Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shampoos and extension hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 12:53pm
Thanks Malibu. I just did a little top shampoo today of my natural hair. I might ad that it is so much easier to do that with a sew in because you can clearly tell the division between the top track and your own hair and can just clip it back. I just got a speck of water on the top track and even that made it feel a little softer so it should be fine once its shampooed. It doesnt hurt or anything just if you touched the top of my head it would kind of feel like I had a tiarra under there or something rigid but you cant see it at all. I love the sew ins! I am kicking myself now for all those years of fusion and the money I spent. This whole time I could have been wearin tracks and using nice Russian hair! Live and learn I guess hehe.

I dont know how many of you have ever touched a rabbit but if you have you know how sleek and smooth their fur is, this hair is almost that soft!

Edited by krimsa - July 10 2007 at 12:56pm
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by tessa111 tessa111 wrote:

I have gotten to a point where I wash on the fourth or fifth day and just spritz with water on the bumps from my braid at night and they look great! 

What do you mean you spritz water on the bumps at night?

Carol328 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 12:38am
Originally posted by malibu malibu wrote:

Carol, I think you'll love how easy the sew ins are compared to the fusion. It's a different feel though but you get a lot more coverage and volume.

Thank you Malibu.  I think I would get use to it pretty quickly too.  I remember when I wore them years ago back in the 80's how stiff and big the wefts were but I always felt very secure in wearing them.  Thank goodness though that they have come a long way since then!  The wefts today are so much smaller and natural looking.

Thank you Krimsa for the advice too.  I am going to ask my stylist if she does them.
This is such a great board and Im so happy to have found it!!  I use to think that GL's were the only extensions out there but I've learned alot since then and am still learning.
sourgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sourgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 4:36pm
When I had GL last year towards the end I noticed the ends were splitting and getting really dried. I got a free sample of fekkai overnight hair repair that you apply on dry hair. And it instantly brought back the luster and shine. When I got the extensions taken out and saw how much damage it did to my hair, I tried everything and nothing made my hair appear healthier. Then I remembered the free sample I got and decided to buy it. When I went to order it it was $195!!!!! I finally went on ebay and got it for $60 which was still way to pricey, but I needed help. Between using that and Ojon hair repair I quickly got my hair back into shape. Any way I went on way too long, but if you come across a free sample or a good deal on ebay Fekkai overnight repair is great on dry extensions, a little goes a long way and if its a humid frizzy hair day, i just use a dab and it keeps my hair shiny and tame all day.
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 4:51pm
Yeah tracks certainly have a different feel to them than individual bonds. It’s nothing bad though. To me it just feels like a bit of string tied around my head and I don’t even notice it anymore really. In fact strand by strand method and all those bonds drove me nuts. I didn’t like constantly checking for danglers or loose ones and having to hold the hair when I brushed to keep stress off them. Weaves have a much sturdier connected feel. That’s the main difference in my opinion but say if wearing a bandana or head band or something like that bothers you, you might be annoyed with tracks. It depends on your sensitivity level to things on your head I would guess.
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 5:20pm
Krimsa, I totally hear you about the bonds. The sew ins is a whole lot easier!! I thought it would bother me and be bulky, etc. I really just forget they're in.
I did like the feel of bonds though. It felt more natural but I'm used to wefts now.

SourGirl, I'm still unclear as to how your hair got damaged. I would think that if the GL caused damage it would be where the bond is, ya know?

Carol, it shouldn't be so bulky. It sounds like you had too much hair in your braid? hmmmm But yeah, they're very secure. I think you would really like it.

krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 5:25pm
I think also when getting tracks you have to really go to someone good who knows what they are doing and can work with your particular hair type. The micro wefts are really small and lay totally flat but if the braider takes too much hair like Malibu said, that can cause problems. I think overall, less can go wrong with sew ins but the person doing it needs to be experienced and also some education needs to be given to the client after the install about care and washing and maintenance.
sourgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sourgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by malibu malibu wrote:

Krimsa, I totally hear you about the bonds. The sew ins is a whole lot easier!! I thought it would bother me and be bulky, etc. I really just forget they're in.
I did like the feel of bonds though. It felt more natural but I'm used to wefts now.

SourGirl, I'm still unclear as to how your hair got damaged. I would think that if the GL caused damage it would be where the bond is, ya know?

Carol, it shouldn't be so bulky. It sounds like you had too much hair in your braid? hmmmm But yeah, they're very secure. I think you would really like it.

My hair got damaged because of a bad install. the bonds were really thick and some of the bonds ended up sticking together making one big clump, she kept telling me I had to get in there and wash them really good, and when I did it matted my hair around and above the bonds.
tessa111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tessa111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 12:46am
I just had my russian hair wefts re-positioned Tuesday - four rows and shw applied them a tad more snug this time than they very first time I had them installed because she wanted to be sure that I could handle it and that my hair and scalp would be fine and it was a little uncomfortable, but almost felt good like a good sports deep tissue massage!  I love the wefts and couldn't handle bonds and you do get totally used to them!  I like many others am washing on the fourth day and really deep conditioning with Kerestase intense conditioner and then try my bangs, dry the wefts at the braid and airdry for a fun tossled look and am thrilled with them!!
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 1:29am
Tessa, four rows!! How are they positioned? It sounds like it's gorgeous! Is you hair straight or wavy?

How do you like the Kerastas? Is it the green line?

TanglesRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanglesRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 2:06am
ok, may i chime in here with a question-
for the braid wearers,
when your braid is taken out, what is the condition of your hair, is it thinner, is there breakage with the braids and sewing going on, OR is your
just as it was before you started.
thanks
s

Edited by TanglesRC - July 13 2007 at 2:07am
Bringing beauty, one head at a time...
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 1:00pm
Hey Tangles, my hair is in good shape but it's like that super kinky crimped texture, so who knows if that's bad?? I wouldn't think it's good but I've inspected the hair that shed (from the braid) and there aren't any broken spots. I pull the hair until it snaps and it's reaction is the same as the hair that hasn't been braided.

malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 1:02pm
Tangles, I have a question for you. Have you tried or heard anything on Kerastas?

Also, I've been meaning to tell you that I bought the Gump leave in spray conditioner from that ebay link you posted. I can't tell if it does anything but it's gotten rave reviews. The gump conditioner has loads of protein so I don't know if I should mess with that, ya know?

sourgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sourgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 1:52pm
I am not sure the type or texture of everyone elses hair, but I considered wefts and was told my hair is very thin and would most likely break. I went for the micro links, I like the look but they are kind of uncomfortable. I just got them in on tuesday so I am going to give it a little time.
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 3:20pm
Cool sourgirl, hopefully you adjust to them. They usually look way better than they feel and thats the important thing!

I did the first full shampoo on this weave and the hair is just fantastic. Absolutely no change in the feel and I just blow dried my natural hair on top and made sure to dry the tracks. I let most of the length air dry and its just like silk with no styling! I am so pleased with this! I used a cheapo shampoo something cashmere touch, I would need to go look at the bottle but I think its Loreal and in a pink container. I know I should not be using the cheap stuff but no problems at all. I used a speck of better quality conditioner just on the ends.

The wefts softened up quite a bit just from one shampoo so Im no longer concerned about that. They just needed to be soaked and I will know for the next time. Overall weaves are the bomb!
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by krimsa krimsa wrote:

They usually look way better than they feel and thats the important thing! 

LOLLOLLOL

Krimsa, did you get straight or wavy hair?

Edited by malibu - July 13 2007 at 3:56pm

krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 5:59pm
Bone straight, virgin 19-20 inch dark brown. Its straight as hell. I braid it in like 8 braids at night and take it out in the morning and its all ripply and gypsy looking. I am having a ball with this hair lol
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 7:08pm
It sounds gorgeous Krimsa!!

krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 7:43pm
Its pretty but I only did 3 wefts. The lady installing it said that wont look thick enough and you need more hair. I said just put it in because I dont want tons of hair and just want it kind of thin and sleek looking and I can always add a 4th weft later. It is really nice and not overly fluffy and I like that it is so close to my natural hair. Its basically always what I have wanted from extensions. Just took me years to find darn it! Im really indebted to all you ladies with the Russian. It just works so well with finer textured hair.

Edited by krimsa - July 13 2007 at 7:44pm
BunnyWabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunnyWabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 8:27pm
Ok so I was going to schedule a consult for a sew-in at a nice salon, but then I found out that I have a friend who can corn row pretty well (and her boyfriends other daughter can do them REALLY well apperently soon as shes back in town) so she  is going to make my track and I'm going to sew-in it myself. I feel confident that I can do the sewing part, but what sort of things should I make sure she does with the braid?

I want to start with one or two tracks - what shape/placement will get the most coverage? Im still a DIY at heart so I will fill in other spots with tiffany twist (which I love btw!)

other than adding some extra braid hair and a little bit of grease for easier braiding, are there any other tips?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic