Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
asiabo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asiabo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!
    Posted: May 22 2007 at 12:34am
I'M GOING HOME FOR THE SUMMER AND THE ONLY HAIRDRESSER THERE (SMALL TOWN DON'T LAUGH) HURT HER SHOULDER SO WON'T BE WORKING FOR AWHILE!!

okay sorry i'll stop yelling

anyway, i bleach my hair usually at a salon but WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO THIS SUMMER?!?! i guess i'll ask the lady who does my hair now what she uses and then go to sally's for bleach ang toner and do it myself, with the help of a friend?

does anyone here bleach their own roots?!?!?!
Before/After toning with Wella

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2007 at 7:06am
Asking her what she uses and exactly how she does it (times and such) is a good idea.  She may not want to tell you because then she'll probably lose your business, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
oats42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oats42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 11:15am
I used to bleach my roots. Myself, even the back. What I did is I used the clairol professional line (and some others sometimes, all the professional lines work pretty much the same ). You need to find out what level brown you are and what shade of blonde you are. Once you discover that, you know how many levels you need to get from one to the other and what developer will do this. For example, a 10 developer mostly just deposist color, a 40 developer lightens your hair 3/4 shades (I'm guessing thats the one you'll need) and then you tone it or pick the color to mix it with to get the same shade.

Basically, your lightening and coloring. I used to use miss clairol blonde mixed with a 40 developer to lighten my brown to an ash/white blonde. If you have alot of growth make sure to do your roots last the hair closest to the scalp processes faster because of the heat of your head. If you don't, don't worry about it. If your doing it by yourself (which I don't suggest), you can do the front and back by doing it in sections and with two mirrors or a paneled mirror. For example, do the front in front of the mirror, then let process and wash. Then do the back. Its time consuming this way but its easier to manage by yourself.

Before you go on this adventure, do a strand test. If it turns out horribly wrong....don't do it :) If you do it and its not light enough, you may need to keep it on longer or use a stronger developer. If you do it and its the wrong shade but is light enough you need a different color. If you do it all and it turned out the wrong color you can always tone it, so it matches the rest of your hair better. Never panic just test, and take your time. I have done my hair color to many extremes and have always been ok, because I test and buy backup options....remember for blonde hair its better to be slightly darker then slightly lighter. You can always repeat to make it lighter, you can't repeat to make it darker.

If you can hold off, you can always use baby powder at your roots to blend them, or even use a temporary spray, Jerome Russell makes some temporary spray colors for natural highlights, that you can order online while you wait. You can always wear scarves....:)

Edited by oats42 - May 28 2007 at 11:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic