Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Type 4: Kinky Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
carrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Type 4: Kinky Hair
    Posted: May 27 2007 at 10:27am
According to Andre Walker, if you hair is Type 4 hair, it is kinky or tightly curled.

Many people do not realize how very fragile that Type 4 hair can be. 

Type 4 hair is fragile because of its cuticle structure.  Unlike other curly hair, Type 4 hair generally has fewer layers of cuticles that help protect that hair from the environment and everyday care routines and tools.

Type 4 hair is usually wiry, very tightly coiled and has an appearance of coarseness which is linked to the wiriness of the hair.  In reality, Type 4 hair tends to be very fine and soft to the touch and their tends to be a lot of hair or volume intensity. 

Type 4 hair can range from the extremes of fine and thin texture to wiry and coarse texture.  As a rule, this type of curly hair is tightly packed and provides the appearance of thicker hair.  However, it reality, it is fragile hair. 

Because of the shape of the hair, it has a hard time achieving maximum shine although it can feel very soft and achieve a low shimmer.

Type 4 hair is most prone to breakage of all curly hair types.  This is true when treated with chemicals such as color, relaxers or straighteners.  As a result of the potential damage that can occur with Type 4 hair (even brushing, combing and hot styling can cause damage) Type 4 hair is not known for its ability to grow long unless worn in braids or other hairstyles (dreads) that allow the hair to grow without damage.

Andre Walker divided Type 4 hair into two subcategories which includes:

Type 4A

Type 4A was defined as tightly coiled hair with a hidden S pattern that could only be viewed when the hair is stretched out.  Type 4A has a more definite and visible curl pattern than Type 4B and can range from loosely curled to springy coils.

Type 4B

Type 4B was defined as have a Z shape or pattern but has a less well defined curl shape.  Type 4B is considered to have a more wiry texture than 4A and requires the most additional moisture.  4b hair has a tighter wave pattern and kinks of various size.  This type of curl pattern can sometimes have a cotton feel.  Shine is harder to achieve with Type 4B hair although it can have a shimmer or sheen to it. 

Curly Carrie
Check Out CurlTalk at HairBoutique.com
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 4:57pm
My hair is always type 4. not kinky but KANkY
and I love it!!!Clap
marydwaters111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marydwaters111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 11:10am
Hello,

I am having trouble deciding which hair type I am.  Could someone maybe give examples of celebrities with each type or maybe post pics?  I haven't gone a day without product in my hair for probably 10 years!  I don't really know what it would even look like- I just know it would be very bad!  Thanks for the help!

Mary
carrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 5:46pm
OK...good idea.  I will work on this.

Sometimes it is possible to have more than one type at the same time but it is good to have some good examples.
Curly Carrie
Check Out CurlTalk at HairBoutique.com
BABYGIRL718 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BABYGIRL718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 7:15am
Hi, I am a newbie.  I will post some pics to let you all see my hair.  And maybe you can tell me what hair type I am.
antoinette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antoinette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2008 at 9:21pm
I have type 4 hair and I hate it! I want to go natural but its hard to put a comb through it! I am on the virge of slapping a relaxer in in and keep it moving!
www.myspace.com/netteo81
www.fotki.com/ifeyini
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic