Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help my hair!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Msl8y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Msl8y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help my hair!
    Posted: June 16 2007 at 6:06pm
i need help! i love my curls but I also like my hair when it is staight. It's just that after i straighten it feel's very dry. Is there anything anyone can say to help me out because I want to keep my hair health and it still be cute? LOL!  So like i said I need some serious help in keeping my hair healthy and not dry it out.  
<*>I'm so glad it's back!<*>
Shanarana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shanarana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 8:23am
Every once in a while I will straighten my hair, not to often as I know it does dry it out a lot.  If I do straighten it, I uses hair creams to smooth over it and it seems to keep fly aways at bay.

Hope that helps.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 1:21am
Originally posted by Msl8y Msl8y wrote:

i need help! i love my curls but I also like my hair when it is staight. It's just that after i straighten it feel's very dry. Is there anything anyone can say to help me out because I want to keep my hair health and it still be cute? LOL!  So like i said I need some serious help in keeping my hair healthy and not dry it out.  

It's always nice to have options whether you embrace your curls or go straight from time to time.  The key is to give your hair a rest in between straightening it.

Some things to consider to avoid dryness:

1.  Consider diluting your shampoo, washing with conditioner only (CO) or washing with water only (WO).  When possible avoid using an undiluted shampoo method or washing too often since these will dry out your delicate hair (curly hair is more fragile than other types of hair because of the way its shape is).

Remember to always wash and rinse hair in lukewarm NOT hot water.  Hot water dries out delicate strands.

2.  Use a rinse out conditioner when you wash and espeically when you are going to blow dry.

3.  Finish your wash with a cool/cold water rinse.

4.  Towel blot your hair - don't rub - to remove excess moisture.

5.  Detangle gently from the ends up in preparation for blow drying straight.  Use a good leave-in moisturizing conditioner or a c*cktail of leave-in mixed with a good defrisant product.  Experiment with a variety of options.  You might try mixing a cream leave-in with a dab of cream defrisant.  Or layer products such as using a liquid moisturizing detangler and then apply a good defrisant product after the detangler.

You can also experiement with thermal heat protectors.

6.  Separate hair into desired sections and blow dry using either a round boar's bristle brush or flat paddle brush.  Use blow dryer on a cool setting if available.  This prevents the heat from drying out your hair. 

7.  When you have completely dried a section straight, wrap the dried section on a very large roller and let the hair cool down.  This helps hold in moisture and sets the hair.  Be sure and use very large rollers to prevent adding waves.

8.  If you wish to use a straightening iron use it sparingly and only for quick touch ups.  When curly hair is subjected to hot blow dryers and hot straight irons at the same time, it will really dry out the hair. 

Also, avoid using the hot tools on the ends as much as possible.  This can cause breakage.

Only blow dry and staighten for special events if possible.  This protects hair from becoming damaged and dry.

Other options include doing a pre-treatment oil treatment and using a light silicone or hair cream and lightly swiping over your straightened hair.

Hope that helps.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Msl8y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Msl8y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 8:59pm
Thank's so much. Well, I have wanted about two months since I last flat ironed my hair, while useing a light water based leave in conditioner because I had noticed some breakage. It seem's to be alot healther than it was so tonight I used a oil sheen spray with shea butter in it so that it wouldn't be so dry. It seems sto have worked well.....for now. but only time will tell. i went CO about 6 months ago and I love it. If I have to use a shampoo (like after I play in chlorinated water) I use a very small bit of shampoo, but only if i feel it is necessary. It's be doin great. And I appreciate the advise it help me to know what else I could use to make it not so frizzy and have as many fly away's.
              Thank's
<*>I'm so glad it's back!<*>
bbsbeauty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbsbeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 10:06am
Try use Deva Curl, good product from www.devaconcepts.com
keewing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keewing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 9:49am
My hair tends to be dry so when I straighten it I used a serum that is silicon based and it works great!  It makes straightening much easier (because my hair is straighter after blowdrying that it otherwise would be)and leaves my hair feeling soft and shiny!  It also protects against heat damage.  Hope this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic