Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

curly, breaking hair!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
suzyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suzyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: curly, breaking hair!
    Posted: October 11 2007 at 7:29am
my hair is curly and fine. i do not know what "type" it is.
it has been breaking (not at the roots) for quite awhile now. i have lost over 6inches. i have talked to several hairdresses and cant seem to get answers. my next step is a dermatologist or nutrionist. this is very , very frustrating!  anyone have any ideas??

thanks
kinkycurlygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kinkycurlygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 2:19pm
Well what type of products are you using.  Do you use heat?  Are you overly stressed?  Have you used any chemicals on your hair?
www.fotki.com/bmli111
suzyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suzyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 4:18pm
hey, thanks for getting back to me.
i always use salon products on my hair. i even do deep condtioning treatments weekly. and i try not to wash it everyday. but when i do, i do use the blow dryer. i have been having highlights. but the hairdressers i have seen, know about my situation and do not use anything with bleach in it.  and im overstressed...just everyday stresses.
just seems too rapid to be breaking like this

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kinkycurlygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 7:22pm
Well I would suggest you look at the ingredients in your products.  Mineral oil, petolotum are horrible for curly hair.  They dry your hair out.  I would stop using heat if I were you too.  You might want to wash your hair only with conditioner.  Shampoo has sulfate in there that dries your hair out.  I shampoo my hair once a week.  I use conditioner whenever I need to get my hair wet.  Besides that one day a week.  Keep on deep conditioning too. Let me know if this helps. 
www.fotki.com/bmli111
suzyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suzyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 7:00am

thanks for the advice...at this point, ill try anything. i dont understand why it just been happening on and off for the last 3 years, and ive never had this problem in the past.  i also called a nutrionist and she thinks im probably lacking protein in my diet and need omega 3 oils. its quite scary...i was just hoping it wasnt a serious health issue.       how did you know so much about the hair products? are you a hair dresser?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kinkycurlygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 12:26pm
No, I have curly hair, and my mother knows nothing about it.  She has straight hair.  I have researched and read online for hours about hair.  I would also drink lots of water.  You want to keep the water level in your body stable.  Your hair needs it.  I would try eating more protein too.  I also take a vitamin with biotein in it.  Flax seed is also good.  Ask your nutrionist about any vitamins that you can take.
www.fotki.com/bmli111
laceydon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laceydon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 2:10pm
i have super curly hair also, which i get highlight in and straighten. i use protein treatments on my hair about once a week. i like the joico k-pac (which you can get the three pack for about 30 bucks. it comes with shampoo, conditioner, and a special treatment) or the nexxus k-ten or something like that. also, try putting a really deep conditioner in your hair, and cover your hair with a plastic hair cap. then nuke your hair with the blowdryer for a few minutes. when your hair is heated the cuticle opens up and will soak up the conditioner better.
and don't use any products for your hair that contain alcohol. that means no hair spray! and if you use mousse or gel, read the ingredients!
hope that could help. if yo uhave any more questions let me know.
suzyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suzyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 2:47pm

yes, i do use a weekly deep conditioner with a cap and blowdyer. i also use a leave in conditioner.   i have stopped coloring it all together. dont dare to use  any kind of coloring treatment in it until i know whats wrong and why its breaking(which i still dont know). and of course now i feel so ugly...not only is my hair breaking, now i have dark roots coming in...and just in time for the holidays!! ugh!

thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kinkycurlygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 8:40am
Well if you have deep conditioned and you are using the right products then the damage should stop.  You might have some medical condition you don't know of.  What I would do is cut off all of the damaged parts and then let healthy hair grow back.  Deep condition every week.  Try to cut shampoo out of your hair routine.  If you must shampoo once a week. A sulfate-free shampoo is even better.  If you need to get your hair wet, then just wash with conditioner.  Sleep on a satin or silk pillowcase.  No cotton. 

Now I know some people with curly hair don't do well with protein.  There are so many things out there that can be causing this. 

I hope this helps.
www.fotki.com/bmli111
stargazer27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stargazer27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2007 at 9:51pm
hey suzy,
my hair was also breaking off Ive been dying and highlighting for years and the last hairdresser was a total bitch and left the hightlights on too long my hair was breaking off as she washed it out, my hair was ok for a few months but then it went really fine scraggly frizzy and started breaking off I tried everything on it all different conditioners, treatments, oils, I also read alot , the hair cant be repaired from chemical dyes the only thing you can do is chop it off and if you dont chop it off it only gets worse, your hair can only take so much, chemically dyed hair can only last about 3 years , thats why I had mine cut about 1 -2 inches it looks so much healthier and felt like silk after the chop, I was afraid to get it cut at first took me about a week to get the courage haha but im happy i did it now Im currently growing out my hair and my natural hair color as Ive had enough of my hair looking like ive been dragged down the road from hair dyes, and also too much protein can make your hair break too i got some of the PPS dFUSE menz the enz its a leave in conditioner and makes your hair feel really soft their is also a mask I havnt tried yet http://www.ppshairwear.com.au/d_fuse4.cfm you might want to try it

Edited by stargazer27 - December 15 2007 at 10:04pm
stargazer27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stargazer27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2007 at 9:57pm
my hair is also curly fine and I had also been using a hairdryer , quit using the hair dryer for a while too
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 10:05pm

First of all, I'm so sorry that you're going through this! Hug  I've been there, and my mom has too.  Make sure you're eating a healthy diet, get plenty of rest, and try your best to get rid of as much stress as possible. 

Be careful with protein treatments.  If I do one less than 2 months apart, my ends get really crunchy and brittle.  But I know others who successfully use it once a month or twice a month.  You should probably try waiting a month between treatments, and if your hair feels fine try 3 weeks for the next one, but if it feels bad wait 6 weeks for the next one... and so on, till you find what your hair likes.

Heat, styling products, etc should be used at a bare minimum if at all.  Be very gentle when handling your hair - washing, combing, detangling, styling, whatever.  Just handle it delicately so as not to cause more breakage.

And do take the advice you've been given and get some vitamins.  Biotin would be good for you because it helps your body absorb proteins from foods.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic