Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need advice on troubled colorings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
asinnamon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asinnamon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice on troubled colorings
    Posted: April 14 2007 at 8:36pm
So here is my story:

I have a small amount of grey around my hair line.  I color every 4 to 8 weeks, just depends on how lazy I am and if I'm wearing extensions when that time rolls around.  My natural hair is a couple inches past my shoulders.  About a year ago I dyed my hair very dark, it was about a 1B or dark brown/black.  I didnt like it at all so I started a round of one n only color fix, some recolors, some more color fix, some more color, some metalix from clairol...finally got it to a place I liked, a nice dark 4 reddish copper from Ion.  However, I have a problem.  When I color I use the 4RC & 2 oz of the sensative scalp developer 10v.  This doesn;t cover my gray, but the rest of my hair is pretty evenly colored.  When I use the 20v to cover my gray, my roots, even about the top 2 inches are a MUCH lighter shade then the rest of my colored hair, and my ends are pretty dark.  I do start at the roots and then pull the color thru at the end just to eliminate lines.  I want to stop worrying about all this and cover my gray, which is why I started coloring to begin with. 

Should I use a color stripper on the length of my hair to help even out my color jobs going forward?  Would it even help that out?  Should I just use a protien filler when I color, or would that make my "over dyed" hair grab the color more??

At this point I'm ready to go get the Loreal color stripper w/ bleach in it and just condition the heck out of my hair....I'm just sick of doing the work and not getting the results I want....TIA!
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 1:39pm
I was hoping by now you would have some responses.. I am having trouble getting color to "stick" to my grey hair.. (Also around my hairline too) Semi perms don't "stick" and I recently used L'Oreal Natural Match and that didn't "stick" either.. (Although I wonder if it's possible that I didn't leave the product on long enough)
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by asinnamon asinnamon wrote:

So here is my story:

I have a small amount of grey around my hair line.  I color every 4 to 8 weeks, just depends on how lazy I am and if I'm wearing extensions when that time rolls around.  My natural hair is a couple inches past my shoulders.  About a year ago I dyed my hair very dark, it was about a 1B or dark brown/black.  I didnt like it at all so I started a round of one n only color fix, some recolors, some more color fix, some more color, some metalix from clairol...finally got it to a place I liked, a nice dark 4 reddish copper from Ion.  However, I have a problem.  When I color I use the 4RC & 2 oz of the sensative scalp developer 10v.  This doesn;t cover my gray, but the rest of my hair is pretty evenly colored.  When I use the 20v to cover my gray, my roots, even about the top 2 inches are a MUCH lighter shade then the rest of my colored hair, and my ends are pretty dark.  I do start at the roots and then pull the color thru at the end just to eliminate lines.  I want to stop worrying about all this and cover my gray, which is why I started coloring to begin with. 

Should I use a color stripper on the length of my hair to help even out my color jobs going forward?  Would it even help that out?  Should I just use a protien filler when I color, or would that make my "over dyed" hair grab the color more??

At this point I'm ready to go get the Loreal color stripper w/ bleach in it and just condition the heck out of my hair....I'm just sick of doing the work and not getting the results I want....TIA!

I'm sorry if this comes across harsh but goto a professional. You have alot of stuff in your hair from previous color services. That all factors into your haircoloring. Even though you are putting the same color thru the strand of hair...the uncolored regrowth is virgin hair and the rest is previously colored from the sound of it many times over....all that pigment is in that hair and that all factors into the end result of the haircolor.

You need some form of corrective work but without actually seeing your hair, the condition of the hair, and the actual color I can't advise you further other than to say your safest best is visit a professional salon and don't attempt anything yourself as you could just make it worse.

Different haircolor lines have different formulations for covering gray hair. There is no set rule for covering gray hair....all haircolor lines have their own formulations for covering gray hair. This is what a stylist is trained for and why we are paid for what we do. What is your percentage of gray hair? 0-25%, 26-50%, 51-75% over 75%?

many times what I like to call fashion shades....reds, red browns, red violets don't cover anything over 25% gray. Some color lines just have terrible gray coverage I don't use Ion and I'm not famaliar with it. Redken Color Gels provides good gray coverage but once again you need to know the formulation guidelines to cover gray completely.

Hope that helps ya out.
G'luck

G'luck

Edited by Claude - April 25 2007 at 10:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic