Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how many days apart can you dye your hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
melissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how many days apart can you dye your hair
    Posted: June 05 2002 at 5:43pm
if i dyed my hair sunday and today is wednesday can i die my hair today

help
Jeanie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2002 at 8:42pm
Yes, you can dye it today.
CarrieM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarrieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2002 at 12:18am
Well, it depends... the answer is probably no. What did you use to dye your hair on Sunday, and why do you want to dye it again? It`s especially risky if you lightened it, and want to fix it by going darker, or vice versa. Believe me, I went through a phase last year when I dyed my hair several times close together, and believe me, the results weren`t pretty. It took me forever to grow it out, and I think there`s still some left. The more you dye your hair, the more dry and porous it becomes, which means faster color fading and more damage to your hair. If it`s a mistake you want to fix, I would go to a salon. If you absolutely don`t want to pay that much, then call the 1-800 number on the box of haircolor you used the first time, or want to use the second time, and explain your situation. Those people at the other end are pretty knowledgeable and can let you know what you can and can`t do regarding color. Good luck!!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2002 at 7:26am
The above poster is right on in urging to be careful with dyeing your hair. Here`s something to note....despite what colorists and the back of dye boxes tell you.....it doesn`t matter if you wait 10 minutes or 10 months before recoloring. The effect is the same: you are still dying damaged hair. All permanently colored hair is to some degree damaged, since the ammonia in dyes swells the hair shaft, thus allowing the color to get in. Since hair is dead--no cell turnover--it`s impossible for dyed hair to "get healthier." Even if you wait several weeks after one dye job, the hair will be exactly as damaged as it was immediately after coloring. Hair just can`t repair itself since it`s dead cells from the moment it leaves your scalp, and no amount of time is going to make it stronger or more fit to handle the dyeing process.

Dyeing and redyeing color-treated hair can lead to a fried head of hair. Now if your hair still looks like it`s in pretty decent condition, you can try coloring again--but just remember, even healthy hair can turn into a straw-like mess after one too many coloring jobs (I speak from experience, sigh.) I`m not anti-color (I have used it in the past and will again when I go gray) but I suggest you do it cautiously and not overdo it. Good luck! :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic