Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I made a BIG mistake!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
femmemuscle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I made a BIG mistake!
    Posted: July 13 2007 at 12:31am
i second that!!CoolLOL
some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by tiajanice tiajanice wrote:

Lol...DivaVocals, You know you are not right! Wink
LOLLOLLOL Just trying to help!!! LOLLOLLOL
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
tiajanice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiajanice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 9:39pm
Lol...DivaVocals, You know you are not right! Wink

Femme, I read your post and laughed so loud, I'm glad my husband wasn't around, he'd think I was crazy! (Ok, so he ALREADY thinks that!)

I did buy some flexi rollers, but I have to return them, I think they were WAY too big for my head...I couldn't get them to stay in... Ok, nevermind...

By the way, my new stylist called me today to ask how my hair was and if I was still experiencing breakage...I was surprised and impressed to hear from her!  I am going back this Fri for a deep Protein treatment to try to stop the shedding.   I think I'll go to her more often to start with, and when I know for sure my hair is not breaking off/shedding anymore, I'll try to do more at home. 
Hair type: 4a Relaxed
Current Length: Chin
Hair Goal: Mid Back
http://public.fotki.com/tiajanice/   Password : haircrazy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 1:59am

You guys are killing me... I am going to have to take my PJ self to Sally's and get lost in there!

I tried some paul mitchell texture and shine gel, it had good control, but it still feels crunchy back there.  I think I will try looking for the large perm rods you mentioned, DivaVocals, cause I have bought and thrown away TOO MANY magnetic rollers over the years!  By the way anybody know what those stretchy thingies are called? 
I just looked at my post.. and had to edit it.. The magnetic rollers with the clamps don't slip and fall, and for those (like me) who have no skillz with the duck bill clips, they are the TRUTH!!

I like the permrods, but I'm still working on my skillz with the end papers before I start using thes regularly.. So Tiajanice, go on over to Sally's and SPEND THAT MONEY girl!!!Evil%20Smile
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 11:01pm

don't know what the "stretchie thingies" are, but i'm sure they will know at the Beauty Supply Store, hell African americans aren't the only ones that use "stretchie thingies", i'm sure..

"stretchie thingies.."LOL  what ever you ladies do? don't go up to a guy and ask them about a "stretchie thingie"..they just might get the wrong idea..

i used the snap curlers a few times, and really liked them..i'm in love with a new type of roller..the flexirod..those things are great..you don't even need "end wraps" or papers  on these puppies..

they are basically made for spiral sets, and you can sleep on them, they are soft..

Talking about all these "stretchie thingies, and flexirods" makes wonder if i should open up either a gadget shop, or a adult toy store..Confused

hope you find out what those thingies are called, and good luck at the BSS..please try to restrain that product junkie!!Embarrassed

Edited by femmemuscle - July 10 2007 at 11:03pm
tiajanice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiajanice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 6:18pm
You guys are killing me... I am going to have to take my PJ self to Sally's and get lost in there!

I tried some paul mitchell texture and shine gel, it had good control, but it still feels crunchy back there.  I think I will try looking for the large perm rods you mentioned, DivaVocals, cause I have bought and thrown away TOO MANY magnetic rollers over the years!  By the way anybody know what those stretchy thingies are called? 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 9:59pm

Originally posted by femmemuscle femmemuscle wrote:

I'm too, suck when it comes to roller sets...taking on a roller wrap would put me over the edge...i tried it once..and was so frustrated!  the rollers were slippery, my hands were slippery, and Walmart sold the roller set with very small "1/2 duck bill hair pins" in the package..my arms felt like they would fall off...and right when i thought i had the roller  pinned in place..it would slowly unravel, slide out of the hair, hit me in the shoulder, then, hit the floor..

Hey Femme, I have two suggestions that might make rollersets easier..

1. Try the snap on magnetic rollers.. These things are the BOMB.. I can't get duck bill pins to work either, but with these babies, I can roller set and the rollers stay put til I take 'em out.. Sally's or most of the larger BSS's and drugstores carry these.. http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/2210/292644

2. If you can work with end papers try using perm rods for wetsetting.. My stylist uses the large perm rods when I get a wetset at the salon.. These puppies stay put too..

Edited by Divavocals - July 11 2007 at 1:52am

digitaldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitaldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 9:51pm
Thanks hun! You're going to have to train your hair to lay down in the back. It's not going to do it on it's on or just from one time. You need to tie it down every night so that it can get used to being tied down. I like JAM because it doesn't contain alcohol. Wax can get a little cakey. Sebastian Molding mud is good as well. They sell these products at Publix or any other store.

When you dry the back at home sit under a hooded dryer with the stretchy thing on there. Also get a rat tailed comb from one of the beauty supply. You want it to dry quick. If it doesn't it's going to start curling up and we want it to be straight and slick right?! :-)

Oooh! I did my first roller wrap tonight! I will post photos later. It looks decent, but I'm sure it's just going to get betta! Wish me luck!

Femme I'm going to tell my sister about the baggie method. She has natural hair.

Ciao! 

Edited by digitaldiva - July 09 2007 at 9:51pm
AS OF 5/25/2007
4A
10 1/2' in the top
10 on the sides
3 1/2 in the back

GOAL
BSL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 5:45pm
i'm going for 20" myself, diva, it seems a long way away, but many women have gone there, and so can we!!!

Paris Hilton just did an "instant" 20" when she got out of jail..her beautician was waiting to receive her at her home ready to put them in...

you know what? i knew the streets weren't safe when Martha Stewart got out of jail..now Paris..with extensions, no doubt!!Wacko

I'm too, suck when it comes to roller sets...taking on a roller wrap would put me over the edge...i tried it once..and was so frustrated!  the rollers were slippery, my hands were slippery, and Walmart sold the roller set with very small "1/2 duck bill hair pins" in the package..my arms felt like they would fall off...and right when i thought i had the roller  pinned in place..it would slowly unravel, slide out of the hair, hit me in the shoulder, then, hit the floor..

Beeswax sounds natural enough, a lot of folks use it on their locs...some folks say it doesn't work well..head over to the "locs" forum on Blackhairmedia...I do know that Carol's Daughter uses Beeswax for a styling wax..it's better than gel..or better yet, call up your beautician and ask her for a recommendation!  there are so many products out there..

I do an "air dry" on my hair because i have a texturizer, basically, my styles are curly and course..there's a big difference, in the "smoothness" of the style..i don't think you'll get that same smoothness if you airdry your hair..

The baggy method is done, Yes on phony ponies, wigs and falls..I was having some hella-problems..especially living near the ocean..I was buying up products left and right..

gawd!! i think you ladies understand the way i feel when you go to bed at night, hoping your hair turns out beautiful, the next day,  after trying out a product to work overnight..

or the hair nightmare you went to bed with - was only a dream...then when you wake up, there's that feeling at the pit of your stomach, before you pass the mirror...it wasn't a nightmare at all..IT'S STILL THERE!!

I went out to Kmart, Walmart, Riteaid, everywhere trying to find something to keep my coarse, texturized hair from swelling up, then later in the day - blowing up...it was horrible..i have so many products, it's beyond belief...

I went to the Blackhairmedia forum, and there's someone named "natural girl" who has a texturized style..who was claiming she was growing a inch a month..

I posted about my problem asking about products to use for my frizz..she said just "put a baggy/plastic cap" on your head at night before going to bed.. you don't have to use conditioners, or anything...

I was "put off" by the suggestion, being in the medical field..thinking of all type of crap that would grow in your hair overnight..

I did it..the first day, i noticed a big difference..my hair could make it's own moisture, with the baggie, and retain it during the day...

with each night, i use the baggie method, the hair is responding well, with less frizzing each time..i did wash after the first day due to all of the product that i had in my hair before..

it really feels softer, and retains it's own moisture...

some folks with texturized hair (like me) do this every night to retain moisture without using products..(washing, or co-washing every 2-3 days), some folks hold out longer. some do this everytime they just need moisture in their hair..

tiajanice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiajanice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 4:48pm
Diva and Femme, you guys are the best! Hug

Not only do you give some really good ideas about what to do with my hair, but I feel a lot better about it...I just keep putting my hand up the back of neck and thinking...I'm a freak!!!

I haven't decided yet if I am going to try to do my own hair or go back to the salon weekly/biweekly.  I think I am going to try it once myself and see if it is a total disaster or not, bash  then decide.

Having said that, now I have some questions...When my stylist did my hair, she used one of those stretchy thingies on my head and actually suggested I use one at home. When I dry the back at home, should I try to sit under my hood dryer, use the blowdryer over the wrap, or gulp, airdry?

Do you know what is good to use to slick my shorter hair down that has more moisturizing than hold?  She used styling wax and I don't like how crunchy my hair feels.  I heard beeswax is good?

Roller Wraps?  At the salon... love it!  Despite the fact that you could build a junior high school in the time it takes for my hair to dry...lol!Tongue

At home... observe: fry

I suck beyond imagination when it comes to roller sets and/or wrapping!

Femme...is the baggie method you're talking about when you put leave in or cond or oil or whatever on your hair, then put a plastic bag or cap on it?
Ive heard of people doing that under their phony ponies, wigs and falls.

One good thing to report it that my shedding/breakage has gone WAAAAAY down....I still see a little bit, but NOTHING like before!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitaldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 2:35pm

your stylist really did a very good job with your hair!  she even made the short part look very "chic"..i like the style! i don't think you will have to worry about the short part if the long hair is covering it..looks as if she styled it that way, so you wouldn't have to do anything with it, but keep it flat..

i know what you mean about the "fresh from the salon" look..i'm beginning to learn a lot about my own head..to the point, i think i'll be better off without my stylist unless i have to do a touch up..

she does a lot of heat, plus, i've just learned about the curse of the "frizz"..the last time she had me under the dryer, i had a bit of frizz..this was after a roller set..she didn't say a word about it..

the next day, my "pin up curly style" looked like a shag rug...even though i had curled my hair the night before, you couldn't distinguish the frizz from the curls..i was at my wits end with using so many products..

then somone on the black hair media forum told me about baggying my head at night..i took that advice, and feel much better about styling my hair...

my hair is texturized..so, i have so much to learn about it...

diva? what are roller wraps? daaayyum, tia..sounds like we have a real pro over here!! you go digital diva!Wink

i think i'll stick around here when i get my hair fully relaxed! tia, you are too funny about the wine..LOL

I'll be a pro when I have 20 inches of hair on my head with no split ends! lol... Roller Wrap! You know! The stylist rolls your hair with medium sized rollers (I do grey and black). Then after it's dry she brushes it until its wraped around your head. Then you go back under the dryer for about 5 minutes to make your roots straight. Theeen, she comes it down.

What's this baggie process you're talking about, Femme?

AS OF 5/25/2007
4A
10 1/2' in the top
10 on the sides
3 1/2 in the back

GOAL
BSL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 1:37pm

your stylist really did a very good job with your hair!  she even made the short part look very "chic"..i like the style! i don't think you will have to worry about the short part if the long hair is covering it..looks as if she styled it that way, so you wouldn't have to do anything with it, but keep it flat..

i know what you mean about the "fresh from the salon" look..i'm beginning to learn a lot about my own head..to the point, i think i'll be better off without my stylist unless i have to do a touch up..

she does a lot of heat, plus, i've just learned about the curse of the "frizz"..the last time she had me under the dryer, i had a bit of frizz..this was after a roller set..she didn't say a word about it..

the next day, my "pin up curly style" looked like a shag rug...even though i had curled my hair the night before, you couldn't distinguish the frizz from the curls..i was at my wits end with using so many products..

then somone on the black hair media forum told me about baggying my head at night..i took that advice, and feel much better about styling my hair...

my hair is texturized..so, i have so much to learn about it...

diva? what are roller wraps? daaayyum, tia..sounds like we have a real pro over here!! you go digital diva!Wink

i think i'll stick around here when i get my hair fully relaxed! tia, you are too funny about the wine..LOL

Edited by femmemuscle - July 09 2007 at 1:40pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitaldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 8:54am

Well, I'm back! Let's just say I needed a glass of wine to get through this visit to the salon (no joke, I really had to have a glass of wine when she started cutting!) Confused
My hair actually doesn't look bad from the front.  It is about 8in long so I have a chin-length bob.  However the back is a different story...My hair completely broke off down to my new growth.  It is about 1 in long from the tops of my ears to the nape of my neck!  The longer hair covers the shorter part, so you can't really see it unless I lift it up..I can forget about wearing any ponytails  or updos for a while, though.

I still have that fresh from the salon "good" hair, but when I wash it, I have no idea what I am going to do with 1in long hair!Cry

I updated my fokti...take a look.

Sounds like my hair when I FIRST got my... I mean the 2nd time I got my bob. I got my first bob by my stylist in Birmingham, AL. This cut was fabulous! I got so many compliments. Then, when I went home to Atlanta, GA my stylist there convinced me that Bob cut was completely wrong and he wanted to "touch it up". What a freakin' mistake! Have you ever went from getting a lot of complements on your hair to people constantly asking you What happened to your head? Ok I had a point here.

Oh yeah, when my hair was as short as yours, I bought a pair of CHI irons. My hair is very thick, so I had to make sure the back part would lay down so I didn't look like Barbara Bush! These irons helped me maintain the sleek look of my bob, when I couldn't get to the stylist.

Just buy a pair of those 1 or 2 inch flat irons. After washing and deep conditioning your hair at home, apply a little bit of heat protectatant cream or serum, then go through flat ironing your hair in 1 inch sections. If you grab big sections your hair will not be straight. Since you already have breakage, make sure you put something on your hair before putting heat on it. If you don't it will be like putting an iron on a dead leaf.

Another option would be to see your stylist more often. This way she can manage your hair for you until it gets to a length that works better for you at home. She can apply treatments to the broken portions to get it healthy again.

Also, when you were making ponytails before, what were they like? Ponytails can cause a lot of breakage. When making a pony try to make it kind of high on your head so that you don't include that shorter hair in the back. Try and slick that shorter part up with Jam or some type of non-alcohol product. And make sure to use cloth scrunchies so that they don't break off your hair.

You'll be fine! We'll help you get on track. Can you post of photo of what it looks like right now?
Okay, I just saw the photo in your album. When styling your hair at home, I would not even put any heat on that part of your hair. It's completely hidden by the top portion of your hair.

After washing your hair apply a leave in conditioner to the broken portion. Then put one of those stretchy disposable wrap cloths around your hair. Then let it dry this way. That will ensure that it stays flat.

How do you feel about roller wraps?

Edited by digitaldiva - July 09 2007 at 8:59am
AS OF 5/25/2007
4A
10 1/2' in the top
10 on the sides
3 1/2 in the back

GOAL
BSL
tiajanice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiajanice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 8:38am
Well, I'm back! Let's just say I needed a glass of wine to get through this visit to the salon (no joke, I really had to have a glass of wine when she started cutting!) Confused
My hair actually doesn't look bad from the front.  It is about 8in long so I have a chin-length bob.  However the back is a different story...My hair completely broke off down to my new growth.  It is about 1 in long from the tops of my ears to the nape of my neck!  The longer hair covers the shorter part, so you can't really see it unless I lift it up..I can forget about wearing any ponytails  or updos for a while, though.

I still have that fresh from the salon "good" hair, but when I wash it, I have no idea what I am going to do with 1in long hair!Cry

I updated my fokti...take a look.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitaldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 7:48am

you tell 'em digital..Thumbs%20Up  if i were your beautician, i'd play it safe, and keep some serious distance!

i did some research on Japanese Straigtening..you know what it is?  the re-invention of the Jheri curl..there were a few websites with pics of AA women who had Japanese straightening done to their hair..

A few of the pics have been removed on one of the websites..probably at the models request?  They are finding out that the tighter the curl pattern, the more chance there is of damage and breakage...thus anyone with 1 - 3 curl pattern have less chance of breakage, versus anyone above that grade of hair..

it's like a two step process of the "Jheri curl" perm chemicals, then straightening afterwards...the first part of the process is enough to cause problems to begin with..

that beautician would be wise to chose a grocery store far away from your neighborhood..you sound dangerous with those roller wraps!

Hey digital, have you ever heard of mixing an egg with your deep conditioner?  some folks swear that it strengthens the hair, and helps it grow..

also, have you checked out the "hair growth" and "hair breakage" forums at "blackhairmedia.com"?  i think you'll like it..lots of stories similar to yours, and many success stories to boot!

Hey there!

I did the egg thingie. Maybe I didn't do it right. After I washed the egg and conditioner out of my hair, my hair wasn't soft at all. It was hard and gross! haha! It was funny. I also tried the olive oil deep conditioner deal. That didn't work either.  After rinsing it out then styling, my hair was very heavy and didn't want to do anything at all. But everyone's hair is different. I don't doubt that this worked for some people. The egg conditioner just didn't work for me. A stylist once told me that there are so many hair care products out there, that it isn't worth trying foods and things on your hair. But if it works It works right?

I will try out those forums. I already know that I need my ends trimmed. That's why I have a little breakage right now. I was tempted to buy a pair of sheers at the Beauty supply store this past weekend.

I'd rather my ends split all the way up my hair shaft than to visit a stylist and let them trim my ends! Ouch

I tell what I think HAS worked: This Hair Formula 37 regimen. I'm not due for a relaxer until the 25 of this month. It's the 9th and I think I already need a touch-up! I get a touch-up every 6 weeks.

Ciao!
AS OF 5/25/2007
4A
10 1/2' in the top
10 on the sides
3 1/2 in the back

GOAL
BSL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 2:22am
you tell 'em digital..Thumbs%20Up  if i were your beautician, i'd play it safe, and keep some serious distance!

i did some research on Japanese Straigtening..you know what it is?  the re-invention of the Jheri curl..there were a few websites with pics of AA women who had Japanese straightening done to their hair..

A few of the pics have been removed on one of the websites..probably at the models request?  They are finding out that the tighter the curl pattern, the more chance there is of damage and breakage...thus anyone with 1 - 3 curl pattern have less chance of breakage, versus anyone above that grade of hair..

it's like a two step process of the "Jheri curl" perm chemicals, then straightening afterwards...the first part of the process is enough to cause problems to begin with..

that beautician would be wise to chose a grocery store far away from your neighborhood..you sound dangerous with those roller wraps!

Hey digital, have you ever heard of mixing an egg with your deep conditioner?  some folks swear that it strengthens the hair, and helps it grow..

also, have you checked out the "hair growth" and "hair breakage" forums at "blackhairmedia.com"?  i think you'll like it..lots of stories similar to yours, and many success stories to boot!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitaldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 12:43pm
This really makes me mad when I read it. What the heck is wrong with these stylist these days? I got a horrible haircut about 2 months ago. From a long bob to a choppy something. I don't know what it is. But it's no longer one length. I used to enjoy washing and doing my hair. Now I just hate it. I usually wear roller wraps so I don't have to look at how jagged and uneven the layers are. This also keeps it healthy. I don't have to worry about a stylist burning out my hair with flat irons or damaging my hair. How bad can it go with a roller wrap with a deep conditioner? Exactly. This allows me to keep my length without worrying if the stylist is going to jack my shid up! It will grow back. Just do healthy styles in the meantime.

AS OF 5/25/2007
4A
10 1/2' in the top
10 on the sides
3 1/2 in the back

GOAL
BSL
tiajanice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiajanice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2007 at 8:45pm
That's great, I already have some humectress!  I'll have to see if I can find any ORS in a sample size to try...I've decided to try to get some travel/sample sizes of different things to decide what I like.  This way I can placate/indulge my PJ monster!Big%20smile

Well. my appt is tomorow...gulp. Confused
I'll post pix of my finished result after the B.C.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 7:15pm
i like  Humectress,it's a great moisturizing conditioner, plus, it makes a great "leave-in" as well..if i'm not mistaken, i think Cathy Howse recommends it on her website as well...

at this time, especially after the hair trauma, you might want to take a look at ORS hair mayonaise, you can use it as a light conditioner (15 minutes), or a deep conditioner..

Also, head over to "blackhairmedia.com"..they have so many forums  regarding hair growth, hair breakage, homemade recipes...great stuff..this is also where i've learned to grow and maintain my hair...it's a great source of information..and if you don't want to ask questions...you can lurk as much as you wish...no strings attached!

read up on some of the products, or do a "search" there..before you head over to Sally Beauty.  We want to keep your "product junkie" at bay.Embarrassed

tiajanice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiajanice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2007 at 1:40pm
Glad to hear I'm not totally lost with what I'm doing so far...I guess I just need to be consistent...and most of all, patient!!  I have read before that people love the cathy howse cond recipe...is there any particular con you like to use to make it?  Last time I did, I used Mane N Tail.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic