Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chemical Alopecia?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jaydee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaydee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chemical Alopecia?
    Posted: June 23 2007 at 8:48pm
I started losing chunks and chunks of hairs after going for a Japanese Hair straightening. It has been 4 months now and I still keep on shedding so much. My hair has thinned drastically.

My hairdresser said that if it was the treatment, it should have been sudden and quick and the loss will not last this long. Is she right?

I already have thinned/balding spots.

I am also dealing with bad breakage. My hair breaks off 2-3 inchess from the roots. So those that don't shed, break. It's crazy.

Any thoughts?

Thank you so much!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 8:02am
I am not familiar with this technique enough to be able to answer your question. I can tell you that when I dyed my hair, I shed a lot, and when I stopped, I stopped shedding.  I do not know if this straightening damages the root enough to keep it falling out, maybe it does.

I would call a dermatologist who specializes in hair loss and see if the receptionist would ask the doctor that question for you and let you know the answer.  (You may not be able to get them to do that without making an appointment, but if you tell them you're trying to decide if you want to make an appointment, they may be willing to go that extra step and ask the doc for you...then you can tell them you want to think about it and end the phone call.  Then you will have time to decide if you want to make an appointment or not, depending on the answer).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic