Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Russian hair!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 8:59am
The Russian should last you a while provided you got good non-coated virgin stuff. Let’s see here, mine was installed back on July 7th of this year and I’m on my second install now and it feels about the same as the day it arrived in the mail. No significant change at all. It barely tangles and my fingers slide right through it. I think you can expect a fairly long run with it provided you are not bleaching it or doing a lot of heavy duty daily heat styling. But that would go for any type of extension hair. Easy does it. Eventually though I might like to try something new. Not because the hair is wearing out but just because I get bored easily lol. I was thinking along the lines of more Russian hair but maybe a red auburn? I don’t know though because my natural hair is dark brown so that mean probably getting into a lot of coloring and stuff.
Sofiaone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sofiaone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 12:31pm
thanks frozen toes for the detailed feedback. It sounds like the GL hair was not a match at all for your hair. I think with everyhair method, if the hair doesn't match your own hair in texture, feel, and porosity, then it will suck. I don't have naturally silk hair (its curly and has to be flat-ironed to look smooth) so for me anyone putting in silky smooth hair would suck.

I think you stylist unfortuately didn't take the time to match your hair type and recommend another hair method or option to you since your hair is not a match for GL. I am glad you are happy now and doing well with the russian hair. I am sure if you tried the dream catchers hair (Paris hiltons brand) you would love it too since it is gorgeous silky russian hair....totally unilike mine :). It also sounds like when she noticed you were loosing so many strands that the bonding method for GL didn't work in your silky hair and she should have offered you a partial refund at least.
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 4:38pm
Dreamcatchers uses Russian hair specific to that system? Hmm. Did not know that.
msfitns72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msfitns72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 5:19pm
Well, I am hoing into 4 weeks with the Russian hair and it is just the same as when I bought it. Some days, I dont even run a brush through it before I'm out the door! It has been worth every darn penny! here are a few pics I promised: Excuse the content...but they were the best pics of the hair! LOL

Edited by msfitns72 - October 20 2007 at 5:31pm
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 8:47pm
Are you a lady wrestler! Wow! How is your Russian hair attached and how many ounces are you wearing? It looks like a lot of it.
TanglesRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanglesRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 9:16pm
you look GREAT!!!
Bringing beauty, one head at a time...
msfitns72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msfitns72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 9:59pm
Lady wrestler? ROFL!!! yeah-- all 5'2" 110 lbs of me! No-- I work as a model for the bodybuilding/fitness industry.
Thanks for the compliments though! I am wearing just under 6 ounces of the Russian hair. It is pinchbraided in. Pinchbraids are little individual braids tied off with string.It sounds weird but it's the most secure method I've worn. I have been using this method for over a year and love it. A good pinchbraider is hard to find....so if you do, put a ball and chain on her and threaten her life if she ever thinks about retiring from doing your hair! LOL
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 8:20am
Ahh okay thanks. I wore pinchbraids many years ago. It was actually the very first extension method I tried. I wasnt really happy with it simply because my head is kind of small and the braids seemed too bulky. That was just in my case though and Im sure it works great for others.

Well your Russian looks fantastic. It has encouraged me to try maybe 4 oz. Im only wearing 3 or probably less than that now and its nice hair but I would like a little more. I wear wefts. I will see what can be done to ad in more when I get new hair. Thanks!

Edited by krimsa - October 21 2007 at 8:21am
msfitns72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msfitns72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 8:31am
yes-- you are right about the braids being bulky for most. Fortunately, I found the MASTER GENIUS of all pinchbraiding! I drive 4 hours to a gal in Atlanta get my pinchbraids done. She is amazing at creating small, secure braids that are just perfect! The smaller braids are very difficult to achieve for most pinchbraiders, as you must have superior finger dexterity and a lot of focus ( and time!) She makes them a little larger on the bottom rows and gets smaller as she goes up. Thats the key, I think! :)
Good luck with your Russian! Post pics if you can!
ikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 9:16am
Your hair looks so beautiful
Sorry, still learning English
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 10:20am
Yeah I was having my pinch braids done by Hair Police. They are supposed to be the masters of the technique and they probably are quite good but my feeling was their specialty was more along the lines of the synthetic dreads and the more fanciful hair dos and less with the natural, undetectable looks. So perhaps if I could find someone who was able to do the smaller braids like yours, it would work out better. It can be hard to find anyone who specializes in a given technique and I need to drive 2 hours as it is now to get a sew in weave!

You look like you have more hair than I do up top also and it’s thicker so it’s probably easier for you to conceal the braids. My hair is relatively thin naturally so I don’t have a lot to spare for coverage.

I’m thinking of trying an additional weft of Russian though. I think my skull can handle 4 lol. We will see.
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 12:30pm
day-um girlie! You look awesome and so does your hair!!! SO GLAD it's working out!!! And thanks for the pinchbraid plug. . .it DOES SO ROCK. . .I FLEW to Atlanta to get my hair done by Heather, and yes, she does an AMAZING job. I think the hairpolice do do much thicker braids. I've had it done there too.
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 12:50pm
Yeah I remember the Hair Police braids as being much too thick for fine hair that is.
Sofiaone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sofiaone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 4:27pm
msftns72.....I love your hair. Would you mind posting pics of how your pinch braids look? are they the size of a pencil top? similar to locs in size? I have never seen them in person and am curious to see if this would be a method for me to try.

thanks
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 5:37pm
Yeah that would be great! Like try to lift up your own hair and take a photo. I know thats easier said than done and especially hard with brunette hair as it all blends in lol.
msfitns72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msfitns72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 8:09pm
Hi all--
Thanks Fina! I am definitely loving this install! I dont know what I'd do if Heather went out of business! God forbid!

Sofia-- I would take some pics but I let my brother borrow my camera as he just had a baby and is snap happy with the photos right now. I would say the bottom to mid braids are about the size of a pencil top. ( good comparison!) but as they go up, they get smaller and smaller...probably the size of Hairlocs locs...just not as flat. The braids are certainly rounder... so if you have SUPER fine, sparse hair on top, you could possibly have trouble with a few poking out. The good thing is-- they look like little braids...not weird pieces of metal.

mokipono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mokipono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 9:43pm
Hi Misfitin~~~~
Thanks for the beautiful pics! You are gorgeous!  Maybe you can answer a question for me.
With Pinchbraids the hair is usually doubled over at the braid to give it more strength.
But how does the virgin Russian hair keep from matting with the small part that's doubled over. Wouldn't the hair be going in 2 different directions??
Chime in here girls~~~
Fina Fina do you know what I am talking about?
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 6:53am
That's a good question. I am thinking back to my Hair Police pinchbraids and how they looked and felt and I cant imagine trying to use Russian hair for that method. It seems like it just wouldn't hold in a braid and would slip constantly but hey, if it works, it works.

Edited by krimsa - October 30 2007 at 6:54am
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 1:44pm
Yes, I would love to know too.
ALL EYES ON ME
msfitns72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msfitns72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 2:21pm
Ok....you hungry knowledge hounds! lol
The deal is-- the russian hair CAN be used as long as great care is put into minimizing the foldover where the braid is done. Heather loves to fold the hair over...but with this hair, she was sure to cut the "tails" to no more than about 2 inches. They give me no problems at all being that small. I was worried they would bunch and mangle, but it works out fine. Fina told me that she definitely experienced "bunching" problems when she folded the russian hair...so be sure those tails are CUT!
Also-- for some reason, though I am used to DOUBLED over strands, this install feels just as thick as usual and has stayed put with minimal slippage. Its been 5 weeks and I've lost 2. ( very average for me). the hair isnt coated...so although it's fine, it's not limp and slick as to slip out of the braids. I was worried about that in the beginning too!
I am going next Friday to have them tightened ( I go every 6 weeks because I'm a freak about keeping re-growth in check so my hair isnt HANGING there being stressed)I am using the same hair. It looks just the same as the day it was installed. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic