Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to dye brown roots to match blond hair??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chelsea2436 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelsea2436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to dye brown roots to match blond hair??
    Posted: May 30 2007 at 3:21pm
I am in need of some advice. I want to dye my hair at home, but the problem is..is that my roots have grown out and there is about 3 inches of dark brown on the crown and the rest is a highlighted blond. My hair is long and is comes to my chest. I want to keep my hair blond.....so what is the best way to get an even color???

Edited by chelsea2436 - May 30 2007 at 3:21pm
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 5:08pm
You'd be best foiling in some highlights with bleach and then toning them.  It's hard to say what color to bleach your new growth to since I've no idea what blonde your hair is now.  Usually, highlights are bleached to pale yellow--then they can be toned.  If you decide to do it yourself, use bleach as nothing else will get your dark brown hair blonde.  Single process color will produce orange...

Good luck!

Rebekah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelsea2436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2007 at 6:11pm
I don't think that I can foil them myself. My hair is a dishwater blond naturally, and the ends are more yellow and brassy now. Could you elaborate more on the toning? I've beard of it but not sure what to do. I'd rather not bleach my whole head, I don't like that look too much....what about if I stripped the color and started over? What condition would my hair be in then???
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2007 at 5:29pm
Well toning won't work on the roots, but would help the ends.  Sally Beauty has some toners Born Blonde that you can try.  You'll have to bleach the roots to get the same color as the ends though. 

Good luck!

Rebekah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelsea2436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2007 at 6:33pm
Thanks for the tip!
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 11:59am
Either go get them done prof. first before you try doing yourself to even out the color.
I do my own roots, I have dark brown hair and am light blonde now and I usually dye my roots once they get dark enough to notice. It's a hard feat to do your color yourself, Speically with roots. They always tend to come out a diffrent color than your ends.
~* Bambi Lee *~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelsea2436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2007 at 12:14pm
I really hate to get them done prof, I would like to save up some money.I was going to try the Loreal Experte. I don't know if you are familiar with that product, but you die your hair one color then put in the streaks on while your hair is wet with a brush yourself. Any thoughts???
hunnyswifey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunnyswifey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2007 at 1:37am
don't do it with a box kit...go to sallys get the manic panic flash lightener..put that on roots....put vaseline where you don't want the color to go to...or get 30 volume and an activator...see what it comes to before you purchase toner...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelsea2436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2007 at 2:15pm
My whole head needs done now. I just want to start fresh. If I go to Sally's will the people that work there help me? I don't know exactly what I am doing.
hunnyswifey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunnyswifey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2007 at 9:36pm
they will help you...but they are not professional...they have given me bad advice twice...two times i listened to them and i was sorry...i even went to school for this....(didn't finish yet in process of transferring to new school)....and even i am confused about color...sometimes its just trial and error...i really heard good stuff about the manic panic stuff....white snow and flash lightener...you can also do this in stages...go blonder slightly until you achieve the desired look...remember that your roots will change the fastest..and the ends are usually porous..thats why it helps to have someone there who can put this on as a virgin application...meaning the coldest part of the hair shaft 1/4 from regrowth and 1/4 from ends..let it process to orange and then roots and ends....i hope this helps you out
Sherrybaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherrybaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 5:47am
Chelsea,

Did you work out your hair problem?  I used Born Blonde Maxi on my roots - it almost got there but I rinsed it out to soon - now I have to do it again and then I plan on putting a semi permanant blonde color to even out all my color.  From what I read, a strand test should be done before you do the all over color to see how long to leave on the color.  One gal left on a champagne blonde for 30 minutes and was orange - she rebleached and put the color on again for 5 minutes and it worked.  This is hard stuff ... I live in a very rural community and a good hairdresser is hard to find.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelsea2436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 12:05pm
I am going to figure it out this weekend b/c I have an upcoming weeking on next Saturday. I am not sure what I am going to do yet. I would like to try an all over color to balance it out then put highlights over it. Not sure yet.
Sherrybaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherrybaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2007 at 6:19am
I ended up at a hair salon - my second attempt did not work.  The Born Blonde Maxi brought me down to a yellow blonde - I didn't like it - I could have probably left it on longer and it would have taken out the roots to a pale yellow.  I went to see my hairdresser to have her even things out.  It's much easier to fix a blonde gone wrong.  She put a semi permanent medium ash on my roots and then used a light ash throughout the rest of my hair.  I'm still brighter than I want to be and I'm seeing her again on Monday.  I think then we will go with a dark blonde on the roots and do a reverse frost of dark blonde through my hair to try to make it look a little more natural.  What a mess ... I think from now on I'll leave it up to the hairdresser.  My hair is very dry now and I'm deep conditioning twice a day.

Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic