Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Redken all soft or Nexxus Humectress?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
suicides_eve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redken all soft or Nexxus Humectress?
    Posted: July 03 2007 at 1:19pm
 Whats the pros and cons of each of these? i am leaning towards the all soft heavy cream, but i love hearing what others think and what product they used worked for them.

Also:
 whats this i hear about them being sold at places like walamrt and target? are they still good to use or should they be purchased from a salon??

Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2007 at 1:07am

They are both very good products. It depends on what works best for you. Personaly, I a preffer Redken. Leaves my hair looking and feeling great.

Nexuss is another story. Other than Nexuss Emergencee, their products just don't work for me. I don't know what it is but they leave my hair feeling like wire LOL. But there are people who have great results with it.

As far as Nexuss being sold at Walmart etc, my understanding is that the company was purchased by the people who manufacture Alberto Vo5. That is why it is now available at drug stores and the like. It is still the same formulation, so yes, it is OK to buy it there. However I always find better deals, getting them from Ulta or Trade Secret. The other places are always more expensive and they never have any offers.

Hope that helpsSmile

Edited by Sharyg11 - July 18 2007 at 11:29pm
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 8:43pm
I agree it depends on your hair.  I've had better luck with the Nexxus Humectress than the Redken Allsoft.  The Allsoft left me with a lot of flyaway/frizzies, and the same thing happened to my mother-in-law when she tried it!  

Last year I switched to Redken 02 Satinwear as a leave-in, and recently began alternating it with Redken Extreme Anti-Snap, and they've both been great with much less flyaway/frizzies than the Allsoft.  My hair, by the way, is slightly wavy and medium blonde.  I still use the Humectress as a regular conditioner, followed by small amounts of either Redken product as a leave-in.

Redken is in some grocery stores now, at least in central N.C. (the Lowes chain), as well as at salons & Trade Secret.
sdejager View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdejager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 12:20am

I am not a big Nexxus fan so I'd recommend the Redken All Soft as well - if those are the only 2 choices (I still like Joico in your situation.) You will find them in drugstores and wallmart but it's still the same product (regardless of what your  hairstylist will tell you.) Manufacturers have to make money too!

:)sherri

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 12:26pm
well i ended up trying both and this is my results

My hair:
 bleached over processed straw frizzy hair, seriously needs moisture, split-splity ends

Redken- made my hair soft but real poofy and tangled up a bit. my hair seemed soft but had no 'bend' to it. but it sure made everything shiney looking
Nexxus- i got tangles with this product to, but my hair  had that 'bend' i was looking for, hair seems weighed down and dull looking. felt a bit in better shape after using

now i am on to the jioco reconstructing condtioner i have been using it for a few days and  my hair seems to be responding well at the crown  but my ends still feel dry.  hair has been shiny and smooth. i think i will start leaving it on my end  and see how that works.

i have about another 1-2" left of  super dead frizzy ends to goUnhappy after i just had a inch taken off the other day.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 11:36pm
You need to do protein treatments. No amount of conditioner is going to fix overprocessed hair. Nexxus Emergencee is awesome, but if you want to go with Joico, their Deep Penetrating Reconstructor is also very very good. With either one, wash hair, apply the protein, cover with a shower cap and go under a dryer or heat cap for 20 minutes. If you don't have a head dryer you can apply heat with a blowdryer. Shampoo out and apply a good conditioner. Protein treatments will make your hair feel like straw. That is normal. They are not designed to soften hair. They are designed to "repair" or rather buffer the damage. I don't know wich Redken conditioner U used, but the Smooth Down Butter Treat works great for processed hair. But you can use the Joico too. Again cover with the shower cap and apply heat for at least 15 min. Do it once a week for the first 3-4 weeks and once a month after that. You won't believe the difference.

Edited by Sharyg11 - July 19 2007 at 10:11am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 10:05am
 i have been doing protien treatments with aphoogee. I really like their products, i also  uses there kreatine reconstructor and alternate with nexxus keraphix.

i was on the hunt for something  that would compliment it witha great deep condtioner. my hair is in serious need of moisture
 the redken i used was the all soft condtioner they had samples at trade secrets so i picked up a few and used that
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 10:28am
Aphogee will work good if you are trying to prevent damage. The molecules in aphogee are too big to penetrate the hair deep down where you really needed. You need a protein treatment with the right molecular weight. The joico one is a favorite among stylists, and so is the emergencee by Nexxus. Mind you, I don't like Nexxus but that particular product works wonders. It is expensive but worth every penny. Sebastian 2+1 or Redken Deep fuel are also wonderful.

As far as the conditioner goes, try the Redken butter treat. It is really good. Or try Joico K-pak. It is awesome as well. Like I said, you must put it on, cover with the cap and apply heat for about 15 minutes. You need for the hair cuticle to open so the conditioner can penetrate. If hair is extremly damaged, you may also need to use a leave in conditioner. Now, if money is no object, there is a product called Rene Furterer. They make a leave in conditioner in a spray form. It is called Okara Nutri-hydratant. Some salons carry it, or you can buy it on the net. The stuff is amazing. As soon as you spray it on your hair it feels like silk. But if you don't want to spend the money (it runs about $25) you can try something cheaper. Sebastian Potion 9 works great for me. I'm sure Joico makes a good one too. 

Buy them from a store like Ulta, where you can return it if you are not happy with the results. But trust me, you will be. Take it from someone who had severe damage from Thermal Reconditioning. It will save your life while you grow out the processed hair.

Good luck and great hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 10:34am
thanks for the info! i will have to check with the joico b/c i have heard really good things about itBig%20smile
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 3:17pm
Good, let me know how it goes!!
groberts80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote groberts80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 2:46pm

I agree with sharyg, Nexxus doesnt work for me at all except the Emergencee and makes my hair feel course and tangly when wet. The All soft heavy Cream smells like heaven and makes my hair so smooth and moisturized. I would go with that. But maybe try  both and see what works best for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 4:14pm
LOL wow man this was from a while ago I found my solution: I shaved my hair off. yep i got rid of it and started over fresh. NOTHING can restore damaged hair.

julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2008 at 9:38pm
How much has it grown eve? I wish I was brave enough to do that (shave my head) But my husband would kill me,LOL.
P.s. someone was looking for you on the hair color part of the forum.You or bambilee.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 11:50pm
well back in august or sept i cut it all down to about 2 inches of new growth(virgin) and now it is about 5 -6" long it is chin length and naturally falls in to a bob style. i haven't colored it r had it near any heat for that whole period of time. but i am using the nexxus and my virgin hair just loves its it brings out my spirals which i forgot i had bleaching made my hair straight
 popping over to the color boards now
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic