Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Only Wash with Water?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2007 at 4:28pm
I feel like I'm kinda talkin to myself here, but oh well, I guess people don't post in this section alot.
Anyway, I found another interesting news article about a water only experiment.

If you're interested: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=394226&in_page_id=1879
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 10:25pm
So I'm on day..15 now.  Just going into week 3. My scalp hair is pretty much just as greasy as it's been since about day 3, but the oil is slowly moving down the length.

ON the days that I water wash my hair, my bangs and scalp look pretty good for half the day, only slightly oily. I saw a friend who I hadn't seen since starting this, and she couldn't even tell I hadn't washed (hair was up, but bangs were down).
IF I comb my hair after showering though, I brush the oil right back in 'cause my comb has so much sebum on it.

My length is getting so much softer. Especially the nape hair underneath, which usuially is coarse and tangly. After fingercombing my hair, I can comb through the whole length with a fine-toothed comb and not not have it tangle or rip. Woohoo!
OH and I pretty much have no more flyaways! I use to get a lot.
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 2:32pm
Why would anyone want to do that? Why, for beautiful, shiny, strong, self-cleaning hair of course. Well, supposedly...

WHAT I"M DOING:

So I decided to start a 3 month experiment where I'm only going to wash my hair with water.

Why 3 months? In this article I read (which I talk about in the next paragraph), it took the lady a month for her scalp to adjust. But she had dry hair, and I have a super oily scalp. So, 3 months it is. I wrote a little bit about this in my intro message here:

Hey, My name's Jessica. This seems like a great place to learn how to take care of my hair since I'm trying to grow it out.
I also thought I'd join 'cause I'm trying an experiment on my hair where I'm only using water to wash it (now you think I'm crazy right?). I read this article about a lady who hadn't washed her hair for 11 yrs and supposedly it be came self-cleaning and beautiful so I thought why not try it? I don't mind looking like a bum in public so it shouldn't be too hard.
I was searching on this board to see if any one else had tried it, and I couldn't find anything so I thougth I'd start a thread to share my own experience. I think I'll put it in the alternative hair care section if you want to follow my experiment.
    Anyway, it's nice to meet everyone. From what I've read you guys seem friendly and helpful.

HOW IT WORKS:
So the logic behind this is we're sort of in a viscous cycle with our hair where we strip our hair of it's natural oil with shampoo. Then we use conditioner to imitate our natural oils. Well that seems sort of silly to me. I mean, sebum was made for our hair, so I'm sure it's good for us. But, you might be asking, won't that lead to nasty, dirty hair?
While the scalp is balancing out, the hair will probably be super greasy at first, and I'm sure that will attract dust and whatnot. But once that's done with, the sebum will actually create a slightly acidic environment that prevents most bad bacteria from being able to thrive while allowing the good ones to live. When we wash our bodies with soap, we may kill the bacteria that's on our skin for the moment. But bacteria is everywhere and it's soon back on our skin in no time. So our natural body oils are actually very important in keeping those bad bacteria at bay. That's why not shampooing the hair will actually make it cleaner!
Wooh, thanks for reading all that. Now... to the actual experiment.

THE EXPERIMENT:
So far I'm on day 9. I have really oily, straight, blonde hair. So I usually have to wash my hair every day if I don't want it looking oily. I don't use shampoo though, I've been using conditioner only to wash my hair for the past half-year (if you want to know how that works you can ask me, but I think this post's pretty damn long already).
I've been washing my hair in the shower everyother day with luke warm water and ending with cold. I've also been combing my hair with my horn-comb twice a day, massaging my scalp and using my fingers all to pull the oils down.
Needless to say my hair is pretty damn greasy. I wear it up, so it looks alright in public. The sebum's not all the way down my length yet(hair waist-length), so I've been lightly oiling the ends with cocnut oil when they feel dry so I can comb easier without ripping my hair out.
Oh, and the water here is medium-soft. I think that would be an issue cause when I lived wher there was hard water, it caused alot of build up in my hair, which I think would make it hard for someone trying to do water only washings with hard water.

That's it for now. If anyone else would like to join in, feel free. It would be interesting to see other's experiences (and what works and what doesn't).

Thanks for reading. Hope you found this at least somewhat intriguing.

Edited to add link to the article: http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13291687,00.html

Edited by Sarsvati - April 17 2007 at 1:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic