Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Young Mom, some grey, Don't want grey!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JennyE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JennyE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Young Mom, some grey, Don't want grey!
    Posted: April 09 2007 at 1:43pm
This pic is fairly recent, but the lighting leaves my hair looking a little more reddish than it actually is. I guess if I have to specify my color (which is completely natural), I would say it is a light brown with some natural blonde highlights. I do believe I have warm undertones (reddish). I am a 32 year old mom of 4, I have noticed more and more grey hair popping up. My remedy thus far has been pulling them out, but I need to stop doing that. I would like to color my hair, not drastically though. I figured I would go a little lighter brown, but I need to have some highlights, otherwise my hair looks flat and wig-like. I'm not sure about which store bought kit I should get. I'd like to stay away from peroxide since I already have reddish undertones and I don't want it to be redder. I refuse to be a red-head! I have had hair coloring nightmares, which seem to result in my hair having the orange look. Right now a professional job is not the way I want to go, since I have not had my hair colored in 2 or more years, plus the cost is an issue. I want a bright, natural look that doesn't fry my hair. I have alot of questions and I'm not altogether familiar with the color wheel to cancel out too much warm undertones. I need help, but I don't want to make the same mistakes as before. I did follow the instructions from the previous kits I had used, and I always ended up with the orange-ish hair though. I do have a neutral/cool skintone, I don't know if that matters when it comes to finding the right color. I just know I can't have red hair (there's nightmares involved!LOL). I'm willing to take a chance and do this, but I would like some great advice from those with experience before I attempt anything. Please help and post pics (if possible) to help me visualize what your suggestions might be.  JennyE

Edited by JennyE - April 09 2007 at 1:44pm
valkyrie_grrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valkyrie_grrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2007 at 4:38pm

Have you considered a semi-permanent haircolor?  If you choose something that is about 1 level lighter than your regular haircolor, you can "blend" your grey without covering over it with something darker, etc., or by severely lightening the hair(and uncovering the reddish tones you don't want).

The nice thing about semi-perms is no visible root line(since the color will gradually fade as you wash your hair).  It might be the way to go if you're not looking for a drastic change.

Another option would be the Second Nature line from Clairol(available at Sally's Beauty Supply).  It does not lighten hair, but will cover/blend grey.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic