Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Solia vs Sedu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sarahsolen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahsolen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solia vs Sedu
    Posted: May 28 2007 at 11:48am
Okay, so after reading the reviews, I think I'd like to either get a Solia or Sedu. Could anyone tell me why the Sedu is $50 or so more? I'm okay to put the money out for the Sedu, but if the Solia is just as good then why spend extra? My hair has enough wave in it that it has to be straightened or curled to look good. I lost most of my curl after my last pregnancy.

Thanks,

Sarah
SilkStrands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilkStrands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 10:51am
I have the Solia, and I am 100% satisfied with it.

I can't say I've tried the Sedu, but from reviews I read, it's not much better than Solia anyhow.

The Solia is awesome. I don't even put it on the highest setting, you probably won't either being that it sounds like we have similar hair. Solia never snags or pulls my hair, its always smooth and my hair comes out SHINY as hell and beautifully straight.

I've tried the Chi however, and I don't like it at all. That is what my stylist uses. it makes my hair straight, yes, but dull and damaged-looking.

So basically, yeah.... get the Solia.

And no, i don't work for them. just a satisfied customer. Big%20smile
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 10:54am
There are several possibilities why Sedu costs more than Solia.  One main reason is marketing related.  Sedu has put a lot of time and energy into building their brand and as a result, they are considered leaders in the hot iron field.  To underline their top of the line product they will charge more.

On the flip side it could be that Solia is trying to compete in Sedu's market and thus is offering a better price to "beat the competition" and seduce some potential buyers away from Sedu.

Yes of course there are differences but what matters to one user may not matter at all to someone else.  Some people can't live without voice mail and other people don't need it or want it.  The same is true with Sedu vs Solia.

There is always trade offs when buying anything from hot irons to shampoo products.  You do get what you pay for but more importantly every consumer has to evaluate what is important to them and whether they are willing to pay for the "extras" or not.

Hope that helps.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
digitaldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitaldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 12:55pm
I'm currently using the CHI after using my Helen of Troy until it died. I'd like to maybe try the Solia, but there are a plethora of versions out there. Which one is which?
AS OF 5/25/2007
4A
10 1/2' in the top
10 on the sides
3 1/2 in the back

GOAL
BSL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilkStrands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2007 at 8:48am
Digitaldiva:

This is the Solia I have, it's friggin awesome.

You may do better with a smaller one like the 3/4" because you have shorter hair.. mine is 1 1/4" but my hair is below my shoulders...

They have a lot of reviews from girls with your hair type 4a that you can read for yourself, but trust me.. I did my research before buying this one, and I am completely in love with this iron. It doesn't scorch my hair like the CHI does. I hate the Chi personally.. my stylist uses it and I cringe every time she pulls it through my hair because it snags and I hear that crunchy noise and I'm like "OK STOP! Let me just go home and use my own Solia, its much better!" Wacko

Highly recommend it.

Edited by SilkStrands - June 01 2007 at 8:49am
Jessica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2007 at 8:55am
Thanks for the info SilkStrands.

Do you know anywhere else I can buy a Solia?  I have had some bad experiences with Folica and would prefer not to buy it there.  Can you get the Solia at Ulta or someplace similar?

Thanks.

PS.  Also, have you tried anything from Conair?  They have some irons that are supposed to be similar.

Edited by Jessica - June 01 2007 at 8:56am
digitaldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitaldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2007 at 9:34am
I will definitely try it out. I'm trying not to put much heat on my hair since I'm trying to grow it out.  I'm trying to keep it as healthy as possible. So, if these don't cause as much damage I'd like to try it out.

does your hair look good after your stylist uses the Chi? Smile
AS OF 5/25/2007
4A
10 1/2' in the top
10 on the sides
3 1/2 in the back

GOAL
BSL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilkStrands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2007 at 10:19am
^it looks alright.  it gets it straight, but it looks dull, not shiny. I feel like its doing more damage than good.

solia has the tourmaline/ions so it's gentler heat, like infra-red that goes deeper into the hair  instead of just frying the outer layer.

Jessica: what happened with folica? Ive had nothing but good experiences with them..  but here is the Solia site, under the category "where to buy".

(edit: i guess it would help to actually post the link.. lol)

It lists Amazon, but when you go there, it says that its not available.  It also mentions salons, but I've never seen one in a salon, they mostly use CHIs (Confused)

Edited by SilkStrands - June 01 2007 at 10:29am
HoneyCaramel_12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneyCaramel_12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 2:56am
Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

On the flip side it could be that Solia is trying to compete in Sedu's market and thus is offering a better price to "beat the competition" and seduce some potential buyers away from Sedu.

Well, if that was Solia's plan, it worked on me. I remember having this same delima about 3 or 4 years ago and decided on the Solia only because it was a few bucks cheaper.  They both seem to do the same thing, provide the same end results and work really well, but the Sedu was over $100. I think I paid about $80 for the Solia, and from what I've read and heard, there's not much difference between the two, so I think I made the right choice. Clap Big%20smile
kelleyh2007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelleyh2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2007 at 7:49pm
Sarah Solia and Sedu are owned by the same company American beauty Supply, the irons very good, but pricey. I found an iron that is just as good with half the price, it is called PHI. They were only available at salons until recently and now they are available online at http://www.phibeauty.com  I highly recommend you check them out first, save yourself the money. They have all the same features as the Solia just with half the price....good luck!!!
bigb00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigb00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2010 at 5:37pm
I was really disappointed in my solia- Pulled my hair & made it dull and dead looking vs. silky and shiney and healthy looking. I ended up going back to my medicure old iron until I can decide what new iron to buy :S
jennykang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennykang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 7:00pm
I highly recommend Sedu Revolution
imane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2014 at 7:04am
Sedu hair products are hard to beat but they're quite expensive

Edited by Karen Shelton - September 09 2014 at 1:34pm

erinlk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erinlk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 11:21am
After using many high end brands, I have to say the absolute worst flat iron I have come across yet is the Karmin Salon Pro Styling Iron

It NEVER straightens my daughters very curly, coarse hair.

Do NOT buy any Karim Hair Products.

Edited by Karen Shelton - September 09 2014 at 12:58pm
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 1:03pm
According to what we have been told, Karmin paid for posters on 5R to post advertisements about Karmin product on the HairTalk forum as well as several other hair forums.

We are deleting and blocking all of their advertisements.  Please let the HairTalk admin know if you find any Karmin posts so we immediately delete them and block the Karmin posters.

Thanks for your help in advance in stopping any Karim advertisements for being posted on HairTalk. 

Karen

Edited by Karen Shelton - September 09 2014 at 1:27pm
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
PhyllisJ8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhyllisJ8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 9:17am
Karmin is my preference! Clap
Living La vida Loca!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic