Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting the green out of grey hair!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sarbnot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarbnot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting the green out of grey hair!
    Posted: April 05 2007 at 9:23am
My sister need some help.  She used a rinse to cover her grey hair and now it's a greenish yellow color.  We used uncolor for semipermanent color, but it didn't work.  We tried using a honey brown rinse but that didn't work either.  Please help her.
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 11:37pm
call the companies help/info line. It should be posted on the box or instructions. Or contact them through there website. they have pros waiting just to answer dilemas like this.
sarbnot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarbnot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2007 at 2:24pm
Believe it or not... there is no number on the bottler or the name of the company.  I have been doing a search on Adore and can't find anything.

Thanks
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2007 at 7:28pm
What color rinse did she use to cover the grey hairs? Is Adore the name of the company?
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2007 at 8:27pm
Why not try a red rinse.. I just asked my friend who is the color king.. He says that when doing perm colors they use red to counteract green.. You need a rinse with a red or violet base. Try Clairol Beautiful Secrets.. Their rinses tell you what the base color is on each bottle..

Edited by Divavocals - April 11 2007 at 9:16pm
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
sarbnot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarbnot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 6:00am
I will try this..... Thank You!
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 11:40am
Going forward, your sister should avoid any colors with a gold or blue base color.. I would stick to the Clairol Beautiful Secrets semi perm line since Adore and others do not tell you clearly what the base color to their rinses is..

The other thing to consider for covering greys is henna.. I'm just starting to do my research on henna, but I do know that you want body art quality pure hennas.. This would be a better and longer lasting way to cover the greys..
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
sarbnot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarbnot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 12:36pm

I will tell her about the clairol rinse.  She has hi-lights in her hair and she was trying to keep the grey covered.  She's in her 50's and I know she doesn't want anything too bright.  But anything is better than green... I think.  I want to research the Adore somemore, I will ask her for the bottle.

Thanks
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by sarbnot sarbnot wrote:

I will tell her about the clairol rinse.  She has hi-lights in her hair and she was trying to keep the grey covered.  She's in her 50's and I know she doesn't want anything too bright.  But anything is better than green... I think.  I want to research the Adore somemore, I will ask her for the bottle.

Thanks
If the color she used had some ash in it, that's likely why the grey hair turned green.. My friend tells me that for grey hair you want to avoid any ashy colors.. All of my rinses are nice warm browns with red or violet bases which work well (albeit not very long) on my greys.. Dunno who makes Adore, but I stopped using it and other semi perms like it when I started going greyer because of all the issues that come from coloring gey hair.. You have to really be careful how you color grey because they take color very differently than say bleached hair does.. Good luck..

Edited by Divavocals - April 12 2007 at 12:55pm

traci60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traci60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 1:16pm
sarbnot,

I had the same problem.  My hairdresser put cellophane in my hair to cover the greys, but it made it look greenish.  A few weeks later I went to another hairdresser and I think they used Sebastian or Matrix on my hair.  Gave me a uniform even color.  I would go to a professional to correct it.  All the best to you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic