Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best highlighting products?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Drazen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drazen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best highlighting products?
    Posted: April 27 2007 at 8:27am
Hi,

My natural hair color is medium-dark brown.  It is wavy, in long layers a few inches past my shoulders.   I have been highlighting my hair for years on and off using over the counter products (Loreal).  The problem that I always run into is the brassiness of the color.  I like the way that I highlight (my aunt was a hair stylist and taught me early on), but am never happy with the color.  To correct this in the past, I have just colored over it with anywhere from a light ash to dark ash blond. 

Thing is, now I do not want to color anymore.  I see women with brown hair with nice pale blond highlights, and I would love to have that as well!

So my goal is to continue to highlight, but eventually have pale blond highlights in with my naturally brown hair. 

Problem is, I can not find a product that gets my highlights blond enough.  I searched online at Sally's website and saw numerous professional products, and solutions of different strengths, and toners to decrease the brassiness that I am contending with right  now.  SO....my questions are:

1.  What would be the best products and solution strength I could use to achieve pale blond highlights on  my naturally brown hair?

2.  What toner would be best for my brassy hair (not quite orange, not quite yellow), blue or violet?  

TIA!Hi,

My natural hair color is medium-dark brown.  It is wavy, in long layers a few inches past my shoulders.   I have been highlighting my hair for years on and off using over the counter products (Loreal).  The problem that I always run into is the brassiness of the color.  I like the way that I highlight (my aunt was a hair stylist and taught me early on), but am never happy with the color.  To correct this in the past, I have just colored over it with anywhere from a light ash to dark ash blond. 

Thing is, now I do not want to color anymore.  I see women with brown hair with nice pale blond highlights, and I would love to have that as well!

So my goal is to continue to highlight, but eventually have pale blond highlights in with my naturally brown hair. 

Problem is, I can not find a product that gets my highlights blond enough.  I searched online at Sally's website and saw numerous professional products, and solutions of different strengths, and toners to decrease the brassiness that I am contending with right  now.  SO....my questions are:

1.  What would be the best products and solution strength I could use to achieve pale blond highlights on  my naturally brown hair?

2.  What toner would be best for my brassy hair (not quite orange, not quite yellow), blue or violet?  

TIA!
manonbly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manonbly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2007 at 2:00pm

Since you are not licensed it is going to be tough for you to find what you want.  May I suggest a softer approach.  Lightening your entire base several levels and then heavily highlighting through that for a pale look.  This is what many celebrities such as Jessica Simpson must endure to get the look I believe you want.  Do not rely on toner to fix any lightener underproforming.  I would not go above a 20 vol- I tend to lift better and more eveningly with 15-20 vol and a little heat.  A blue toner is out of the question for you.  That would mean that you are not lifting out past orange.  If your hair can take it you need to reapply the lightener again with low volume and lift.  Apply toner to test strand to see about your timing.  It is not so much the products that are making the difference here, it is all the application.  Best of luck. 

Award winning stylist based in Manhattan.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 1:58am
Any product that says "Frosting" should get it to a blonde color...However,it could turn out looking bad. On dark brown hair,if not properly done,one can look like a bee (yellow/dark contrast) I have done this myself.
I think trickier blonde highlights are best left to a pro. I give myself red highlights and use color depositing shampoo to defrain from brassiness.You could look into ARTec.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic