Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cramps - Women's Health Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
carrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cramps - Women's Health Issues
    Posted: July 07 2007 at 8:24pm
I have to really work hard to avoid this challenge and have found several things that help but would love additional tips from anyone here.

What works best for me:

1.  Advil at the first sign. 
I don't like taking any types of drugs but this works when I need to be able to go to work and function.

2.  Heat. 

Heating pads help as do hot baths.  New British research shows that the heat deactivates the pain at a molecular level in the same way that pharmaceutival painkillers work.   According to researchers the optimale temperature for helping to soothe the pain is between 104 and 113 degrees which is tolerable to human skin but still pleasant.

When I can soak in a bath tub or use a heating pad a hot shower even helps.  Maybe because it helps me relax?

3.  Acupunture treatments. 

For some reason this really helps on a long term basis.  I get treatments monthly and ask my doc to help with cramps.

The National Institute of Health actually endorses acupunture for women's hormonal and cramp issues.  www. qacufinder.com for more info on acupunturists.

4.  Daily fish oil treatments. 

Research shows that daily fish oil supplements will help significantly.  Some studies show it will reduce pain up to 40% .  Fish oil blocks the pathway of the chemicals that cause the uterus to contract.  The recommended dose is 1 g of fish oil every four hours during the day starting tht day before the period. 

5.  Vitamin E pills

Studies have also shown that women who take 200 mg of Vitamin E twice a day on the last 2-4 days before their period starts and the first 3-4 days of the period have fewer than 2 hours of total cramps down from 18-20 hours as a general rule.  I do find this helps but it might be all in my head.  Studies do report this helps greatly relieve cramping.

6.  Cramp Bark Tea

In a tea or tincture this herb does what the name says.  I don't like the taste of the tea so I take it in water and suck it down quickly. 

7.  Chamomile Tea

Drink up to 5 cups of chamomile tea a day.  This relaxes cramping muscles.

8.  Slippery Elm

Good for all types of cramps (not just montly cramps).   You can take it as a tincture or a tea.  Again, the taste is not great but it does help many with cramps.

9.  Cutting back on caffeine. 

For some reason hot pads help me but caffeine seems to make it worse.  I suspect it because the caffeine causes my muscles to tighten up. 

On the herbal front, Honeysuckle also helps stomach cramps and may help with cramps.  This can be taken as a tea or tincture whifh would be available from a health food store.

10.  Yoga and walking. 

This helps but I always avoid this because when I have cramps the last thing I want to do is exercise.  But it does help increase blood flow to the pelvis which will help reduce cramping.

German Chamomile oil used with a base oil and as part of a gentle massage will help relieve cramps. 

Roman Chamomile oil can be inhaled which will help.

Cypress oil used in a bath will also help relieve cramps.

Please add your favorite tips.  I am always looking for anything that will help.

Curly Carrie
Check Out CurlTalk at HairBoutique.com
carrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 9:10pm

ConsumerReports recently reported that fish oil lubricates the brain. 

Omega-3 fatty acids in fish and fish oils that are known to protect the heart have also been proven to help prevent mental decline. 

Studies were done on 2,250 middle-aged people and 210 older people suggested that omega-3s helps reduce inflammation and promotion the regeneration of nerve cells.

The American Heart Association recommends that most people eat fish at least twice weekly.  If you don't like eating fish consider consuming about 2 grams of omega-3s per week.

The new studies published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, add some possible reasons to follow those recommendations. 

Young children and pregant women should avoid or limit their intake of fish species that might be contaminated with pollutants. 

For more on safe fish choices, go to www.ConsumerReports.org/health.

Curly Carrie
Check Out CurlTalk at HairBoutique.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic