Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To cut or not to cut?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To cut or not to cut?
    Posted: April 12 2007 at 3:11pm
       Welcome, Bec! Smile *Absolutely* I believe that your hair looks even better after 4 months without trimming. My wife went *25* months without scissors recently. Family members, even moms and daughters, can be jealous of each other, but even if envy has nothing to do with your situation, you should not curtail your dreams b/c of your mom's negativity. Perhaps you aren't crazy about her 'do either, but you're too respectful to say so! (lol) Blessings, Bob
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 2:13pm
I love V-shaped ends! I don't see any reason to cut it if you love long hair and have no split ends. 
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 1:50am
Haha,Ignore your mother! Be rebellious!
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 12:18pm
V-shaped ends are more natural looking.  Not all the hair grows at the same rate, and some is resting while others are growing.  If you're happy with the way it looks and you don't have splits, then don't bother with it.  If you feel the need for a trim (maybe just to satisfy your mom), then you can do a tiny trim yourself and take off 1/4 inch to make the ends a bit neater.  You can use Feye's self-trimming method and keep your V shape.

Btw, ends that gradually get thinner and V-shaped are commonly referred to as "fairytale ends" by long-haired people. Wink

Edited by hairbraider - April 07 2007 at 12:23pm
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 10:41pm
DO NOT listen to your mother or try to make HER happy! Make YOURSELF happy, most definitely. I would leave it alone! If YOU want to, get the trim to even up the ends. But do it for YOU, not mom! Smile Stay long!
ChocoholicBec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChocoholicBec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 9:00pm
Oh, I don't know what to do.

Okay, so my hair is currently between BSL and waist-length. It's wavy (straightish with a bit of a wave when blow-dried, but I almost never do), and it's fine but normal thickness. It's about 26 inches.

Well, I never, ever get split ends, at least at the ends of my hair (thank heavens!). But my mum thinks I should get it cut, because it's getting 'endy'. In other words, it isn't exactly an even length all along the ends. I think my natural 'hair-cut', as such, is kind of a V-shape, and that's where it's going right now. But my mum wants it to be perfectly straight.
Sometimes she even says she wants me to cut it short, chin-length short, with a fringe (bangs), because it's fine, even though she says that my hair looks a lot better long than hers ever did.

She thinks I'm nuts for wanting to grow my hair really long. Well, she thinks I'm nuts, full stop.

I think long hair is beautiful, and I always have. Even as a small child, my favourite fairytale princess was Rapunzel.

So what do I do? Cut my hair so it looks perfect at the ends, even though I haven't got any splits, which will make my mum happy? Or ignore her and keep growing it until I get sick of it long (which I won't for a few years, anyway) and trim it anyway?

By the way, I haven't had a trim for, ooh, four months now. I think my hair looks better now, even though it doesn't have really really neat ends, than it did when I was getting it trimmed every six to eight weeks. And it's actually easier to look after, even though I need two dye-at-home kits when I want to dye my hair, which I don't very often anyway.

Edited by ChocoholicBec - May 01 2007 at 4:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic