Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair not growing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BronxNative View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BronxNative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair not growing
    Posted: August 19 2007 at 5:39pm
I am a 20 yr old Black male. my hair is 4b i think which is nappy / coarse. I been growin my hair for bout 1 year now puttin it in cornrows since it got long enough to braid. but i still got no hangtime after 1yr. I have the following questions im hoping you peeps can answer.

I get my hair braided every 3 weeks, how should i be taking care of it during those 3 weeks when its in cornrows.. Plz be detailed like wat products to use how frequently to use them  and what not to do etc. I havent been doing anything betweeen those 3 weeks but washing my hair like every 4 days in the shower with a du rag on.

When i get my braids taken out, i get my hair washed, blowdried then rebraided again. Is this bad? I heard i should leave the hair out for a couple days. Also if I should leave it out then how do i maintain it while its in the fro?

i hear about indian hemp oil castor oil all kinds of other stuff. I'm not too knowledgable on those things so what are simple products i can use t o increase my growth and healthy hair.

I hope someone can answer my questions because after 1 yr of growing this i should have some hangtime, im real frustrated like my hair aint growing.

Thanks, all help appreciated. feel free to pm me with more advice.
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2007 at 11:08pm
Are you shampooing and conditioning your hair weekly? 

Do you deep condition your hair when you take your conrows out?

Oiling your scalp daily or every two to three days.

What products are u using?

I would reccomend using castille soap for shampooing and using the castor oil on your scalp. Any creamy conditioner should be ok.
HTH.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
BABYGIRL718 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BABYGIRL718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2007 at 6:12am
You should also try spraying your hair with a braid spray like african pride.  Moisture is the key!
fatkat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 1:44pm
Make sure your braids aren't braided to tight to the scalp.  People do not realize when you get your hair braided to tight it pulls the hair and can irritate or damage the scalp, which can cause breakage and slow hair growth.   Let your hair breathe for a couple of days after getting it taken down and washed.  It is also said that you can over shampoo your hair.  Once or maybe twice a week is ok.  If you want you can try to leave your hair up for only two weeks and a couple of days.  When your hair is braided to long it tends to mat together and tangle.  Use a pic to keep your fro looking fresh while its not braided.  Do you have any type of scalp problems For instance, dandruff?  One more thing try not to get to many designs when you get your hair braided because it can cause pulling of the hair from the scalp.  If you want try a product called wave nouveau moisturizing lotion or mist.  This can be put on your hair while you wear your fro.  This is not a perm,  It can be used on natural or permantly waved hair.  I've used this product on my four boys since each one was 2 months old and I still use it to this day and they have very long hair.  Go to walgreens.com and type in wave nouveau and click search.  You can also try most beauty supply stores. 
mz. dimples
Hair Goddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2007 at 5:19pm

Hey Bronxnative,

Do you notice any growth yet?
JMAN21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMAN21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 6:20pm
great info.
ShowStoppers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShowStoppers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 10:32am
when I wore them I saw that my sides started to thin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShowStoppers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 10:32am
my beautican stated to stop styling them and I did still didn't notice a change

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShowStoppers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 10:33am
Confused
fatkat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 1:58pm
  Its been awhile since I heard anything from you.  Has your hair started growing yet?  Smile
mz. dimples
LILDEE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LILDEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2008 at 5:33pm

Maybe who ever is braiding you hair hands doesn't work with your hair type. Try changing hair stylist, I heard that some peoples braiding technique can help someones hair grow faster.

Also make you your hair is not tight. If you are unable to smile and wash your face take them off its not worth it. Tight hair adds pressure to the scaple which will brake hair instead of helping it grow.

Find a good mouisturizer and apply to your hair twice a day morning and evenning.  When you remove your braids give you head at lease one week to breath. During that one week do your baggy treatment with a good conditior and moisturizer. Deep condition and style the hair before you go to bed. I know you a guy and this might sound silly but if it works for women it will work for you. Buy a satin scarf or bonnet to put over your hair at night.

Even though your hair is braided you can still grease and moisturize the scaple and hair. Good luck!!!!!!! buy some s-curl for you bagging
http://members.fotki.com/Lil-may/about/ God is good!!!
roots126 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roots126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2008 at 12:42pm
You have said nothing about any conditioning products u are using.  This is a must for braids.  If you dont want to use a deep condioning treatment, please use a leave-in conditioner before u put the braids back in.  Infusium 23 leave-in conditioner is great, and you can find it in any drug store.
delleaux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delleaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 8:37am
My hair type is like yours 4b. What you may be experiencing is your growth cycle may be in the resting phase. When you take your braids down do you see more shedding hair than actual  growth? If you are losing more hair than growth it may be breaking. If not then you are okay. I use to braid my hair a lot for about 3 years.  Taking them down and reapplying,  for the most part my hair line suffered but that is because of the tightening of the braids. 

The oils you are using are very helpful. Also try rosemary too it is suppose to stimulate growth as well.  There are about 4 cycles your hair goes through antigen phase is the one that everyone wants, the growing phase. The longer you are in this phase the longer your hair grows in a shorter period of time.  Also take into account with our texture being the way it is we have mad shrinkage and it appears your hair is not growing when in fact it is.  So if you are shedding hair but your hair is getting longer it is okay. It is normal to have hair that sheds......Smile
Dread pride!!!!!@}-----
jerryshudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryshudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2011 at 4:08pm
Following are the tips that help in proper and healthy growth of hair:
1 Eat nutritious rich diet
2 Drink plenty of water
3 Massage your hair regularly with coconut oil
4 Massage hair with bhrami hair oil before going to sleep
5 Wash your hair with nice quality of conditioner and shampoo
6 Protect hair from heat,dust and pollution.
Hair Goddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2011 at 2:19pm
I'm sorry to hear that after all this time you are having problems with growing your hair. 
I can only give you some friendly advice.
I used to have this problem.  It's not that your hair isn't growing, it's what's being done to it.  Less is better for gals like us.
If you want your hair to grow....1.  Less is better and 2.  Don't let anyone else touch your hair.  3. Style and trim it yourself. 4. Shampoo is (a sham), but if you must use it, add your own pure oils in a seperate bottle and use less.  IMHO, it's the only way.  It worked for me.
Good luck.
PS  Oh yeah, and stay away from the chemicals.

Edited by Hair Goddess - July 29 2011 at 2:20pm
AimeeMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AimeeMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 8:34am
Great points, Hair Goddess! If you don't care for your hair properly, it will break and become damaged. That's why when using a flat iron, I recommend keeping it on a heat setting that is appropriate for your hair type.  A straightener that has direct temperature settings will give you the best results. A straightener with a digital read-out of exactly what temperature you want makes setting your temperature very easy.

Here is a basic chart of where you want to set your temperature according to your hair type:

Hair Type    Thick/Coarse/Curly Normal/Medium/Wavy Thin/Fine
 Temperature (in °F) 390-450 360-390 Below 360

Hope this helps!Smile

Edited by AimeeMP - August 31 2011 at 9:08pm
~Aimee~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic