Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Using toner for multi dimensional blonde lowlights
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Using toner for multi dimensional blonde lowlights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Quadratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quadratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using toner for multi dimensional blonde lowlights
    Posted: April 23 2007 at 4:53pm

Hi :-)

So, I'm going to be putting in hair extensions, and need to color my hair first. My hair is almost shoulder length now, and I have about 2 inches of root regrowth (I know it's way overdue, but I've been growing my hair out trying to figure out a plan before acting). My natural hair color is a dark dishwater ash blonde which just looks nothing but horrible on me. The blonder hair on me right now is colored with Clairol Born blonde Original Formula with some subtle more peachy blonde tones towards the bottom when I had some brown/reddish tints in my hair, which were then lifted to blonde again.

I think I want to color the roots with the Born Blonde, to match what I have. But then I have that solid blonde that just kind of bricks itself on your head. What I would love to have is a blonde on blonde multidimensional look with some yellowish and goldish and peach
tones to it. I want to get that blonde sunkissed strandy look where it looks like there's so much movement in your hair and thus will be easier to blend with the extensions (strand by strand method).

What do you all think of doing "lowlights" with blonde toners? Personally I love Clairol's toners. I've used Clairol toner before to tone bleached hair before to make it more gold, and I love it. Maybe I could choose a 3rd toner and do some foiling, to get that tone on tone effect?
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 8:09am
Well, I'm no pro, so my advice may not be that pertinent, (particularly where extensions are concerned) but it sounds painful.  If you're going to do this yourself, and pick out strand by strand to make them different, using a toner probably wouldn't be the best option simply because it will wash out pretty soon and you'd have to redo it frequently to keep it multidimensional (which is what I meant by it sounding like it would be a pain).  It would probably be less of a pain if you use dyes you won't have to mess with again, choosing different base colors to achieve different shades of results after its been lifted to blonde, instead of toners.  That will be complicated too, and take some test stranding and experimenting, but at least it will last after its done.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Quadratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quadratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 3:24pm

Thank you for responding to me Susan. As for the toner lasting do you mean the kind that wash out like the Clairol Born blonde toners? 

Or can more permanent results be achieved with using a toner and developer? Like Miss Clairol and a 10 or 20 vol. developer.

I've already lifted my roots (all 2+ inches of them) using the OTC Clairol Born Blonde kit. But I noticed that since my roots were so long, the hair not closest to the scalp didn't take as quickly. (since not as much heat from my head further down...apparently 2 + inches is a lot) :-) It's very pretty though, a pretty golden color (exactly what I want, and it's golder than the rest of my hair right now). And it's not extremely noticeable so I think this could be easily blended by a toner.

I had my hairdresser do toner "highlights" through a cap before, and I loved the results. I was thinking maybe I could do that again using 2 or 3 different shades of toner + developer. Or maybe foil would be the way to go. But to get the strandy look I want, cap would be better?

I was thinking maybe a combo of 12 G2 (Blondest Gold), 12R3 (Blondest Strawberry), and 71RG (Sunrise Gold).
nursie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nursie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 9:43am
my first disclaimer: im not a hair pro

i took my hair from near platinum over a year ago to multi-toned by using Loreal color gems (from sally's) and just painting different shades on random pieces....when i first started i just painted the strands and let the color develop, but after a couple of times of that i decided to place them in foils and got a much cleaner,defined result.....for me, my natural hair is a dark strawberry blonde (for a long time i didnt know what color i really was!Shocked) so now that i've gotten rid of the bleached look i have fun adding different tones of gold/neutral/ and dark blonde......i also (i think you know!) wear extensions and i usually now have at least four different shades of highlight/lowlight in my hair, i like it that way!
lotta talkin 'bout hair n other stuff: http://www.diyextensions.net/
Quadratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quadratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 10:05am
ah yes, thank you nursie :-) i was at sally's yesterday and was looking at the color gems but wasn't sure about the demi compared to permanent. But after doing some reading, I think demi + 10 vol. might be the way to go, since I only want to do deposit only anyway. (I think they had a 8G and a 10 G if i remember correctly.) 

Hey, you're an extension girl llike me, which one would be a close match to bohyme # 27's gold blonde?
Quadratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quadratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 10:10am
http://www.lorealtechnique.com/gems_03.shtml

I was wrong no 8G, but an 8.3 rather. I'm thinking maybe this or possibly could blend with the 10.3 to get more 9ish.
nursie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nursie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 10:18am
i have the 8.3 and its perfect for matching 27...now you gotta remember how your own starting hair + demiperm color will mix to give a specific shade.....when i started adding lowlights i just went and bought several shades from a 7 reddish to 9G and had a science lab (testing one section at a time first!)
lotta talkin 'bout hair n other stuff: http://www.diyextensions.net/
Quadratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quadratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 11:19am
strand test for sure :-) thank you so much nursie. I'm gonna go play scientist today and do a couple strands and see what will work. And thank you for reccommending the color gems (demi). If it weren't for this board, I'd probably put on another permanent not realizing i could get the same effect with a 10 vol. developer and do less damage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic