Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Puffy After Shampooing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alex R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Puffy After Shampooing?
    Posted: April 09 2007 at 5:59am
my hair gets really puffy after i shampoo it. do u know how i can solve this problem? i read somewhere about putting a little oil in ur hair afterwards (my hair is very dry mostly), but what oil must i use?

thnx guys
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 11:21am

Many people use jojoba oil because it's very close to the skin's natural oil.  You can use just about any kind of oil though.  I would suggest using a light oil so that your hair doesn't get greasy looking.  I like sweet almond oil.

It only takes a few drops!  Put it in the palm of your hand and rub your hands together, then smooth it evenly through your hair.

I forgot to mention.... your shampoo may be too harsh or you may be using too much.  This will dry out your hair and make it puffy.

Edited by hairbraider - April 09 2007 at 11:23am
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
PlutoPowered View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlutoPowered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Alex R. Alex R. wrote:

my hair gets really puffy after i shampoo it. do u know how i can solve this problem? i read somewhere about putting a little oil in ur hair afterwards (my hair is very dry mostly), but what oil must i use?

thnx guys

In addition to oil, you can use gel or some sort of styling product.  That should help with the frizziness.
Alex R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 12:37pm
would olive or normal cooking oil be alright?

yea i use gel and hairspray during school but they make my scalp dry :(.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 5:49pm
What kind of shampoo are you using? Is it for dry hair? and most important, are you using conditioner?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 11:05pm

would olive or normal cooking oil be alright?

yea i use gel and hairspray during school but they make my scalp dry :(.

it wouldn't hurt anything, but would probably be too thick for a light oiling like you want.

sarah
40 inches
Alex R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2007 at 2:33pm
well i use head and shoulders when my scalp gets dry. no im not using any conditioner, im guessing this is a bad thing? haha

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2007 at 5:08pm

well i use head and shoulders when my scalp gets dry. no im not using any conditioner, im guessing this is a bad thing? haha

Yeah, bad idea. Smile  Try using normal shampoo most of the time and H&S only once in a while.  Conditioner is very important!!
sarah
40 inches
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2007 at 5:31pm
Deft. bad. No wonder your hair is getting puffy. Use a good conditioner for your hair type, and deep condition once a week. You can deep condition by simply using the same conditioner, covering your hair with a shower cap and apply heat for 15-20 minutes. You can use a head dryer or heat cap. If you don't have either, use your blow dryer to apply the heat. Do your final rinse with cold water, so the cuticle on your hair will close. That will give you smoother, shynier hair. Using a leave in conditioner is also a great idea. You won't believe the difference it makes.

If you want to use oil, I recommed organic jojoba oil. It is great for the hair and the skin. I also recently started using Amla oil, and it is working really great. Either one will work much better than the olive oil. Jojoba oil is said to be the closest to our own natural skin and hair oils. So it won't clog your pores and it really makes your hair very soft. Amla oil, is Indian gooseberry oil. It is supposed to do wonders for the hair. I just started using it, but I'm loving it already.

Hope that helps!!
Good luck and great hair
Alex R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 11:48am
wow never knew how important conditioner waz :-O! so if i use a good conditioner do u think that i will be able to get rid of ALL the puff? cos right now what im doin is a really cheap hair flattening method: i wear a beanie and after a few hours take it off. my hair becomes flat but if i do sports or run or something like that then it puffs up again haha!
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 12:04pm
That really depends on your hair texture. If you have straight or wavy hair, after you start giving your hair some loving care, will be pretty much puff free. If you have curly hair, then most likely you are going to have to add some products to keep the hair puff free or at least keep the puff under control. Matrix has a really good line for curly hair, and a really good smoothing line for straight hair.

Now, remember you have been mistreating your hair for some time, so it will take some time for your hair to get back in shape.

Good luck and great hair
Shary
Alex R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 10:36am
wow that conditioner really helps! after football prac today i noticed that my hair wasnt all up in a puffball like usual haha! :D
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 6:10pm
Great to hear thatSmile!
Alex R. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 12:19pm
k well my problem aint completely fixed :(. is there a way that i can straighten my hair without using an iron or other harsh things? cos i like to cure things naturally :) also i noticed that the conditioner doesnt last very long...
ThisGirl0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThisGirl0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 12:56pm
Blowdrying will definitely make your hair straight. I don't usually want to blowdry my hair because of the damage potential, but I can't go without it.
You basically just wash your hair, comb it straight with a wide-tooth comb, put a heat protectant in it (Tressemme makes a good one), and blowdry your hair straight from the top. It works great.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic