Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Russian hair!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 10:55am
I wish it was not so pricey but the trade off for that seems to be hair that lasts, and lasts and lasts until you cut it or destroy it with over processing. The only reason I can see for the high cost is that it’s not coated with any product and virgin meaning cut off a person's head, shampooed and sent out. I’m not saying all vendors do that though and of course with any hair purchase its best to investigate everything beforehand. I found a vendor that seems honest and I love the hair bottom line. It’s a good match to my own. So for me at least, the high price tag has balanced out because if I was still purchasing coated hair that I was not happy with after a few shampoos, then I would need to buy new hair so what’s the difference from that perspective?
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 11:53am
Originally posted by krimsa krimsa wrote:

I found a vendor that seems honest

LOLLOLLOLLOL

krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 11:58am
Are those good laughs or bad laughs? lol. I probably should not even ask. You need to remember here that I am not a stylist, lord knows. I am a client and usually lost and confused when it comes to hair so I have latched onto ANY and all information I can find on these forums. Then I try my best to do research but at some point you just need to throw some money down and get hair. I probably only got lucky hehe. There are a lot of vendors and they make all the hair look so pretty on their websites, thats for sure. You cant go by that rule #1

Edited by krimsa - September 28 2007 at 11:58am
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 12:05pm
Krimsa, I've learned a lot from your posts! I really have!
You don't give yourself enough credit.

Tongue

krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 12:11pm
Well ya know when you are browsing hair vendor websites and trying to get some ideas? Doesn't it just seem really difficult to decide because of course they just show you all this beautiful, gorgeous, shiny looking hair? I want to see hair thats been on a head for a month or two dammit!! lol.
oh*so*sassy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oh*so*sassy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2007 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by krimsa krimsa wrote:

Well ya know when you are browsing hair vendor websites and trying to get some ideas? Doesn't it just seem really difficult to decide because of course they just show you all this beautiful, gorgeous, shiny looking hair? I want to see hair thats been on a head for a month or two dammit!! lol.

Definitely.
I cannot tell you how much $$ I have thrown in the trash in the form of a matted-bunched-rodent-nest-looking hair wad.
Looked pretty in the pics. Felt pretty for a day. Or two.....
furious
Frozen_Toes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen_Toes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 10:11pm
Hi there.  New around here but I wanted to wade into the Russian hair thing!  I just had my god awful GL removed and had russian added instead!  It really is gorgeous hair.  Do you mind if I ask what vendor you bought from?  I'm still looking around for more and I'd like to compare my prices.

Thanx a bunch!
Sofiaone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sofiaone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 12:56am
Hi Frozen Toes- what about the GL didn't you like? the hair quality or the method?

By the way, how are you installing your russian hair? What is the difference between russian hair and Indian hair? I have porous rough dry hair and most of the silky shiny hair doesn't match mine so I am looking for something that would match nicely. I think the russian sounds good ...where do you buy it and how do you install?
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 7:19am
Russian hair just has a much softer and silkier feel than MOST Indian hair. I emphasize most because you can indeed find quite fine Indian hair on the market. Russian hair to me feels almost childlike in its fineness. Like ya know how a little kid's hair feels? It’s almost like that. Just very fine and soft.

If your hair is slightly thicker and course then Indian would probably work better for you in fact. You can always get a sample of the Russian and hold it up against your own hair and see if it blends in. In my case, the Russian almost disappears into my natural hair because it’s so close in texture. Russian tends to be on the higher side price wise. Make sure it is indeed Virgin Russian hair with no silicone coatings on it when you buy. If you go with Indian, same thing there. I think the coatings are a real problem and what causes the hair to tangle and lose shine sooner.

Edited by krimsa - October 13 2007 at 7:20am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen_Toes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Sofiaone Sofiaone wrote:

Hi Frozen Toes- what about the GL didn't you like? the hair quality or the method?

By the way, how are you installing your russian hair? What is the difference between russian hair and Indian hair? I have porous rough dry hair and most of the silky shiny hair doesn't match mine so I am looking for something that would match nicely. I think the russian sounds good ...where do you buy it and how do you install?

The GL was a disaster from the beginning!  I have very fine, sleek hair but a fair amount of it.  The stylist put inthe GL by cuting them into 3rds and 1/2's.  By the end of the first 2 weeks I had lost close to 15 or 20.  She replaced the first 10 for nothing and then proceeded to charge me HUNDREDS of dollars to keep adding them back in while telling me it was because I had 'hair issues'.  Granted, I would pick at the hairs because they were uncomfortable and my hair would slip out of the bonds.  Had 2 full sets put in between April and August.  Then I found out a little bit ago that she was using my hair on other clients! The hair quality was awful too.  The strands were full of grey hairs (it was a dark chocolate brown) and when they were colored they wouldn't hold the color.  The hair was rough after a month and quite frizzy at the ends.  It was only 12" long and I had to keep having trimmed to remove the fuzzy ends.  

So I grabbed what was left of my hair from her and went to my very good friend who owns a salon but hasn't done extensions since she was in school.  She used my fusion iron and the Keratin u-tipped Russian (that I am a little embarrased to admit I bought off of eBayEmbarrassed)and had all the hair installed in very short order.  The hair was 20" long and so very silky.  It wasn't the right color so I colored myself at home Embarrassed  I took the hair into her yesterday and it looks amazing.  It is a little longer than I would like or am used to but she wanted to let me try it out before we cut a whole bunch off.   It is so thick and silky with a bit of a wave to it.  The diameter of the hair is at least twice GL.  I had asked my GL stylist to order me a thicker hair and she said my hair wouldn't support it.  All totgether I have spent $2474.00 at that salon.  My friend put in the Russian for $150.00 and the hair and iron cost me $200.00.  Unfortunately there are very few extensionists in my area; one does GL and the other 2 do Euroloks.

I know that you do get what you pay for but eBay was the only place I could find to buy hair because I'm not a licensed stylist.  But my friend is going to help me with that and buy what I need through her shop. 

I have found such a wealth of info on this forum and I thank you all for helping me finally get it through my head that it isn't totally the fault of my hair but that the GL don't work for everyone. 
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 12:45pm
I had the exact same issues with the GL hair. Exactly! rough, course, tangled, didnt match my natural hair. It only got worse after a few shampoos! I know exactly how you feel! And those ends! Forget it! They turn into fuzz!
mokipono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mokipono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 3:44pm
There was a topic on this board a couple of years ago about GL hair and its origin. Collectivly, we found out the hair was Indian, and had a very interesting coloring process. Appearently, the hair is decolorized by shaking it!! Anybody remember that one?
GL admitted the hair was being decolorized, and recolored by the exact same process that is used to decolor wool from sheeps hair, and recolored for sweaters and other wool clothing.
This process is suppose to be very gentle on the hair!!??!

Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 5:53pm
Do they shake the ladies while the hair is still on their heads to decolorize it?

Edited by Ms.Honey - October 13 2007 at 5:54pm
ALL EYES ON ME
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 7:39pm
I dont know what they do. I was fooled by their website and information. Basically they describe it as "Indian Temple Hair" and lead you to believe its the dope. It is in fact, processed hair that is not in very good shape by the time it goes on your head. I admit I was stupid and fell for their advertising. I now know what to look for in better hair that has not been damaged prior to install. Its a learning process but I wasted a lot of money.
mokipono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mokipono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 9:20pm
Hey Ms. Honey, Yeah they shake the crap out of em'
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 10:23pm
a few years ago, GL hair got very very good reviews. Its only been in the past year or so, that the hair quality isnt getting such great reviews ...maybe they are shaking it a lil' too hard....
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by mokipono mokipono wrote:

Hey Ms. Honey, Yeah they shake the crap out of em'

LOLLOLLOLLOL
And those poor sheepLOLLOL
ALL EYES ON ME
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by sherrie215 sherrie215 wrote:

a few years ago, GL hair got very very good reviews. Its only been in the past year or so, that the hair quality isnt getting such great reviews ...maybe they are shaking it a lil' too hard....

Maybe they shouldn't shake them but stir LOLLOLLOL
ALL EYES ON ME
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 10:51pm
They've probably switched suppliers.
ALL EYES ON ME

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frozen_Toes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 11:31pm
Whatever they have done with it has not been a good thing. 

Day 2 with the Russian and it still feels so good!!  It does need a little extra moisture and the bonds on it are if-y but otherwise the hair is great.  These bonds seem to have a very low melting point (Wal-Mart straightening iron low to be specific) but they are holding so far.  Any tips on re-tipping and good products to use would be greatly appreciated!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic