Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dehydrated nails?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dehydrated nails?
    Posted: June 08 2007 at 7:56am
So I've been trying to find a great no chip polish lately because I french manicure my nails weekly.  I ran across one by OPI called chip skip.  I did a little research on it and apparently you use it as a base coat and it sucks all the moisture out of your nails so that the polish will stay put.  Now maybe I'm off... but I thought your nails needed moisture or they would break right off?  They need strengthener polishes AS WELL AS moisturizing creame for your cuticles.  Would the OPI Chip Skip be defeating the purpose of getting long beautiful nails?  Sure your nail polish would stay on.... but if your nails kept breaking it wouldn't be worth it!  What do you all think?

Thanks Star
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
SeaSiren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSiren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2007 at 10:47pm
No, I would not use chip skip.  My nails are strong but split and crack since I got psorasis from medication.  I've tried a lot of different strengthing base coats and never thought to read the fine print.  I drink tons of water and moisture is good for the whole body. 
Thanks for the info about dehydration. Ying%20Yang

Edited by SeaSiren - June 08 2007 at 10:49pm
She Creatures Unite......
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2007 at 12:44pm
Thanks for your reply seasiren.

Has anyone actually USED chip skip that could tell me if they liked it or not?
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 4:52pm
I just love Sally Hensen products, have you looked into any of her products to solve the issue?
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 5:22pm

I put a stengthener on over the polish. this helps a lot with any wear and tear, or chipping. And it helps put shine back on after time has worn it away some.
 Also, I have found that they cheaper they brand, the easier it will chip/ I have had some that peel off later the same day.Confused
I have never tried the item you are talking about, but I love opi, and use many of their products. Have you tried doing a search fo reviews online? I do this when I am curious about a specific item.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
BarbieSutton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbieSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 1:48pm
I have used Chip Skip and between it, a good base coat, a thin coat of color and a top coat, my manicure will last a week.  However, I do have periods where my nails seem extremely dry and they flake.  So I now slather on as much oil/moisturizer/hand cream as possible which seems to help.  Since it is summer, I think I have made the problem worse by going in the pool which is drying to nails, skin and hair as well. 

One thing I know for sure, polish will not stay on an oily surface, so making sure you start the manicure oil free is essential.  I have even found that certain hand creams supermoisturize and form a "glove" of moisture which stays on nails and can effect the staying power of the manicure unless it is removed.  I wonder if someting more natural, such as vinegar would work to remove oils pre-mainicure, and then, once everything is dry, you go crazy with the lotions to keep your nails in shape.  Just a thought.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic