Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Highlight Help, Please?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Highlight Help, Please?
    Posted: July 10 2007 at 5:55am
Hi Everybody.
Haven't posted in a while. Hope everyone had a nice Fourth Of July! Smile

I was wondering about something... I've recently considered going a bit
blonde again - just highlights though. My hair is currently a dark brown
color... which I plan to keep. I've already got a good highlight kit in mind
(I've seen what color it came out on my cousin's dark brown hair, it's very
pretty).

These are pictures of Jennifer Aniston's hair (at one time). Notice how the
darker hair underneath still shows through? That's what I'd like mine to
look like. But I need to know:
To achieve that look, do I have to do the "streaks" by hand?
OR if I use the cap (which comes with the kit), how much hair should I pull
through the cap and in what sections? Also...when using the cap, am I
suppose to brush all the hair back before putting the cap on? Or do I just
brush it like I normally do?

Any help is always appreciated!
Jess
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 6:56am
Lordy Lordy I never thought I'd see the day... lol

Good luck I sure it will look great!
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 5:26pm
Hi Hal,
Yep...toying with the blonde again. I think I might like it like this though.
At least it won't be all blonde and I'll have some dark still peaking through. Maybe it won't be too bad. I hope not, because that would
mean I've mucked up my hair again...and well, yeah that would suck. :)

Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 9:25pm
I'd try to do those by hand, but only a few placed where you want them to be.  Style your hair like normal then add the highlights. 

Rebekah
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 3:27am
Thanks Rebekah! :)
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2007 at 10:27pm
Rebekah (or anyone else who may also be able to help):
Would it be wise for me to go buy the foil sheets to do my highlights (just so that the bleach doesn't dye the hair underneath the sections I'll be highlighting?
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 4:37am
Alright. So, I did the highlights (with the clear "foil" sheets - which, by the way, was very difficult to attempt and ended up being too difficult to bother with further). For once, they came out ok even though I did it all
by hand (instead of using the cap). The color's a bit more red than I
anticipated/wanted. It's not that much of a problem.... but I want it to be
a more ashy blonde color - maybe a little lighter too.

So.. what's the suggestion for that? Do I go attempt bleaching it again
or would I be ok to just go get a lighter blonde hairdye and go over the
current color with that?

Quick response would be greatly appreciated as I'm a bit anxious to get
this over with. :)

Here's what the color looks like:

Thanks!!

Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 7:45am
I think you have to do it again...
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 9:30am
I agree, I'd just go over the same pieces again.  Test strand of course, but from the photo it doesn't look like its going orangy, so you are working with a nice ash shade (that is, if the photo is true to life...sometimes lighting can trick people). 

I think it looks nice now, nice light brown highlights that go well with your dark brown hair.  Jennifer's highlights are blonder, but then her natural color (or at least her base color) is dark blonde.  She does have some brown on the underlayers, but that is normal for a natural dark blonde, and her upper layer is still dark blonde.  You may get more of a stripey look if you go lighter since yours is dark brown, but that is your choice (some of us like stripes, others don't, depends on you).

I don't think I'd buy a blond box and do your whole head (I think that's what you asked?), mostly because you said in the first post you wanted to keep dark brown.  If you don't want to keep it, its still kind of hard to go from dark brown to dark blonde using dye and not bleach, even with high lift dye.  If your hair is not your natural color and it had been dyed dark brown, it will definitely not change anything just to buy blonde dye.

Edited by Susan W - July 18 2007 at 9:31am
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 9:48pm
Thanks you guys. Smile

To answer your question(s) Susan:
No, I wasn't talking about going over the whole head with the blonde
dye... only the bits that I had highlighted.

Natural color is actually strawberry blonde, but I'd much rather be a
brunette, so I dye my hair dark brown.

As far as the color in the picture... it's not an exact match to what it looks
like in real life, but close enough. Wink

Ok, and now, a couple more questions from me:
So, I should bleach it again... should I use the same product I used before?
Or should I try the O'Real Blanc stuff that's been talked about on here?

In the event that the bleach goes to a yellow-y color.. what do I do then,
to bring it to a decent shade of blonde?

Also - would it be wise to mix conditioner with the bleach (to hopefully
minimize any further damage)? If so, how much?

Edited by Yoda - July 18 2007 at 9:52pm
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 9:09am
Well, I see I forgot to mention that I'm not a pro, so I don't know the answer to stuff I haven't personally encountered.  I don't know if people mix conditioner with bleach (maybe someone else knows), and I don't know anything about what the the O'Real stuff is. 

It didn't look orangy to me in the photo, but you say its redder than you wanted....I'm not sure if that means it had a green base, (in which case you could do it again, it wouldn't go more orange than it already is, even if it didn't make it to blonde...and it might make it to a dark blonde), or if it has some other base that is not countering the red that comes out when dark hair is lightened (in which case it might just go more orangy and not come out a satisfying un-orange color until you get it to medium yellow).  I just can't say. 

What I can say is if you do bleach, do your ends first because your scalp heat will make the roots go faster, and if your bleach goes yellow, you can use something over it that has a violet base to counter the yellow.  You can either choose a dark blonde dye with a violet base to counter the yellow and get it dark blonde (and use it with a low volume developer like 10 volume so it won't be as damaging), or use a toner made to counter brassiness. 

You should still test strand everything. If you do, you should be able to get your bleach timed right so it doesn't go too yellow - which would be more damaging than you need anyway, and also to make sure toner if you use it doesn't come out too purple or gray looking, and to make sure you don't hit a breaking point with chemical damage.).  As long as you test strand, you know you won't go wrong with your whole head's worth of highlights.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2007 at 10:33am
Thank you so much Susan! For not being a pro, you've sure covered
enough ground for me, I think. Smile

I suppose I'll wait to see if someone responds on the O'Real Blanc
product. I had read in someone else's post that they put conditioner
in their bleach (which happens to be the O'Real Blanc stuff). I just don't
know if it's alright to do that with all bleaches or just that stuff.

Thanks for letting me know about doing the ends first when bleaching!!
I wish I'd thought/heard of that when I did these. I was wondering why
my roots lightened before my bottoms did. Embarrassed

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of my questions, Susan.
I really do appreciate it!

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 7:57am
I'm glad I could help!  If no one else answers, maybe posting a new topic called 'can you mix conditioner with bleach?'  would help.  Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic