jojoba oil from the ears down, or where ever it feels dry. And it's okay if I put too much on because my hair just soaks it up usually by the next day and feels extra soft.

I tried to find nexus, couldn't. Is that a conditioner?  If it is a conditioner I think that would be a good thing to put on the ends of your hair to help keep it from tangling and ripping. My hair was very tangly at first which made it hard to pull the oils down, and my hair isn't even that damaged. So, yes I think either conditioner or oil would help. would you mind listing the ingredients though? 'cause if there's things like cones in it, that might just cause build up in the long run and you might be better off just oiling the hell out of it if it gets dry and tangly.

If you wouldn't mind copying your experiences into this topic that would be nice. 'Cause then people who are curious about this could read more than one person's experience with it. Well, good luck and enjoy the adventure! I'm right here with ya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 1:29pm
Ok so i started my journal today. it just give a little bit in to my reasons for trying it and  what not i hope to add to it daily

http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=54789&PID=410130#410130

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 12:17pm
lol i just reread the part where it says coconut oil on  your ends 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 12:15pm
luckily wear i work at it doesn't matter if what i look like b/c i always come out all dirty and stinky anyway lol, and i always have to have my hair back so i am quite use to it.

i have done the condtioner only washes for a while now and it improved my hair some what but i know it can be in better shape.

i am gonna  have my b/f  look in to  getting a shower head filter put in i have done LOTS of research and fine others  have similar problems to mine.  (hard water sucksThumbs%20Down)And if that dosn't work then down to the creek i go! i know the water is healthy looking thereBig%20smile..

I think i will start  this coming Monday with a hair journal  on my water only experiment.  btw when you say 'oiling' what do you use?  I  am thinking about using only the nexxus hummcant on the end as it seems to work ok there just not on top of my head that and i am almost doen with the bottle i bought a bit back
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 10:00pm
Hi Eve. My hair is growing at about the same rate because I used to give myself head massages before starting this experiment anyway. But I haven't had to trim for... 4months now and there's no sign of needing a trim because  my hair is much healthier and stronger when I don't wash it. I have sunbleached ends that feel dry and very weak usually. But with water only it feels soft and strong and is shinier with no frizz. I'm sure this would help the condition of your hair immensely.

It's not for the faint of heart though. It definitely takes getting used to at first, when your used to the feel of freshly 'pooed hair every day. Because even when the scalp adjusts and your hair doesn't look greasy anymore, "natural hair" feels different, moeves somewhat differently, etc. It's probably somewhat like having straight hair all your life and then haveing curly hair all the sudden and having to get used to the way curly hair moves and feels. It's hard to explain.  But if you can stick it out your hair would definitely thank you for it.

Also, I don't know if you've tried conditioner only washes, but that's what I did before starting this and that m,ade my hair healthier too. Condition only might be a good place to start if you haven't tried it because it will put more moisture and life back into your hair without having to deal withthe greasiness that comes with adjusting to water only. It would probably also help you scalp adjust to water only if you decide to do that in the future.

If you do decide to do water only that would be awesome and I'd love to hear about your experience. Also, I'd love to help with any problems you might encounter along the way since I've already been working out the kinks for 3months now. 

My first tips would be to find a couple updos you like, cause you won't be wearing your hair down for at least a couple months, I'll tell you that right now. And it looks like you have some hair that would probably frame your face while the rest is back. I'd just leave those down and shampoo them (tryin not to get the scalp to much). Then noone will be able to tell your hair is greasy. the rest will just look shiny in its pretty little updo.
        I comb my ahir every day (well, on the days I'm not lazy) with a wide toothed comb to move the oils down. 
        Also rinse really well in the shower for at least a couple minutes. I part my hair to one side. scrub and scratch the scalp really well. Then use my fingers to pull the oils down from the scalp. Then I part it to the other side a do the same. Whatever wayy works for you you so that you can get as much of the hair as possible. And don't neglect the bakc of your scalp. I do this with warm,, not hot water. Because hot water rinses out to much of the oils and it's a frizzy mess afterwards. THen I end with cold water to close the cuticle.
        Since your blonde like me, you could alos do a lemon water rinse after to help keep the build up at bay.
        And if you have hard water I REALLY suggest a shower filter. I got so much build up in my hair from just one day in polluted ocean water. It totally messed up my hair so I don't think it would be very possible to do water only with hard water.

Wooh, gues that's all for now. Don't know how my posts always end up so long. Guess I have alot to say. Anyhoo, good luck. I'm sure there's beautiful, healthy hair in your future!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 6:34pm
has your hair grown faster using this water only test? i am curious. i think i might give this a go, my hair is damaged from chemicals and  nothing i have tried will give my hair the moisture it needs so badly except for at the crown  where my natural oils are. I have had a serious trim to try and remove  the left over bad parts but miss the  hair length i once had..
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 1:51pm
I rinsed my hair last night and today it looks freshly washed. And since I've been oiling the ends and not washing it, it's starting to feel real soft and look shiny again.
So even if I do go back to washing, I'm definitely going ot stretch out my washings alot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic