Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Luv yo mamas but hate yo baby mamas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Luv yo mamas but hate yo baby mamas
    Posted: October 11 2007 at 10:04am

AMY GOODMAN: And the contradictions of hip-hop, I mean, for example, with Jay-Z, videos of women in degrading positions.

MICHAEL ERIC DYSON: Sure. Well, you know, hip-hop at large certainly has to answer and account for the way in which women have been degraded, the vicious assault upon women, to use B and H as the common parlance in reference to women. And it's an interesting irony, maybe even a cruel paradox, in hip-hop. They love their mamas, but hate their baby mamas, love the women who produce them, but hate and loathe the women with whom they produce children. That's not a good recipe or an equation for something healthy and productive.

Now, to its credit, at least we can understand where they're coming from. When you see the misogyny of hip-hop, it's so horrible, it’s so putrid, it’s so, you know, odious, that we know, we smell, we see it. The misogyny that is reified, that is reinforced, that is subtly reproduced in corporate America or in church life or in synagogues and temples and the like, is sometimes more subtly dealt with. I’m not trying to say therefore we should get rid of both of them. But we should be honest in the fact that the misogyny reflected in hip-hop is a reflection of the deep and profound misogyny in the culture at large. But they should be held accountable, and they should be challenged.

AMY GOODMAN: What about women hip-hop artists?

MICHAEL ERIC DYSON: Yeah, well, you know what? Many of them are reduced to either being the kind of reverse-Lothario or a woman who's like sexually promiscuous and shows that I can hang with the guys. Or when you have a person like a Lauryn Hill, a Bahamadia, a Queen Latifah, MC Lyte, a tremendous rhetorical flow and enormous gift, they're often marginalized -- or Eve -- within the context of hip-hop culture. There's not much room for women, when you think about it, pound for pound, as there are for men who possess this gift and this talent. It's seen as a man's world. And, unfortunately, what that means is that the viewpoints and perspectives of progressive feminist women are not as largely circulated or broadly amplified.

Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 10:43am

That's why I had High hopes for Boss in 93, I know she was Dysons description of the latter choices, ie; overly masculine "kind of reverse-Lothario", I can contend with that more than the promiscuity-Trina comn' right out saying she gone fukm, and sukm, for money with no panties, pitifulsurrender no such thing as a retired prostitute.

I don't even see her as a hip hop artist but her style makes my caseafro.
14 yrs and no female has stepped up, L. Hill said something, but where in the hell did she go? Now N. Furtado all over the place.

Edited by Anomis - October 12 2007 at 12:33am
jamaicakid85 View Drop Down
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaicakid85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Anomis Anomis wrote:

I can contend with that more than the promiscuity-Trina comn' right out saying she gone fukm, and sukm, for money with no panties, pitifulsurrender no such thing as a retired prostitute.
I don't even see her as a hip hop artist but her style makes my caseafro.
14 yrs and no female has stepped up, L. Hill said something, but where in the hell did she go? Now N. Furtado all over the place.

Well there is always Jean Grae. And lol @ Trina I never really liked her anyway all her songs was corny to me she isn't on the same level of skill that Remy,Shawwna, or Jean Grae is on as a matter of fact she has ghostwriters on a regular basis. Using ghostwriters = Sucker MC.

Waves(2001-Present)
Willie SKRILLA View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie SKRILLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 4:43pm
What? Sorry I don't speak feminist.
You can't win with women. You just have to maintain."
- Wave Connection

Real Recognize Real
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 6:20pm
Jkid
duly noted, those are some talented women, grounded.
my major case is the fact that an artist can love his mama, in most cases, but all other women are pu55y pieces. Psychoanalyis is in order.
Rapping about a lived experience.......therapeutic, but to have that be an ongoing philosophy, to that I say
"tell me about your childhood"
4real.

Edited by Anomis - October 11 2007 at 6:21pm
25cent View Drop Down
Hip Hop Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 25cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 6:39pm
L. Hill I heard is having some major problems

Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 12:50am
Last I heard 25, Hill was meditated, I hope the sista is ok.

Grae,  ((gotta check for Bahamadia)), M1, Talib, Common, and a few others feel my pain, and agree with my diagnosis.
No empire lasts for ever check it.
Misogyny (hatred, dislike or mistrust of women), and greed, gonna be the end of hip hop, watch, mark my words, and just b/c it's not dead does not mean it's not in agony.

Edited by Anomis - October 12 2007 at 12:53am
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaicakid85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 8:13am
Ignorance is going to do the younger generation of black people in, and I haven't heard about Bahamadia in years.

Waves(2001-Present)
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by jamaicakid85 jamaicakid85 wrote:

Ignorance is going to do the younger generation of black people in, and I haven't heard about Bahamadia in years.

J, Part of the issue is younger generations taking pride in being ignorant, NOT all of them but some younger cats thinking it's colorful, envogue, to sound like an a-hole. 
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaicakid85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 1:01pm
I know that schit pisses me off, you are supposed to eventually grow out of that stage where it's cool to be the "badguy" but the youngins now appear to be on the road to sticking with it and they think it's cool or hard to be incarcerated.

Waves(2001-Present)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic