Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Opinions about razor cuts / Thinning thick hair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions about razor cuts / Thinning thick hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alwaysandnever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alwaysandnever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions about razor cuts / Thinning thick hair
    Posted: August 26 2007 at 6:02pm

My hair is relatively short (6-8 in) and very thick. For most of my life I've kept my hair very short but I began to grow it out because I saw a lot of styles that I liked and wanted to have something similar to them.

The style I've being trying to attain is basically my current hair length and straightened. The thing is, is that when these people straighten their hair it looks very straight and defined.

Mine generally looks poofy takes a lot of volume and not so straight. Don't get me wrong, I like volume actually, but when its amorphous volume and doesn't give that straight look, it just sucks.

I started getting my hair razored to help thin it out and make it easier to manage. I've had it razored by the same hairdresser I think 3 times. The cuts have all turned out differently, the first helped significantly but my hair was still very thick, the second a couple months later was nearly perfect. The third time she totally went overboard and it looked like crap, really short layers and so much razoring. But I've noticed with all of them after a couple washes or so my hair generally gets poofy again and it sucks. Like with the last cut my hair was at first very flat after the cut, then if I straighten my hair a month or so later it gets pretty poofy. I do use product when I straighten and deep conditioners.

So I was wondering what people thought about razor cuts. What is the best way to thin out super thick hair that is difficult to manage? Do razor cuts cause a lot of split ends?

I notice razor cuts expose a lot of ends because the razor cuts hair at different lengths, and I notice that once the ends start splitting and I try to straighten my hair my hair will look rather ROUGH because my hairs end at so many different lengths and my hair will look not so straight and not so nice. I like the choppy effect of razor cuts cutting the overall length but is there any other alternative to thinning out my hair? Perhaps razored at the very ends only and thinned elsewhere by thinning shears?

Thanks

Edited by alwaysandnever - August 26 2007 at 6:08pm
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 3:22pm
      Angry Razors are for shaving. The next time you see a stylist approach you with a razor, use your cape like a whip and swat him or her away. Razors leave thin wispy ends, and those look terrible with any style. Think "scarecrow" hair. Best, Bob
       (Edited: No I didn't report you, last poster. Say what you wish. I call 'em as I see 'em. It may surprise you to know that there have been a couple times I've advised women to cut. No, I never volunteer this opinion.
       Ten months ago, this 25 year old woman came back from maternity leave with a pixie. She had had pretty shoulder blade hair, but the new look was simply her. Well, she went half a year w/o cutting it, and I mentioned that her hair was really growing, (well-shaped, I might add). She told me that she was thinking of going short again, and asked my opinion. She was leery. I told her my honest opinion, she thanked me, and a few days later, the pixie was back, and she was happy.
      But no, IMO, razors create an unfortunate flyaway look on any length straight hair. Bob Big%20smile)

Edited by Bob S - August 29 2007 at 3:51pm
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2007 at 7:10pm

That would be boob's opinion!  bob s also thinks you should run from any and all cutting tools.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic