Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Really Short Hair ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Leadfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leadfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Really Short Hair ...
    Posted: April 18 2007 at 7:48am

Hi - I'm new here and I'm sure this question has been asked here a zillion times, so sorry in advance. Smile

I have been thinking for a long time now about getting my hair cut really short.  My hair is currently below my shoulder and in long layers.  It's fairy thick and straight.  I'm just sick of it and would really like a change.

This is the style I'd like: 

My fears are the usual - What if I don't like it and then the dreaded year or so of bad hair to grow it out.  Also, what if I can't style it?  How hard is it to style this way?

Edited by Leadfoot - April 18 2007 at 7:48am
glove20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glove20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 10:13am
I think the style you're interested in getting is hot...it takes a certain type of girl to pull it off but it can look sooooo good.  Do you have a current pic of what your hair looks like?
Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 11:13am
The keys to getting this look are the cut and the products you need.

Do you have a regular stylist?  Do you think he/she can AND will give you this cut?  Stylists often leave their own fingerprint on a haircut.  So, while you may end up with a cut very similar to the one in the photo, you may not end up with this look.  The devil is in the details.  Show the picture to your stylist and tell them it's what you want.

You may have to mess around with some products to get something that allows you to create and keep this look.  It will depend largely on your hair type.  Your stylist should be able to recommend something appropriate.

What if you end up hating it?  Well, then you end up hating it.  You better be sure this is what you want before submitting to the shears.  Then again, if you don't try it, you may never know.  Nothing ventured... 

Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 12:30pm
I agree with Rocky... that syle is great but its a few snips from looking like a little boy who went to school with out fixing his hair.

If you have not had short hair before you might want to go shorter in a few steps.  you may find out "that" short is not for you with out having to go that short.
Snipette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 2:31pm
It's hard to tell if this would suit you without seeing a picture of your face, but as your hair will always grow and you have been thinking about it for a long time and you're still thinking about it.

Then i say just go and do it.

I know if you don't like it, it will take a while to grow, but you will probably love it.  Just get a stylist you know has done similar styles or you can trust to give you what you want.

All the best, and post some before and after picture too.
Snipette
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 5:21pm
It would be good to get a consultation with a stylist. Then they could tell you whether that style would work well with your face shape and hair type.
But I say, since you've been considering it so long and you still want to do it, go for it!
What if you hate it?
What if you love it!
conrad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 8:13pm
Going from your stated length to that short would be a significant change, one that you may or may not like.  Going shorter graduately may be in your best interest, like Hal said.  Get a shorter cut, if you liked it that short, go the next time and tell your stylist to cut it a bit shorter, and so on and so on, until you get to that point where you can say "I've cut it short, and I am ready to cut it as short as the pic"  Then go for it! Star You may have better results going the gradual steps.  That is just my opinion, but that is the way my wife went thru the process of getting her hair cut shorter.  She is not at the stage where she wants it that short, but i dont think she wants hair that sort anyway.

P.S. you have to remember, that girl in the pic was made up for this picture by professionals.

Edited by conrad - April 18 2007 at 8:13pm
Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 10:33pm
No matter how long your hair is going this short is really exposing. Most women, let alone those with hair below their shoulders, wouldn't consider going this short. This isn't cutting a couple of inches off or trying a long bob. This is the kind of cut that you only get if it's something you really want. That you are considering it should tell you something about yourself. From time to time I've assisted friends with choosing a haircut. Unless someone told me they were looking for hair this short, I'd never suggest it. To most women, that's too daring.

You may hate it. You may love it. Only one way to know.

Leadfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leadfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 8:30am
Thanks for the responses.

My face is pretty much the same shape as the models, but a little longer and thinner.

Rocky - I recently moved to a new state and no, I don't know of a good stylist.  That part scares me because I know if it's not cut right the perfectionist in me will hate it.  If I decide to do this, I will go in person and talk to them before making the appointment -  if I get a good vive from the salon (I have to trust my instincts I guess).  Anyway, the girl that currently does my hair does an "okay" job.  I really go to her more out of convenience since her salon is so close to my home.  I know it's horrible to say, but I don't think I'd trust her to cut it that short for me!

I've had long hair all my life.  I decided to cut it short (but not as short as the picture) 5 years ago.  The cut was horrible, all it looked like was a shorter version of what I had.  I ended up hating it and started growing it out 2 months after getting it cut.  So I've kind of done the halfway-short cut already. 

I like the short hair because it's something totally different from what I have.  It's unique, plus it better fits my lifestyle as someone who is pretty active.  It seems like anymore my hair is up in a ponytail 90% of the time anyway. 

It's kind of funny how we become so attached to hair, something that isn't permanent and will grow back in time.   I have 4 tattoos which are of course permanent, and I never stressed so much about whether or not to have them done!  I don't get myself sometimes! LOL

Edited by Leadfoot - April 19 2007 at 8:32am
Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Leadfoot Leadfoot wrote:

... the girl that currently does my hair does an "okay" job.  I really go to her more out of convenience since her salon is so close to my home.  I know it's horrible to say, but I don't think I'd trust her to cut it that short for me!

So, you understood the point I was trying to make... Smile

There's nothing horrible at all about what you're saying.  There are plenty of salons and stylists around that can cut hair and make your hair look nice. But...  There are relatively few stylists who can do a haircut that has that certain something that makes it look really great. 

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 12:33pm
Don't be fooled by the "short hair is easier" lie.  It often isn't.  It requires daily upkeep and multiple expensive products.  In addition, you generally have to get it cut every three to four weeks to maintain the shape.  So think long and hard.  The style you posted is very cute but I suspect it takes some work along with lots of products to get it to look like that.  And beware the windy or humid day.  That look could be gone in an instant.

Don't get me wrong, I love short hair and I wear mine super short.  But I did find that it takes a lot of maintenance to keep it like I like it.

Edited by demodoll - April 19 2007 at 12:33pm
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 7:19pm
If you're wearing it in a ponytail 90% of the time, I say go for it.  Good luck and have fun with it.
HAWG
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 11:09am
I agree with demodoll.I have had long hair and short hair.The long hair was much easier to take care of.I just washed and put it up on days where I didnt feel like messing with it.Where you cant do that with really short hair. Thats one thing I dont miss about super short hair.I had to keep it very clean and constantly styled.
I understand why your freaked out though.You have never had short hair before,and arent sure if it will look good.

A word of friendly advice.I wouldnt go so drastically short right off. It takes a special face to pull off a cut like this.I have known many women who were very pretty who looked awful with haircuts like this.Maybe have someone photoshop a pic of you with this cut first.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it.Its just a cut that not easy to pull off,and I know from experience this cut will grow out wierd without constant trips to the hairdresser.Good luckSmile

Snipette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2007 at 6:50pm
So did you get your hair cut short???
Leadfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leadfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Snipette Snipette wrote:

So did you get your hair cut short???

Well....

I kind of wussed out at the salon. Confused Driving home, I thought to myself I should have done it.   Oh well, maybe next time!  

BTW - Thanks for asking.

Edited by Leadfoot - June 13 2007 at 7:34pm
Snipette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2007 at 5:14pm
Oh well as you say there is always next time or tomorrow LOL

So what did you end up having done?
Leadfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leadfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Snipette Snipette wrote:

So what did you end up having done?

Same old same old. Ermm  I just had my long layers cut.  I get more and more sick of my current hair everyday, so I'll eventually "acquire a spine" and cut it off.
lovebobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovebobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 11:26pm
go for it,    you will love it!
Long with BLUNT bangs or ALL cut to lip length, I cant decide my favorite!
Snipette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 1:27pm
Leadfoot, if you need a big push, (and this is just a suggestion), then when you are feeling really positive and wanting to do it, pick up some scissors and cut your hair to chin length yourself.  Then go to your salon say a friend messed up a bob cut and it needs fixing. Then say you want to go shorter and show them the picture above.  It's a bit extreme, but if you act on the spur of the moment you won't have time to chicken out.

Good Luck
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 8:08pm
Leadfoot.
I agree,as a stylist its all in the cut. You could have the hair texture for the cut but if movment is cut into the style wrong you will never be able to achieve that look. You should be able to get the look without loading up the hair with all types of condiments. I agree that some needs to be used but never enough that makes your hair look fake. and stiff as a board. Search for a great stylist and ask many, many questions. If you see someone with a style ask where they got the cut done. Sometimes you could get the best cut form a young stylist out of school and know many new methods. I have not been in this forum for a while but I am sure you could find your answers to many questions here. 
Mike  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic