Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

best way to prevent breakage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zosogirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zosogirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best way to prevent breakage
    Posted: April 23 2007 at 7:22am
I've put my hair through a lot of coloring trauma lately and would like to give it a break all summer. What is my best bet to prevent breakage? Should I put mya hair up in a bun, braid or ponytail. I'm already conditioning it everyday, and I'm not styling it at all. The ends break off pretty easily. Would putting it up in a bun everyday help prevent that at all? I just want it to get healthy and grow a little. Thanks for any advice!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 8:21am
Lots of things can help!  No styling, especially with heat, will help a lot.  Putting it in a bun will certainly help by preventing tangles, providing you are holding the bun up with accessories that don't tear hear (no peeling bobby pins, accessories with sharp edges or sharp seams).  Braids are also good for the same reason (use thick elastics or ouchless ones -the ones with no metal piece to scratch your hair).

Other things that can help include making sure its not split, and getting a trim if it is (splits climb up the hair making the damage get worse, and making hair break off at the ends).  You don't usually need a ton of hair cut off, just the splits.

Also, make sure you aren't getting silicone buildup on your hair from conditioners.  This is usually ingredients in the conditioner that end in "cone" or "one", though not always.  This can make a coat on the hair which can break off and take pieces of your hair with it.  Its okay to use silicones, they do make hair less tangly, just be sure to clarify them off every once in awhile using a clarifying shampoo (any shampoo that says "clarifying" on it).  Don't use a clarifying shampoo all the time - once every 2 weeks to once every 2 months is plenty enough to remove the buildup.   Its very drying so you'll want to condition well after using it (either with a special treatment, or using conditioner twice).

If you live somewhere that has very hard water, a dilute vinegar rinse done last after you rinse out your conditioner also does wonders.  (It won't do much if you live somewhere that has nice soft water.  How do you tell? If your bath soap suds easily, you probably have soft water.  If it doesn't suds much at all you probably have hard water).  Put a tablespoon of vinegar in a cup of water and pour this over your head after conditioning - do not rinse out, the smell will evaporate as your hair dries.  Your hair will be much softer, shinier and less tangly.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
zosogirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zosogirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 3:23pm
Thank you very much for all the advice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic