Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vegetarian - anyone here veggie?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vegetarian - anyone here veggie?
    Posted: June 26 2007 at 10:09am
~sorry I added a response to such an old post.  I stumbled upon the guidelines last night and actually read them.  there was a part in there about starting a new post when a post was older then a month~

*here it goes*

I have been trying to become a vegetarian for a while.  I have little to no willpower.  I am trying to eat more veggies and fruit.  back in March I discovered Spicy Black Bean burgers.  I am in love.  I could eat them every day.  I also have discovered kidney beans and black beans.  I usually open a can of either bean (or mix them together) add a can of chili tomatoes and lots of Frank's Red Hot.  it's yummy
Jessica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 10:53pm

Congrats on your journey.  I have been a vegetarian off and on for years.  I do it for awhile and then fall off.  Then I try again.  I know it is best for my health but I also gain weight easily and found that I tend to eat more carbs when I am doing the vegetarian food plan.

One thing I will tell you, Houston's restaurants make a killer veggie burger.  It is made fresh daily and is truly orgasmic.  I am not sure all the cities that have Houstons but they are in Dallas and I believe in Atlanta and Los Angeles.  They own another chain but not sure if they have the veggie burger.  It is 100% vegetarian and made with beans and grains.

Yummy!
amanda_m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amanda_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2007 at 3:10am
I have been a veagn (no dairy or egss in addition to no meat) for 12 years. I quit cold turkey and never went back.  Some people say that it's hard- but I guess it depends on your motivation: animals, health, ect. There is a video called "Meet Your Meat"... I know you can get it from PETA, I don't know where else you can get it from. Once you watch it- trust me- you won't ever want to eat meat again. Dead Plus, I have noticed in the last few years sooo many resturaunts offer at least a few vegetarian dishes, and even if they don't you can be creative and order something without the meat. I hate cooking, but there is so much out there at the grocery store that I can just throw together, that being a vegan isn't any more difficult than eating a regular meal.
Cherryblsmgrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherryblsmgrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2007 at 12:07pm
I'm a vegetarian. My journey was a slow one. I stopped eating beef and pork products years ago simply because I didn't like the taste and they often upset my stomach. For a long time I ate poultry but I final gave that up as well.

I love Morningstar products. They offer everything from the standard veggie burger to meatless bacon. I try to keep a good amount of protein in my diet (eggs, almonds, tofu, beans, etc.) and I take a B6/B12 daily to supplement what my body is missing from animal products.
Follow Your Bliss
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2007 at 11:16am
my husband suffers from chronic kidney stones.  he has passed over 100 stones in the past year a half.  we stared seeing a new doctor who recommends natural remedies and an almost vegetarian diet.  the doctor has recomended a wheat, gluton (sp) and meat free diet.  he has told us fish is ok to eat.  no chicken, beef and pork.  lots of fruit, raw veggies and stir-frys.  I know it's going to be rough to transition to this diet but if it helps, I'm all for it.  I've been doing my best to eat better and according to the scale I've lost almost ten pounds

I was also wondering about (hopefully I'm not getting too personal here) colon cleanse stuff.  I've wondered if this is a good way to start fresh.  clean everything out and eat the veggies and fruit - kinda like a new beginning if you will.  the doctor we go to has a few of the colon cleanse products and I was wondering if it's worth it to try?
I am at 32"
~goal length 36"
amanda_m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amanda_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2007 at 2:13pm
Lickalime-

That is so interesting you posted that. Let me tell you my story- I chose to become vegan at the age of 14. I had no problems at all finding lots of things to eat and didn't miss meat at all. When I was 20, my dad was diagnosed with celiac's disease. They told him it was hereditary, and my sis and I got tested and the results came back positive. Basically, celiac's disease is where your body's digestive tract cannot process gluten well and it can cause a whole host of stomach/ intestinal problems. The solution is cutting out gluten from your diet. For my dad and sis- it wasnt too hard- they still ate meat! But for me, it was really  hard to cut out breads and pastas that I lived off for so long....

Anyway, the fact that you are loading up on fruits and veggies is great. If you want to experiment, there are lots of gluten free items out there (most taste like crap- I won't lie haha) but, I buy gluten free pasta made from rice sometimes, and if you are a decent baker, there are lots of recipies using rice flour for biscuits and breads, brownies, and such... but it takes alot of experiementing to get it just right. I don't know where you live, but Kroger Signature stores carry tons of gluten free foods in the health food section, and so do Whole Foods.

I hate cooking, so I am not as good as you are about cooking up veggies everyday. But, I was just letting you know I am in the same boat and it takes a while to get used to cutting out whold food groups and not getting bored everyday with what you eat. As for the cleansing stuff- I have no idea. I believe that once your body is free of gluten, your system gets itself back in check. It takes a month or two I think. The colin cleaning stuff may speed up the process, but drinking lots of water and green tea is probably almost as good. 
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2007 at 10:47am
awesome!  thanks for your story.  I live in the Detroit area.  since all (or most) of our grocery stores up here were just bought out by Kroger, it shouldn't be too hard to find a Kroger Signature and we do live right by a Whole Foods

I'm really lucky my husband and I both like to cook and I am a big fan of baking.  thanks so much for the info.  thanks to for letting me know gluton is spelled gluten Embarrassed
I am at 32"
~goal length 36"
amanda_m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amanda_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2007 at 3:53pm
Oh good, you should be able to find some good stuff. I usually go to Kroger and get what I need- but Whole Foods has some great gluten free stuff when I get a chance to go out there. I don't know about the one where you are- but here in Houston we have a few Whole Foods that bake gluten free goodies once a week (I love the pizza crust-- I make veggie pizzas with no cheese, and muffins, and sandwich bread- I make hummus and veggie sandwiches)... you can also order things like that online. It sounds like you guys are eating much more natural and raw foods than me (I'm lazy)- but I miss my grains sometimes! So gluten free breads and pastas are a blessing to me.  They dont tasts quite the same- but hey-- we can't be too picky when we're "gluten free" haha.  I even made my dad a gluten free apple pie for Father's Day and it was actually really really good. I don't know how sensitive your husband is to gluten- but you may want to check out this link: http://www.e-celiacs.org/2-Gluten-Free%20Prescription%20Diet.htm
It lists everything that is gluten free- and mentions alot of foods that gluten is hidden in that you wouldnt think!
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2007 at 7:37am
I am Vegan
no animals
no eggs
no dairy
or derivitives.

no leather (still working on that one) so many house hold products use animal to create/ manufacture.......I have to say that is the most challenging part of being Vegan.....So, with that issue I really do the very best that I can, but I'm not perfect on that issue.

I  had to take psyllium powder into my body and it was because  I needed the starch to move.
I LOVE that stuff, not to gross you out but the result it has on your colon is wonderful.
Fluffy, odorless, awesome.
Chels=) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chels=) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 10:23pm
Psyllium powder is GREAT!  I started taking it daily as part of a one month cleanse and have continued it as a part of my daily nutrition regimen... As for being veggie, I sort of became so without trying... during the cleanse it was reccommended to stay away from it (which at first was difficult because I come from a family that's big on any type of meat) and I just dsort of lost my taste/cravings for it.. it was more of a health choice than anything... I love to cook and I'm addicted to allrecipes.com and they have a ton of great veggie-friendly recipes =)
Chels =)
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 6:34am
powdered psyllium =no/low odor fluffy stools.
Vegan for 1.5 yrs now.
think_tom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote think_tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 4:02am
It is so easy to find products that use soy instead of meat, imo getting easier every year. I think that if carnivores were introduced to some of these products, they would be blown away. You don't sacrifice taste, and as more and more people become vegetarians/vegans, the price is definitely trending down, which is great.
think_tom neolight hair
roxferdmeccos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxferdmeccos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 2:10pm
I am a vegetarian. I like to eat vegetables, cereals and fruits. It is good for health. Most of the health benefits of vegetarian is reduced risk of myocardial infarction. It is antioxidant. Vegan diets go far in preventing heart attack and stroke. Greens leafs like carrots can help prevent the onset of age-related macular degeneration.
AlexisJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexisJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2011 at 10:14pm
I love black beans! especially on salads. Spicy Black Bean Burgers sounds like the best things since pizza. Where do get these at (or do you make them)?

I became somewhat a vegetarian by accident and it really does feel better to not eat meat.

Will definitely try the beans and tomato mix.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic