Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What's the ULTIMATE flat iron?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
nati84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nati84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 1:26am
I just gave up using a flat iron but the SEDU does sound pretty amazing. Maybe I will reconsider and try it :)

Edited by Karen Shelton - June 28 2010 at 10:37pm
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 10:40pm
The real truth?  There is absolutely NO best or worst iron. 

In fact, the majority of all irons...pro and consumer...are made by a small handful of manufacturing factories in China or South America.

The key difference amongst irons is how they are marketed and whether they are marketed to the professional hair market or the consumer hair market.

The BEST iron is the one that is best for you.  An iron that is great for your friend may really suck for you and your hair.

How should you select the best iron for you?

Select it by:
1.  Your type of hair (thin, fine, medium, thick, super thick)
2.  Your texture (straight, naturally curly, wavy, kinky, combo)
3.  Your hair's length (short, medium, long)
4.  How often you plan to use your iron (daily, weekly, monthly, special events only)
5.  How damaged your hair is currently.
6.  Whether you chemically treat your hair.
7.  What types of options and features you desire (heat settings etc.,)
8.  What your hairdresser recommends for your hair.
9.  How the iron feels in your hand.  Some are lighter and easier to use than others.
10.  Your budget (yes you can get great irons for good prices).
11.  Whether you are swayed by glossy marketing campaigns.
12.  How long you plan to keep your iron (some last longer than others).

After you have evaluated these categories than you can narrow your selection down to irons that custom fit you and your hair.  Not the other way around.

I can't comment about Sedu except to say it is very annoying how often I have to remove advertisements from them or their sales people from HairTalk.  It seems they (Sedu marketers) are some of the worst offenders (although GHD is a close second) which makes me dislike the irons just for that reason.

I ask myself, why does a company have to be so aggressive about promoting their irons.  Most irons can stand on their own merits.  Right?  Some of the greatest hair products and tools don't need to aggressively market.  Their products speak volumes on the merits of how they perform.

As a person who went to cosmetology school who has a hair license (I am constantly updating my education), I find that many hot iron brands are very similar.  As they should be, due to the fact they are ALL being manufactured by the same factories. 

This is such a key point that so many hair consumers miss.  I know it's true, I've talked to the reps of some of the factories and my vendors have confirmed this to me many times.

Remember that with any hair tool or product ultimately you deserve to get the best that is the best for you and no one else.

So forget the glossy marketing hypes and buy an iron that works best for you.

Remember, any iron that you use too often or improperly or with too much heat can over time damage your hair.  Find the best for you.  Your hair deserves it.

Edited by Karen Shelton - June 28 2010 at 10:57pm
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
askvivi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote askvivi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 1:00pm
I recommend an iron which has tourmaline ceramic plates with rounded edges which makes it great for also curling your hair. I love it! my hair looks very straight, smooth and resilient. :)   

Edited by Karen Shelton - September 09 2011 at 1:16pm
Kirbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 12:14am
The FHI iron is hands down my favorite thus far. If you google Chi versus FHI, you will get some shpeel about the difference in plate sizes, the lengths of the cords, some ergo crap etc. It all boils down to what your preference is and in the end, what really matters is what the product does for your hair.
beachbum88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachbum88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2011 at 5:02pm
The best flat iron is easily the HANA elite. If you can't afford that one (it's around $220) then go HANA pro. I've used CHIs, Sedus, and Paul Browns before and the HANA works better and lasts longer than them all!
Aimee0801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aimee0801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2011 at 1:43pm
Go with any iron which heats all the way up to 450 degrees but has temperature control so you can choose your setting so you don't damage your hair.

Some irons will automatically turn off when it gets to 480 degrees which can help the fuse from blowing.  It will help the life of the iron.

There are many on the market which offer these features.

Good luck.

Edited by Aimee0801 - September 02 2011 at 1:48pm
beachbum88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachbum88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2011 at 4:11pm
I would say if you're looking for the best flat iron on the market there are a lot of great brands but HANA is the best! Adjustable heat is very important, so is the plate material.

Edited by Karen Shelton - September 09 2011 at 1:16pm
monicawebb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monicawebb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 2:37pm

I personally think CHI  is the best flat iron ever! .

Edited by Karen Shelton - March 19 2014 at 8:44am
dcssalman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcssalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 1:37am
nice information great blog

Edited by Karen Shelton - March 19 2014 at 8:39am
imane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 6:56am
Go for sedu or T3, they're great and give great results

Edited by Karen Shelton - March 19 2014 at 8:43am

minos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2014 at 8:50am
I recommend the Paul Mitchell flat iron.  It's the best flat iron that I've ever used.

Edited by Karen Shelton - April 12 2014 at 2:26pm
black&white View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black&white Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2014 at 6:35am
There are many different flat irons.  Just do your research before you decide to buy.  Good luck.

Edited by Karen Shelton - August 30 2014 at 10:32am
LinF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LinF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 4:22am
Hi Electro Fairy,
I'm new but this is the 2nd post.  Thanks for sharing all the scoops on irons.

Edited by Karen Shelton - December 15 2014 at 4:50am
Lin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic