Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

African American hair - up dos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
littlemomma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: African American hair - up dos
    Posted: November 04 2007 at 8:21pm
Hello:)  I am new to this forum and am searching for similar answers.   I am a hairstylist but not doing the styling at my bff wedding because I am in the wedding party.  I think these suggestions and responces are so very helpfull and make a big difference on how to look at doing AA hair. I was just wondering since you have been in this same situation if you or anyone else reading this could point me in the right direction as to diffenent suggested styles or updo's for AA hair:)
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2007 at 8:45pm
Here's my three cents: The ladies here have given you some great advice.. But here it is in a nutshell.. It's just hair.. You're not gonna be relaxing it or pressing it... just styling it.. It's likely these girls aren't gonna want you messing with straightening their hair anyway. So that leaves you with styling it.. Styling our hair after it's been freshly washed and straightened is no different than styling Caucasian hair. If the the girls have curly hair, you would style it just like you style curly Caucasian hair. No big mystery at all.. Urbanplan and Kellie7777 both gave you some GREAT information.. Dive in and don't be afraid.. No real mystery to styling black hair..
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
kriticalkare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kriticalkare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2007 at 7:58pm

You state you don't have any experience with AA hair. IMO not only should you do your own personal research try speaking with some experienced stylist and get as much hands on experience as you can before the event.

Good luck!

kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2007 at 10:58pm
Urban gave some great advice.

if i was one of the AA ladies, i would prefer that you ask me ahead of time what i do with my hair and to bring the stuff i like to use in my hair. i would like you to tell me to come with my hair freshly washed. That way it saves time and may also save some frustration. That way when they show up you can decide your next steps. But above all, please speak to those ladies. i would be ticked if you didn't know how to handle my hair and then start doing things that would damage it. You're a stylist - so communicate.
Yep
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06
Urbanplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urbanplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2007 at 12:55pm

Stupid me! I forgot to mention www.naturallycurly.com!

I'm in!
Urbanplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urbanplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2007 at 12:53pm

Styling techniques for Afro-American hair require gentleness and patience. Don't be overwhelmed by the idea of AA hair. A lot of people assume because it is often dense and extremely curly that it is all resilient and must be attacked and conquered all at once and often damage it. Some people have really thick hair strands and some have extremely fine hair. Some people have hair that responds quickly to heat styling and others take a lot of time. AA hair varies as much as anyone else's. Don't get thrown off because of its density. You should find out whether or not these girls have had their hair relaxed, that may (or may not!) make styling faster. I would recommend lower to medium heat settings, but that is only because I personally have fine hair. Talk to them, ask them what works for them, ask them what they want. It is better to ask than to make an irreversible mistake. Hair is hair but different types require different techniques. I think good quality styling products are universal but I don't know too much about them. I have used Fantasia IC's Straigtening Serum for flat-ironing but if anyone doesn't like silicone, I think Mizani probably has a line of good styling products.

I feel bad that there aren't more resources other than these forums and believe me I have searched; they would take away the mystery of AA hair. I find that the ladies on hair forums have given me better advice and service than some stylists I have had!
I'm in!
Sage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 10:58am
I am a stylist who only does hair for weddings/proms etc.  I don't work in a salon, I travel to each location and usually do not know my clients ahead of time.  I am doing a wedding in June that will involve 8 bridesmaids - busy day to say the least:)  I did find out however, that two of the girls are African-American, and unfortunately - I don't have any experience working with African American hair!  So if anybody could please bring me up to speed on the 'standard rules' as far as heat settings, styling tools, styling products, up-dos etc etc go ~ I would greatly greatly appreciate it!  The last thing I want to do is come across as insecure with what I'm doing, or make a detrimental mistake:(  Thank you so much for your help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic