Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What Is Curly Hair Typing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
carrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Is Curly Hair Typing
    Posted: May 27 2007 at 9:35am
When I first started visiting talk boards and they would talk about their curly hair "types" I was confused.  I didn't want to look like a loser by not knowing what all the different symbols meant so I kept quiet until I figured it out.

Depending on who you talk to, the whole curly "hair typing" movement started with Oprah's hairdresser, Andre Walker, who wrote a best selling book called Andre Talks Hair.  Any self respecting curly haired girl has read this book because it lays out the basics of typing.

Chapter Two of Andre's Book is called To Thine Own Self Be True - Whats Your Type and provides a clear and concise analysis of the different "type" of curls.  Andre divides them up into groupings and they are defined as 2-3 and 4.

Each of the groupings has sub categories.  For example, there is Type 4 hair and there is A and B within the Type 4.

Over the years, various talk forums have come up with their own subcategories and merged them into even more definitive descriptions.

This forum is to talk about hair typing for curly hair and to share your own questions, concerns, opinions and custom typing systems.

There is so much information out there about typing that hopefully we will be able to answer questions for newbies and refine typing to a new art form.
Curly Carrie
Check Out CurlTalk at HairBoutique.com
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by carrie carrie wrote:

There is so much information out there about typing that hopefully we will be able to answer questions for newbies and refine typing to a new art form.

We definitely need to refine hair typing. I bought Andre's book. It was unecessary because everything I needed to know I learned here and on other hair forums for free. Still, it's nice to have.
ALL EYES ON ME
carrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by MSHONEY MSHONEY wrote:

We definitely need to refine hair typing. I bought Andre's book. It was unecessary because everything I needed to know I learned here and on other hair forums for free. Still, it's nice to have.

Hi,

Yes, yes, yes on the refining part. 

I know so many people with curly hair that have multipe "types" of hair and I know there have been lots of info posted about this on the Web.  Please help by sharing anything you have that is new or would help refine.
Curly Carrie
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 5:07pm
 Well one thing I've noticed is that my natural hair seems to change seasonally. When I typed it earlier this spring, it was soft, wavy and curly so I typed it as a 3 a b and c. I had a little bit of everything going onLOL. If I were to type it today in this weather I would type it as a 3c/4a. I still have the curls and waves at the crown but everywhere else it's bushy no matter how much moisture I add to it.
ALL EYES ON ME
carrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 1:16pm

Well one thing I've noticed is that my natural hair seems to change seasonally. When I typed it earlier this spring, it was soft, wavy and curly so I typed it as a 3 a b and c. I had a little bit of everything going onLOL. If I were to type it today in this weather I would type it as a 3c/4a. I still have the curls and waves at the crown but everywhere else it's bushy no matter how much moisture I add to it.

Yes...great point.  Maybe another letter should be added to the 3c/4a for seasons?  I guess that could be a little confusing but I know exactly what you mean.  Every Spring and Fall my hair goes a little insane but settles down and pretty much is 3b/c. 

I appreciate your feedback.  I hope we can figure out a way to indicate hair moods.  :-)
Curly Carrie
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 1:37pm
So, where do we startSmile?
ALL EYES ON ME
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 1:43pm
Maybe listing ALL the typing symbols out there and the definitions for them and refining from there with a less confusing more accurate Type list? Do you want to include all hair types or just curly types?
ALL EYES ON ME
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2007 at 11:14pm

I know so many people with curly hair that have multipe "types" of hair and I know there have been lots of info posted about this on the Web.  Please help by sharing anything you have that is new or would help refine.

Yes!  I have just about everything from 1b-3c!  Different areas on my head are different textures with different amounts of curliness.  I just usually go by what the majority is like.

edited to add:
There are 2 other things besides weather that impact what type the hair appears to be.  The health of the hair is a big issue.  I know that before I got to be a hair "fanatic", my hair was more frizzy and did more of the S-waves instead of curls.  After I got it into much better health and learned how to style it right, the texture and curl type changed quite a bit. 

That brings us to the second point which is styling techniques used.  For instance, if you brush your hair out after washing it, you may think your hair is only wavy or frizzy.  If you let it air-dry without combing or brushing, I promise it will be curlier. 

Edited by hairbraider - June 08 2007 at 11:25pm
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2007 at 12:27am
    I agree totally. When you type your hair it should be after washing with regular shampoo, (not clarifying or any specialty conditioners added) and air drying no conditioner or other products. They can be misleading. 
    The condition of your weather outside and the air in your house is another factor to consider. Is it muggy, humid, damp, dry? Do you need a humidifier or dehumidifier in your home?
    The condition of your water has to be considered also. Is it hard or soft water, well water, heavily chlorinated, full of minerals etc.
   As a matter of fact I think we should come up with a whole cleaning process before typing procedure. This could become very detailed but I thnk we can still keep it simpleSmile
ALL EYES ON ME

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 8:35pm
I like that idea.  I think my hair feels its most natural after a chelating wash and deep conditioning.  (I use baking soda mixed with shampoo, and then mayonaise)
sarah
40 inches
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2007 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by hairbraider hairbraider wrote:

I like that idea.  I think my hair feels its most natural after a chelating wash and deep conditioning.  (I use baking soda mixed with shampoo, and then mayonaise)

Why don't we both come up with a pre-typing routine then compare and refine them whenever we get the chance?
ALL EYES ON ME

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2007 at 1:03am
I'll see what I can put together.  What are your ideas?
sarah
40 inches
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 12:27pm
I am SO sorry that I haven't replied sooner. I haven't written anything down yet. pm me to remind me to do it this week. 
ALL EYES ON ME
suicides_eve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 5:48pm
has anyone read that Curly Girl book by Lorraine Massey? it sounds like it is about the same thing as Ophra's hairdresser's. I am waiting for the library to get my copy transfered over from another branch, they said it was gonna take 10 days!Shocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2007 at 8:05pm

Why don't we both come up with a pre-typing routine then compare and refine them whenever we get the chance?

Something like this:
1. deep cleanse to remove all build-up of products (and/or hard water deposits).  I like to use 1 tsp regular shampoo + 1 tsp baking soda.  Gently but thoroughly massage all through hair and scalp, rinse very thoroughly. 
2. deep condition because you just totally stripped your hair and it's very fragile now.  I like to use a big glob of real mayonaise (not low fat, not miracle whip).  Smear it all through the hair immediately after washing and rinsing, clip it up and wrap the entire scalp area and all hair in plastic wrap or a plastic bag and then wrap a warm towel around it, leave for 30 minutes, rinse with warm water.
3. air dry completely, try not to touch your hair while it's drying.  Do not comb or brush or run fingers through, do not add styling products. 
4. your hair should now be at least very close to it's natural state.
5. if your hair is badly damaged, heavily color treated, or chemically straightened this won't work.  You'll have to work to improve the condition of your hair before you'll be able to see what it's naturally like.
sarah
40 inches
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 8:02pm
Hi! I have curly hair and I have no idea what type it is but I know it's several types all over the place. It's also frizzy. I tried the Noodle Head from Sally's and I must say, it makes a difference for the better! It definitely controls the frizz. It's not a miracle cream but it helps a lot.

On the second day (after I washed my hair) I spray my hair with a water/conditioner mix. That seems to help.

With all that said, my hair has been straight via Yuko for five years and it's finally all grown out. I'm still trying to figure out how to control it but it's been tough. In fact this week I straightened my hair for the first time since Februrary!! and I have to admit, I love it straight. Since I know the flat iron is harsh on my hair I just really want to learn how to wear it curly.

I have fine hair and it's wavy/curly/frizzy. Yum I know.

I'd love to keep this forum active!! Hopefully you guys are still around to chat!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 8:54pm
Welcome, Malibu!  I'm not here alot because my time is limited, but I try to check in now and then.  (you can always find me on the long hair support forum or pm me if you have a specific question for me or something) 

I think the most important thing for having great curls is to have healthy hair.  I know from experience that the healthier it is, the better the curls form, the less it frizzes.  You can read all about my hair routine and products I use and stuff on my site. (link below) 

Do you have a pic of yours?  How long is it?
sarah
40 inches
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 8:13pm
HI Hairbraider! Thanks so much! I am going to check out your site now! You're right, the healthier the hair the less frizz and better curl. I'm trying to keep all heat tools away except for the blow dryer twice a week.

How long is my hair you ask? LOL
I wear extensions so it's fairly long but my own hair comes down to my shoulders.

I'm really interested in changing up my cleansing routine. I use shampoo with sulfates, yay! I feel like that's what gets my hair clean. I wash my hair two times a week. The other days, in the morning I spray my hair with water/conditioner mix.

Thanks for your warm welcome!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2007 at 9:57pm
I haven't had much luck from sulfate-free shampoo either.  I get build-up on my scalp really bad.  I mainly use regular shampoo on my scalp and organic shampoo on the length so it's not so drying.
sarah
40 inches
Aloloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 5:02pm
So, what is curly  hair typing? People keep saying that they're 3c's or 2a's, but what does that mean?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic