Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair went too dark. What to do?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair went too dark. What to do?
    Posted: October 21 2007 at 7:25pm
Hello....
I've done it again. Had a light to medium blonde on the top layer
of my hair with dark brown everywhere else. It was too much to
keep up at once and since I bought dark brown extentions for
Halloween... I just went ahead and dyed all of my hair dark brown
again. I see now that I should've gone with light brown.

My hair has turned SO dark, it's nearly black. I'd still like to keep it
brown, just not this dark. A light brown or medium brown would
be better. How can I lighten this? Any ways you can think of...
trying not to damage the hair too much as I'm trying to let it grow
out... but I went and mucked it up and I guess I've got to fix it
somehow. Whatever help you guys can provide is always appreciated!

Thanks!!
charo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 9:44am
i've read that volumizing shampoo strips color, although i don't know how true it is.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 9:56am
You can try the baking soda wash and / or the clarifying wash.  Sometimes one or the other helps.  The clarifying shampoo sometimes works if the acidic nature of it makes the dye come out, and sometimes it needs alkaline (so for that you'd mix baking soda half and half with some shampoo and wash with that).  They may make enough come out that you like it.  Plan to condition really well after either wash, and maybe more than twice, they are extremely drying.  
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 2:51pm

Try fading it with regular tide.  Don't worry, it will fade. 

Rebekah
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 4:09pm
Thanks you guys! You always know the tricks!! cheekkiss
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 5:07am
Did you use permante or semi? If it doesnt fade you could try colorfix or Metalex and just strip the color out and put on a fresh color.

Metalex worked great for me last year.It's very oily so I didnt feel like it damaged my hair. I had dyed it this red color that came out so bright I looked like Ronald Mcdonald's evil twin. After using the Metalex it was a weird orangey color.Then I colored over it and it was fine! Still shiney and looked good.
Just make sure to pick the lighter brown when you color this time.
The first time I went darker my hair looked black! But it did fade after about two weeks to a nice light reddish brown.

Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 10:18am
Thanks Jules! Yeah, I used a permanent color...usually do.

You know, I was also wondering about those hairdyes that are
made for "dark hair only". On the box, it looks like it'll take dark
hair up a bit and lighten it to whatever color... like a light brown
I think some are red - just like regular hair dye. But instead of
darkening the color, it lightens it. Anybody know if these work?
I think they're made by Loreal.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 12:06am
No probWink

Colorfix is what you'd use than for permanent color.

I have seen those dyes for darker hair. I'm not sure you'd need them if you use the colorfix though. I think they are like a high lift color for brunettes that does lighten alot. I've never used them,so I'm not sure if they look brassy or too red. Seems like something to use if you have very dark hair that you want lightened,but not blonde. Just a lighter brown or reddish brown.
I have no idea if it would work with dyed darker hair though.Dyed darker hair is harder to lighten than naturally darker hair (I think.maybe Rebekah would know?)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic