Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shampoos and extension hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shampoos and extension hair?
    Posted: July 06 2007 at 6:52pm
Hi all. I知 getting a sew in tomorrow with 3 wefts of Russian hair. I知 excited and the hair is very nice. I jut got done coloring my natural hair with a semi permanent color and the match is perfect.

Okay I知 thinking about shampoos. This hair is NICE and I don稚 want to mess it up. I plan on shampooing as little as possible, probably once every 4 days. I have heard you don稚 want to use any shampoos that contain sulfates. I知 guessing this applies even to virgin Russian? The gentler the better? Those of you out there wearing the Russian about how often are you shampooing and what care products are in your normal routine that are working nicely for you. Any help/info would be nice. Thanks.
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 7:15pm
Pureology Hydrate is a good shampoo as well as Loma Peratin & Chocolate Soymilk - all are sulfate free.

But listen, I have very good results from sulfate shampoos as well such as Herbel Essences Hello Hydration (smells incredible & very inexpensive) and Neutrogena Triple Moisture. I have used the latter for years and have had no problems with it on extension hair for the long haul.

krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 7:19pm
Okay cool. Yeah ya know isnt the sulfate the molecule or whatever that reacts with water to cause suds? Without suds, how do you clean oils from the hairshaft anyway? It seems like some of these sulfate free ones might just kind of smell nice and cause build up really.

Anyway, Im printing this thread so I get the names and will just kind of use up what I have and get a new one. Thanks.
sisterhanse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sisterhanse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 7:23pm
try garnier fructis it worked wonders for my extentions
peace and love
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 10:18pm
I use sulfate and non-sulfate. I just switch around. With the virgin Russian you don't have to worry so much since it's not coated. There's differing opinions about sulfate and non-sulfate shampoos. I like a lot of poos that have them. I love HEllo Hydration! It smells AMAZING (I know, I'm repeating what Amm already wrote) but it's really is great!

krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 10:21pm
I think I need to find this Hello Hydration. A lot of people seem to really like it. I also heard it works well to soften new wefts if you just soak it in there with some water. Ya know when they are brand new and stiff at the top.
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 3:10am
Yeah, I heard that too about the wefts softening.
I was reading about cones in conditioners. I guess it coats your hair after
a while and can make your hair look dry. So what I do is use a clarifying poo (I guess) every two weeks. I definitely noticed a difference with the Hello Hydration though and it smells GREAT!!

krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 5:49am
Yeah conditioners can be tricky with extensions. I have noticed that in the past. Its a fine line between giving the hair the moisture but also not overdoing it and getting a wayed down look. The drying factor I could see from certain ingrediants they put in conditioner that tend to have the opposite effect when used over time. Thats why I think also, you should use maybe a couple different types.

I was going to try only using conditioner on the ends when I shower and then I also got a nice leave in thats supossed to seal the ends and keep them from breaking longer. When I have worn Indian hair, that seemed to always be a problem that the ends become brittle and start breaking. Since this Russian hair is virgin and bone straight though, Im hoping its less prone to breakage. I might curl it on occasion but plan on mainly wearing it straigt and using heat tools as little as possible.

Oh I should ad, just make this thread ANY products you currently use on your extensions that work well, conditioners or leavs ins or mousse or anything. Whatever you have in you "hair aresenal" so to speak to keep your extensions nice and lasting longer.

Edited by krimsa - July 07 2007 at 6:18am
monsterita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsterita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 4:10pm
I just found a wonderful non-sulfate shampoo for less than $5 a bottle at Trader Joes.  It's really nice and leaves my hair feeling as good as the Pureology.  Garnier didn't do as good a job for me and I had extensions go bad using that shampoo.  I haven't tried the Herbal Essences because I object to their commercials.  Confused

cathug<---------  I just thought that was cute. 
Hair type: 1a/f/i
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by monsterita monsterita wrote:

I just found a wonderful non-sulfate shampoo for less than $5 a bottle at Trader Joes.

Here's something else...

Trader Joe's carries a line of dog shampoo from Cloud Star called Buddy Wash. Works on our hair, too! It's non-sulfate and check out the natural ingredients!

https://www9.mailordercentral.com/cloudstar/prodinfo.asp?number=W1520. A huge 19oz bottle is less than $9 and the lavender/mint aroma is fantastic. Best thing is that every purchase Cloud Star gives back to non-profit animal rescues.
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 5:18pm
Wow! I'm going to look for those!!

krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 4:05pm
Oh and I did get the sew in on saturday. Its nice and I really like it. This Russian hair is fantastic and so soft and smooth. It just feels so much better than any other hair type I have used. Anyway the only issue with the lady doing the sew in was I brought the wefts to her stiff at the top with that coating on them still and she acted like she had never seen that before and didnt think she could work with it. I told her to try getting it wet and soak in conditioner and she didnt really understand and just decided to sew them in like that. Anyway she just bent them around my head and sewed in so Im hoping they get softer after I shampoo? I dont know. I have never dealt with wefts before and thought she would know more about them lol.

I would say that sew ins have just as much natural movement as strand by strand methods. The only differance is instead of a billion little bonds on your head that you have to worry about, its just 3-4 tracks and wefts but you get virtually the same effect and I think the wefts actually are more hidden because its more like a "tiarra" effect with one line going around instead of all those separate attachments.   

Edited by krimsa - July 08 2007 at 6:05pm
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 7:02pm
Cool! I'm glad you like the tracks! I love my sew in!!

krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 7:04pm
Yeah its awesome. I told her to go as tight as possible and I guess my scalp is pretty tough now after years of extension wear lol. No pain or anything and it seems really on there! I like the freedon of not having to worry about slipping bonds and is everything level and am I losing one. That just got annoying. A sew in is there for the long haul until you need it redone.

Edited by krimsa - July 08 2007 at 7:05pm
tessa111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tessa111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 9:08am
Krisma,  I am soo glad that you love your sew-ins!!  I love mine too and have a re-install tomorrow to have them moved up and think they are so easy and fun!  I have gotten to a point where I wash on the fourth or fifth day and just spritz with water on the bumps from my braid at night and they look great!  So much easier than my own hair.  I am too lazy to flat iron so I have gotten to the point that when I do wash it, I dry my own bangs and get the attached portion dry and then let it air-dry with some Bumble and Bumble Prep and off I go!  I use Chi Silk Infusion to protect the ends and calm any fly away and I love it!!  Glad you are pleased!!
JeepGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 10:49am
MAn all this talk about sew ins.....I really want that done but am having a problem finding someone in the Nashville. Tn area to do them.  Soon as I find someone I'm going to have the sew-in done.
I'm also going to try the Neutrogena Triple Moisture...thx for the tip Amm!
PS.My husband thanks you to Amm for the tip on the After Party leave in stuff.......he LOVES it......and you are the one that told me about it several months ago.
Thanks,
JeepGirl

Current install-Bohyme Bodywave #30 and #14 in the straight hair/ they didn't have the #14 in bodywave, so I mixed them...works great!
Carol328 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 12:32am
 Wow, after hearing so many good reviews on the sew ins Im thinking of maybe giving them a try again.  I use to wear them years ago (and I mean years ago!!) back in the early 80's and never had problems with them.
I am currently (still) wearing the fusion bonds, but like Krimsa said the worry over losing the strands is really a pain. (especially out in public!!)
I recently bought some nice Bohyme hair from Ebonyline in handtied too.
I will have to find somebody to do them though around here.

For those of you who have them in now, can you tell me if they're expensive to put in?    I know every place is different but I have no clue at all on what they charge for this since it has been years since I've worn them.

Also, Krimsa, can I ask you where you've purchased the Russian hair from if you don't mind?  Im just wondering because I don't see many sites to purchase Russian hair. 

And, I got to try that Trader Joe stuff!!  I love that store and shop there all the time.  I never thought to check out their hair products!
Thanks for the tips!Thumbs%20Up
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 6:05am
Thanks Tessa. Yeah I like the sew in. The only issue I had was the wefts were stiff at the top and she sewed them in like that! So they feel a little bit hard around my head right now. I think normally wefts are kind of soft at the top but these came with like a clear coat on them. I am guessing once I wash them the first couple times they might soften up a bit and I hope that doesnt make them loose. I should have soaked them in conditioner or something overnight probably but I didnt know to do that lol. Well I definitely wont get shedding.
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 8:26am
Hi Carol, sorry didnt see your post earlier. It depends on the tracks who charges what. She did 3 for me for $100 and trimmed the hair even at the ends, slightly razored it on the sides for blending and did a little bit of styling and showed me some good ways to wear it. All that for $100 I think is VERY fair.

It will vary though and I think it really depends on the stylist, the salon and just what they feel like charging. This lady was working out of her house. She used both thread and little itty bitty rubber bands to make the wefts very secure and in there.

I dont think we are allowed to advertise hair sites here? I dont know. Just do a search for Russian Hair Store USA and it will come up.
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 12:12pm
Hey Krimsa, I'm so happy to hear that you're enjoying your sew-ins!! I think the stiffness on the weft will lessen over time. I think sew ins are so much easier to maintain. I'm surprised that you asked for it to be as tight as possible!! And you don't feel it!! It always feels tight the first couple of days for me.

JeepGirl, Triple moisture is great! I also love Hello Hydration (not as thick). I've done deep conditionings with the triple moisture. Have you tried Loreal's Nature's Therapy? I really like that too.

Carol, I think you'll love how easy the sew ins are compared to the fusion. It's a different feel though but you get a lot more coverage and volume.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic