Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is it ok to mix Conditioner w/ Bleach + more q's
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is it ok to mix Conditioner w/ Bleach + more q's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it ok to mix Conditioner w/ Bleach + more q's
    Posted: August 18 2007 at 3:14am
Ok, as usual, I've got a few questions for those able to answer.
#1. Will mixing conditioner in with bleach help reduce the damage
it may cause to the hair?

#2. I'm toying with the idea of maybe doing overall highlights, while
keeping my roots dyed dark (it's silly, I know, but humor me).
However, I'm curious how I would go about touching up my "fake
roots" if I've used the cap to highlight my hair. Do you just go
through each strand or do you just highlight with the cap all
over again?

#3. I need an opinion. Do you find that if a woman has a very
pale complexion, light blonde hair will only make her look washed out?

#4. With a starting color like this (dyed dark brown, with slight highlights on top):

How difficult would it be to go from that to somewhere in between these:

What products would I have to use and what would have to be done to make sure there are no reddish orange tones in it?

Thanks!
JB

lovetocolor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 7:04pm
use a blue based bleach....i have put conditioner in  my bleach mix when i was bleaching to lighten my hair....it does really help your hair feel much better although it makes the bleach less strong.  look at scarlett johanson....she is a beautiful pale skinned woman with very pale hair....but they do say if you look washed out to wear red lipstick and use a touch of bronzer.  if i were you i would bleach in stages....like lighten for 30 min one day and then really condition and then do it again a day or so later....doing it all at once can fry, and i don't mean maybe, your hair.
happy coloring
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 8:26pm
#1  I really wouldn't recommend it.  The bleach needs to be applied dry and not mixed with conditioner as the conditioner will dilute the strength of the bleach.

#2 The problem with what you are wanting to achieve is that the dark dye will color the highlights when you rinse it out.  For tone on tone looks, it's important to stick within a few shades of each other, for example:  Medium ash blonde base with light golden highlights works well. 

#3 Not sure about this...

#4 That color that you are seeing is not a dark base, but rather the natural color of the roots showing prior to being touched up.  I'd say that look is a tone on tone look.  Not Sure what color it is though.  Although it looks rather warm/golden. 

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Rebekah
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 11:08pm
I just had my hair done and my colorist used some oil on my hair before she put the bleach on ... Interestingly enough, I'm ticked because she didn't leave it (bleach) on long enough and it's not the color it's supposed to me. I'm thinking it's just a coincidence (with her having used oil) ... because this happens every once in a while. But UGH, I'm SO mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I shouldn't have to REMIND her EVERY time that it needs to be on longer! ONCE should have been enough!!!!!!! WHAT is the MATTER with these people?????? It sucks having to find a NEW colorist!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 11:06am
alayney, their is an oil bleach or she could have put on some essential oil or something to try to cut down on damage....it does suck when your hair turns out not like you wanted.  hope you find someone who will color your hair how you want it.
happy coloring
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 6:23pm
Thank you to everyone for your opinions and input and for answering all of my goofy questions! I appreciate it! Smile It's definitely given me stuff
to think about and consider before I do anything, which is good.

LoveToColor: What would be a good blue-based bleach to use?
How much conditioner do you apply to your bleach?

Oh and what about the touch-up process if I do it through the cap?
Too tough to try at home or do you think it can be done?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2007 at 10:28am

hey there...ok, first the blue based bleach....i would go into sally's, do you have one?  and there are these bleaches called kalidacolors,,,,DON'T use those.....i cannot think of the name of the bleach, darn it.....ask in there for a blue based bleach, they should be able to reccomend a good one, i am so sorry i cannot remember the name....i have used the loreal o'real blanc and that worked really well for me but it is not blue based......ok, on the conditioner i add to my bleach mixture i put in 2oz....now, this will cut the strength of the bleach but you can do it in a few sessions and it keeps your hair from feeling bad.  now didn't you want to have the dark roots?  why could you not just apply by bottle to your roots and kinda smash it in and not get it on your highlights?  then when you have to touch up your highlights just apply bleach mixture with a brush, like you are painting?  that is what i do....listen, let me know what kind of bleach they recommend from sally's...i hope your hair turns out beautifully.

happy coloring
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 12:24am
LoveToColor, you are a doll!! Hug  Thank you!

I do have a Sally's nearby. I'll ask them about the blue-based bleach as
you suggested. :)

The way you mentioned for the dark roots is exactly what I was planning
to do! And I can do the brush thing to touch up the highlights when necessary. I was just more concerned with the touch-up process if I were to do all-over highlights. But with that, I suppose it would just require me to seperate my hair into sections to touch up the highlighted strands, right?

You've been such a great help. We're obviously on the same wavelength, here! I'll let you know what Sally's tells me about the bleach!

Talk to you soon!

Edited by Yoda - August 22 2007 at 12:25am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 10:20am
oh yoda, you are welcome....we all help each other.  i look forward to hearing back from you....ya, that's funny that we had the same ideaEmbarrassed....listen, get back to me when you get your products and such or anytime ya want to......i would put in a moisturizing cond in bleach mix....i know it cuts the strength but if you do it over like 3 sessions you will be glad you added the cond....can't wait to hear all!!
happy coloring

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 11:22am
hi..i was rereading rebekah's entry and she is right about the dark gonna wash dowdn on your highlights.....you can reverse the process and first deposit on roots and what ever hair you want dark....you know, do the best you can....i do this exact thing to my friend katie....then lighten....then do  the roots as you have to...and try to keep it off the highlights....again, do the best you can....what ever you put on can be liften out with a little colorzap or bleach....again, do the best you can...katie's hair is really healthy and it is hard for me to explain how to do it, darn it....i just reread what i wrote and I DON'T KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!!  are you getting my drift?  or is this gibberish?
happy coloring
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2007 at 5:50pm
Sorry for the delayed response, luv! Internet's been down. But yes, I get your drift! Wink
Thanks again! I'll keep you posted!! Big%20smile

Edited by Yoda - September 03 2007 at 5:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic